By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Diablo III took 9 months to port to Nintendo Switch

HollyGamer said:
Miyamotoo said: 

Maybe it was very easy, that again depends how big team was, its not same if you have team of 10-20 people and when you have team of 100+ people, and this game has huge amont of content. New games are done buy hole teams that usualy have 100+ people, late ports are done buy much smaller teams, that why new games are usualy done in 2-3 years buy 100+ people teams while ports are done in less than one year buy much smaller teams, and around 9 months is definitely around expected time for AAA game port.

There is huge difference between slightly and on pair, Switch in docked mode is around 3x stronger than PS3/360. And no, Switch is not on same gen graphic with Wii U espacily with PS3 and 360, it's somewhere between them and XB1/PS4. Fifa 18 for Switch is good example of this, not only that runs at 1080p compared to 720p on PS3/360, but also has higher quality effects, shaders, lighting, higher level of details, resolution textures, normal mapping, post-processing, depth of field...like DF stated, its mix of old and new. I mean even Doom and Wolfenstein 2 examples show us this, Switch versions have almost all effects and graphics features like PS4/XB1 while resolution and frame rate were cutback.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-fifa-18-switch-face-off

Fifa are not using the same graphic engine with Fifa 2018 on PS4 and Xbox One , Doom and Wolfstain is different case even my potato PC from 2009 taht is equal to PS3 and Xbox 360can still play the games with graphical downgrade. 

Nothing you wrote doesnt goes against what I wrote, I was comparing PS3/360 versions of Fifa with Switch version of Fifa, and we talking about huge difference, Fifa Switch using custom engine, and Switch version is clearly somewhere betwine PS3/360 and XB1/PS4 version of games. Doom and Wolfenstein 2 on Switch have almost all effects and graphics features like PS4/XB1 versions of games, you couldnt do same thing on PS3/360 simple because Switch support modern engines, features, effects, APIs...while PS3/360 dont (in case of PS3/360 we talking about 2005. tehnology, in case of Switch we talking about 2015.technology with noticeably stronger power).

Around the Network

It means absolutely nothing without knowing the number of man-hours put in that port.

This has probably been discussed here already, but porting a 7th-gen game is probably quite different than porting an 8th-gen game. A 7th-gen game probably runs without any significant changes, but an 8th-gen game is bound to get some easily noticeable changes, which takes manpower. Of course with enough manpower, it takes less time, but it takes more effort to get to the same time.

That means that we should have had a lot more third party announcements by now.
I guess it won't,'t get better than it is now on that front.

maxleresistant said:

I dont understand this logic? Just because games aren't announced doesn't mean they aren't being made.

This game is proof of that, its been in development for about 9 months and just got announced a few weeks ago.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
NoirSon said:
Yeah given they are reworking the game for both the docked mode and portable and porting to new hardware usually takes time this isn't bad.

Now Dragon Quest XI assuming they are just porting the PS4/PC release and have been doing so since it was announced that is too long.

That's the worst joke in all of gaming right now. Square is literally just obligated to wait until the game's western release on Tuesday before they can talk specifics about the Switch version. They've admitted themselves that late September is the "right time" to talk about it. 

... and here I am, waiting on my PS4 pre-order, and I'll double dip for portable lol.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

maxleresistant said:

Strange logic if you do not think they all started to make Switch games in same time, no to mention that in plenty cases 3rd parties for Switch are announced only 1-2 months before launch. Its logical to assume that how Switch install base if growing and Switch HW and SW continue to sell well Switch will get stronger 3rd party support. This year we had more 3rd party announcements than we had last year (and we still have 4 hole months of this year) and next year we will have more announcements than we had this year.

Miyamotoo said:
HollyGamer said:

Fifa are not using the same graphic engine with Fifa 2018 on PS4 and Xbox One , Doom and Wolfstain is different case even my potato PC from 2009 taht is equal to PS3 and Xbox 360can still play the games with graphical downgrade. 

Nothing you wrote doesnt goes against what I wrote, I was comparing PS3/360 versions of Fifa with Switch version of Fifa, and we talking about huge difference, Fifa Switch using custom engine, and Switch version is clearly somewhere betwine PS3/360 and XB1/PS4 version of games. Doom and Wolfenstein 2 on Switch have almost all effects and graphics features like PS4/XB1 versions of games, you couldnt do same thing on PS3/360 simple because Switch support modern engines, features, effects, APIs...while PS3/360 dont (in case of PS3/360 we talking about 2005. tehnology, in case of Switch we talking about 2015.technology with noticeably stronger power).

No, the switch version don't have any PS4 and Xbox One graphical effect , it fully basic graphic . 

HollyGamer said:
Miyamotoo said:

No, the switch version don't have any PS4 and Xbox One graphical effect , it fully basic graphic . 

You are wrong, fully basic graphic would mean that Switch version dont have those effects at all, while fact is that Switch version of Doom and Wolfenstein2 have almost all effects like PS4/XB1.

"So, in terms of overall visual makeup, the main rendering features offered by id Tech 6 are present and accounted for. The same lighting solution is used across all versions, particles and effects are retained, volumetric lighting is in and direct and indirect shadowing is present. It may be soft, but this is the complete Wolfenstein 2 experience running on portable hardware."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-wolfenstein-2-switch-tech-analysis

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 04 September 2018

Miyamotoo said:
HollyGamer said:

You are wrong, fully basic graphic would mean that Switch version dont have those effects at all, while fact is that Switch version of Doom and Wolfenstein2 have almost all effects like PS4/XB1,

Maybe you are right , but not all perhaps even less then 30% of PS4 and Xbox One effect , and  most of them are of 7th gen graphical effect . So it's still not on the same graphical fidelity with 8th gen games.