By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trumps Approval Outpace Reagan, Clinton and Carter

Do you Approve of President Trump?

Yes 42 39.62%

No 59 55.66%

In the middle. 5 4.72%

Total:106

Can't say I didn't see this coming. With the extremely egocentric stance a good chunk of Americans have, it doesn't surprise me they supported breaking ties and making enemies with the rest of the world. Because diplomacy isn't worth shit these days. This mentality of "The hell with everyone else. Me. Me. Only me and me." will only leave us in dire situations when the shit really hits the fan.

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:

One thing that may be worth keeping in mind is that those presidents tended to have substantially lower disapproval ratings as well; in other words, fewer people were openly unhappy with the job they were doing when compared to Trump. As something of a breakdown of the three presidents mentioned, during each of their second years in office, here's how many ten day (give or take, sometimes it's not entirely consistent) periods they had disapproval ratings of 50% or higher (citing UCSB here)

Jimmy Carter: 0

Ronald Raegan: 1

Bill Clinton: 8

By comparison, Donald Trump had already accumulated 15 of those such periods by May of his second year (sadly there aren't any statistics past that point yet). If you're willing to look to other polling aggregate sites such as Five Thirty Eight to try and put together a picture of his disapproval rating since then, his disapproval rating hasn't been below 50% since March of this year; a five month span. Between the other three presidents combined, there was only one span where any of them went more than a month with a disapproval rating of 50% or more in their first two years, and that lasted for just over two months.

I think the story here may be more of Americans being more willing to pick a side on Trump rather than the media just misrepresenting things. In our current climate of greater political divisiveness, people are more likely to form an opinion rather than stay out of the fray, which can be good for political participation, but also leads to uninformed opinions in many cases.

Trump could walk into every single person house in America and give every person a million dollars cash and cure cancer and still 50% of the country would think he is the next Hitler.

Our country has become such a hateful partisanship place that looking at past ratings versus now is meaningless.

trump has done more for black people than obama, going by the employment numbers... that in itself says a lot about the situation

o_O.Q said:
trump has done more for black people than obama, going by the employment numbers... that in itself says a lot about the situation

Going by employment numbers, unemployment fell by 4.8% from the start of Obama's first term to the end of his second term. Trump hasn't done even close to that amount.

More economic and other indicators here: https://www.factcheck.org/2017/09/obamas-final-numbers/

Mr_No said:
Can't say I didn't see this coming. With the extremely egocentric stance a good chunk of Americans have, it doesn't surprise me they supported breaking ties and making enemies with the rest of the world. Because diplomacy isn't worth shit these days. This mentality of "The hell with everyone else. Me. Me. Only me and me." will only leave us in dire situations when the shit really hits the fan.

how much have you personally given to charity?

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
o_O.Q said:

Going by employment numbers, unemployment fell by 4.8% from the start of Obama's first term to the end of his second term. Trump hasn't done even close to that amount.

More economic and other indicators here: https://www.factcheck.org/2017/09/obamas-final-numbers/

the employment numbers for black people are higher now than they were at the end of the obama presidency, that's fact

and i'm saying that shows that the black community has a lot to be thankful for when it comes to trump

he's grabbing the problem of unemployment by the horns and wrestling it to the ground, like a bull fighter or something

o_O.Q said:
Megiddo said:

the employment numbers for black people are higher now than they were at the end of the obama presidency, that's fact

and i'm saying that shows that the black community has a lot to be thankful for when it comes to trump

he's grabbing the problem of unemployment by the horns and wrestling it to the ground, like a bull fighter or something

I'm not sure if you understand basic math or what seems to be the issue, but President Obama did far more to improve unemployment than President Trump has done. That's reality. Don't you want to live in reality instead of make believe?

Being more approved than Carter, Clinton, and Reagan is hardly a success story. It's a little bit like saying that Trump is preferable cancer. But it is true that to an extent the media has been overly harsh, to an extent no other president of the US has encountered.

SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

The White House had to issue an apology for lying about that yesterday. 

http://fortune.com/2018/08/15/sarah-sanders-african-american-job-growth-claim/

nothing you've posted contradicts the claim that employment numbers are lower now than they were under obama and it actually confirms that employment numbers fell under obama initially

Well, yeah, unlike Trump, Obama was handed an economy that was in the dumpster thanks to the prior administration's idiocy. That's why Obama's overall numbers are so impressive, because his administration turned the economy completely around.