By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Truth behind MS and Rare

Veknoid_Outcast said:
This is already well documented, Azzanation. When Microsoft bought Rare it had already lost some of its best talent; there's a reason Nintendo didn't want to subsidize the studio. Breaking from Nintendo's orbit and then losing the Stampers' leadership only accelerated the decline. Microsoft's laissez-faire management probably made things worse.

I am not here trying to stick up for MS on this one. They could have managed Rare better however it seems many still like to point the blame game solely on MS because that's when Rare had there major declines. The truth that a lot of people seem to miss is that Rare wanted out from Nintendo hence they were looking for a buyer. They need support and cash and Nintendo just weren't doing that for them anymore. Which is a shame because when Rare and Nintendo were firing on all cylinders they were unstoppable. Sega, Nintendo's arch rival did not have a counter to Rare neither did Sony.

Around the Network

If people try to bring up "MS killed Rare" we should link them this thread.

Proud to be a Californian.

Azzanation said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
This is already well documented, Azzanation. When Microsoft bought Rare it had already lost some of its best talent; there's a reason Nintendo didn't want to subsidize the studio. Breaking from Nintendo's orbit and then losing the Stampers' leadership only accelerated the decline. Microsoft's laissez-faire management probably made things worse.

I am not here trying to stick up for MS on this one. They could have managed Rare better however it seems many still like to point the blame game solely on MS because that's when Rare had there major declines. The truth that a lot of people seem to miss is that Rare wanted out from Nintendo hence they were looking for a buyer. They need support and cash and Nintendo just weren't doing that for them anymore. Which is a shame because when Rare and Nintendo were firing on all cylinders they were unstoppable. Sega, Nintendo's arch rival did not have a counter to Rare neither did Sony.

Yeah, I think Nintendo's conservatism didn't work with Rare's ambition. It was time for a split.

It worked out well for both entities. Nintendo spent its money on Retro Studios in 1998 -- a smaller, more cost-effective studio that turned in several all-time great games -- and Rare got a large corporation to subsidize its larger-scale projects. 

But my point was, basically, that anyone who's paying attention knows that Microsoft didn't "kill" Rare. It just overpaid for, and then failed to improve or inspire, what had become, by 2003, a middle-of-the-road studio.

This wouldn't be a big deal if MS had some merit to their first party studios.

The reason people blame Microsoft is because they bought all those IPs and did nothing good with them. o many franchise buried.

Why buy all a studio with all those IPs if you don't want to grown those IPs? Clealry all the talent left before the purchase so that is the only logical sense when they bought them. They wanted those IPs.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
The reason people blame Microsoft is because they bought all those IPs and did nothing good with them. o many franchise buried.

Why buy all a studio with all those IPs if you don't want to grown those IPs? Clealry all the talent left before the purchase so that is the only logical sense when they bought them. They wanted those IPs.

You also don't want them to destroy them either. Make the games when there is something good to make. I can sort of understand why they didn't just jump into the IPs straight away. KI took a long time but finally hit with good success. I like to see more of that and it seems Battletoads is next on there radar *Fingers crossed*

In my opinion I would much rather wait for something good than just release and devalue the IPs by making them mediocre. I think if anything MS played it safe with the IPs because they know they have some of the richest and colourful line-up of games that gamers want. A bit like Valve with Half Life 3, they can easily make it just to shut the fans up but Valve know there sitting on a gold mine IP that when released at the right time can rake in a fortune.

Azzanation said:
Cobretti2 said:

You also don't want them to destroy them either. Make the games when there is something good to make. I can sort of understand why they didn't just jump into the IPs straight away. KI took a long time but finally hit with good success. I like to see more of that and it seems Battletoads is next on there radar *Fingers crossed*

In my opinion I would much rather wait for something good than just release and devalue the IPs by making them mediocre. I think if anything MS played it safe with the IPs because they know they have some of the richest and colourful line-up of games that gamers want. A bit like Valve with Half Life 3, they can easily make it just to shut the fans up but Valve know there sitting on a gold mine IP that when released at the right time can rake in a fortune.

Yer but its been like what 10plus years for some of them.

I agree KI looked good but i did not like the way they released it. The whole episode approach. What turned me off Microsoft this generation was when the Halo collection come out and you still needed to download 20GB to make part of one of the games work. Now if you going to sell a huge anniversary collection the whole content shoudl be there.

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:
Wait. Hold on a second. Microsoft paid a whopping $375 million for them? That's a huge amount and they've not worked out well for them.

$375 million isn't that much compared to some other purchases they've made. They probably paid more for the Gears IP.

In theory, a few hits like Kinect Sports 1+2 (8+ million sold), Rare Replay, Killer Instinct, and Sea of Thieves could have recouped much of their investment.

I'd argue it has worked out well for them given they have a large library of content, IPs, and potential content for the future.

Didn't they spend like 2 billion advertising kinect ?And didn't they only pay 50m for gears? 

CaptainExplosion said:

Actually the Stamper brothers have a new company circa 2015. They just haven't unveiled anything major yet.

Very interesting and i am curious to what they still bring to the table. I wouldnt be suprised if its a small game.

Cobretti2 said:

Yer but its been like what 10plus years for some of them.

I agree KI looked good but i did not like the way they released it. The whole episode approach. What turned me off Microsoft this generation was when the Halo collection come out and you still needed to download 20GB to make part of one of the games work. Now if you going to sell a huge anniversary collection the whole content shoudl be there.

Well to be fair, thats more on Rare not MS. They attempted Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie. They just didnt know what to do with the IPs since the leads left.

KI could have released with more content but thats expected for a launch title, but no excuses, they could have waited. Also KI was a solid reboot of a legendary IP and Rares Replay is one of the best collections of games going around.

Kerotan said:

Didn't they spend like 2 billion advertising kinect ?And didn't they only pay 50m for gears? 

They spent $3b just on Minecraft.

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

$375 million isn't that much compared to some other purchases they've made. They probably paid more for the Gears IP.

In theory, a few hits like Kinect Sports 1+2 (8+ million sold), Rare Replay, Killer Instinct, and Sea of Thieves could have recouped much of their investment.

I'd argue it has worked out well for them given they have a large library of content, IPs, and potential content for the future.

I'm seeing articles claiming $500 million on Kinect advertising. However, that was essentially a 360 relaunch and holiday advertising. The Kinect and 360 sold really well that year.

I see no estimate for Gears of War, only a guess by Pachter for $100 million. In my opinion, $50-$100 million is reasonable for an IP that successful. The series has generated significantly more than that.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)