By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trumps Approval Outpace Reagan, Clinton and Carter

Do you Approve of President Trump?

Yes 42 39.62%

No 59 55.66%

In the middle. 5 4.72%

Total:106
PSintend0 said:
I don´t know how long US can sustain with that back-and-fort mentality. Surprising that a leader that globally so hated has such good approval rate in the US :/

It's been happening for almost 250 years now.

Around the Network

One thing that may be worth keeping in mind is that those presidents tended to have substantially lower disapproval ratings as well; in other words, fewer people were openly unhappy with the job they were doing when compared to Trump. As something of a breakdown of the three presidents mentioned, during each of their second years in office, here's how many ten day (give or take, sometimes it's not entirely consistent) periods they had disapproval ratings of 50% or higher (citing UCSB here)

Jimmy Carter: 0

Ronald Raegan: 1

Bill Clinton: 8

By comparison, Donald Trump had already accumulated 15 of those such periods by May of his second year (sadly there aren't any statistics past that point yet). If you're willing to look to other polling aggregate sites such as Five Thirty Eight to try and put together a picture of his disapproval rating since then, his disapproval rating hasn't been below 50% since March of this year; a five month span. Between the other three presidents combined, there was only one span where any of them went more than a month with a disapproval rating of 50% or more in their first two years, and that lasted for just over two months.

I think the story here may be more of Americans being more willing to pick a side on Trump rather than the media just misrepresenting things. In our current climate of greater political divisiveness, people are more likely to form an opinion rather than stay out of the fray, which can be good for political participation, but also leads to uninformed opinions in many cases.

The economy is fine but I will never understand how anyone can trust a politician that lies like this https://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/
Aside from that the trade war is stupid and unnecessary, banning trans people from the military is just pandering to homophobia within his voter base, his tax cuts benefit the rich way more than average Americans, he doesn't give a single fuck about the environment and his immigration policies are both inhumane and do nothing to solve the root of the problem but I guess most people don't care as long as they have some vague promise of a tax cut.

Soundwave said:

So does the approval rating count now? Or are Trump supporters gonna try and have it both ways and say it only counts in situations that look favorable to him? Because its been lower than other president's for the majority of his tenure and will likely dip down below, Obama had a full blown economic crisis put onto his plate at that point in his presidency because the mortgage collapse, Reagan's approval rating jumped after he got shot (lol), Clinton's took off as the dot com boom emerged as his presidency went along. 

Trump has a red hot economy (one he inherited from Obama), at least on external metrics, and his approval rating is only 42%, meaning he can't even crack 50% in fairly favorable conditions. I don't think that bodes well for him, it means any down tick in the economy (which is inevitable) will send his numbers crashing into the 30s.

Oh, the one he inherited from Bush?  

vivster said:
Aeolus451 said:

Lol. Obama's had a similar approval rating.

I guess that means approval ratings don't mean anything in the US?

They don't.  Look no further than the title of the thread.  Jimmy Carter left office as one of the least popular Presidents in the history of the country.  His final approval rating was 34%.  The first George Bush hit a high of 89% and a low of 29%.

It's basically a snapshot of where the economy is at the moment and often has little to do with the overall job done by the President, as policy decisions can take years before the effects are felt by the populace.  This is true for all Presidents, Republican and Democrat.  

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
Soundwave said:

So does the approval rating count now? Or are Trump supporters gonna try and have it both ways and say it only counts in situations that look favorable to him? Because its been lower than other president's for the majority of his tenure and will likely dip down below, Obama had a full blown economic crisis put onto his plate at that point in his presidency because the mortgage collapse, Reagan's approval rating jumped after he got shot (lol), Clinton's took off as the dot com boom emerged as his presidency went along. 

Trump has a red hot economy (one he inherited from Obama), at least on external metrics, and his approval rating is only 42%, meaning he can't even crack 50% in fairly favorable conditions. I don't think that bodes well for him, it means any down tick in the economy (which is inevitable) will send his numbers crashing into the 30s.

I mean, do you want me to post the actual economic indicators that Obama inherited as he got into office? Or are you just pretending to have a lack of knowledge?

LivingMetal said:
Soundwave said:

I know what you're trying to say but you picked an exceptionally poor example.

Ya this article is saying his approval rating are not the worst... just close

pokoko said:
LivingMetal said:

I know what you're trying to say but you picked an exceptionally poor example.

Not when you've worked for the largest steel provider in North America for the past  11 years and have been in the industry for over 23 years total...

Last edited by LivingMetal - on 15 August 2018

Trump hasn't really done much which people can thank him for.

He got elected with decreasing unemployment numbers for years and just like other countries as well USA has some 'best since 20 years' numbers simply because of WW economy.

If the economy around the workd wouldn't be that good, you would look at bad numbers if it comes to USA's economy.

And if we don't look at the economy, Trump has not really much positive to show.

I think such an approval rating is pretty horrible thinking about the positive economy. All these great numbers and still at 41%...

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 15 August 2018