By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Is it ethically wrong to purchase something knowing you are going to return it?

COKTOE said:
contestgamer said:
No its not. If a loophole exists its your duty to exploit it, because someone else will.

Taking a screenshot of your comment. Just in case. gif unrelated

What exactly for? We're talking about legal loopholes open by businesses, which includes returns, etc. 

Around the Network
Peh said:
Yes. I think it is ethical wrong.
Depending on the company and how it calculated the costs for it's product, it could lead to a financial damage. The damage could be so small that it is not worth mentioning, or take some noteable hits on the company. Depends on what the product is and wether it can be reselled. It also depends on what kind of market the product belongs to. This is all generally speaking, of course.
There are a lot of differend factors coming into play.

But to sum it all up, buy a product with the purpose of keeping it.

OK, I agree it would be wrong to do it to a small business or individual, which I would refrain from. However mega companies like Amazon/Walmart I dont feel sorry for.

Bristow9091 said:
COKTOE said:

Taking a screenshot of your comment. Just in case. gif unrelated

Now I expect more unrelated gifs from you in the future. I want you to be known on the forums as "Gif Guy"... don't let me down.

I don't deal well with pressure. I'd be more comfortable if you banned me for a week.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Random_Matt said:
think-man said:

Doing it for a game you can't even name? Wow. 

Even more wow that you couldn't work out ghost of tsushima.

I knew the game you were talking about, I was referring to you buying a game that you can't even name. 

So...those kind of things seem hard to return, they will be used and store policies might not allow you to return it.

Last summer, I bought a belt as I needed one for a wedding, I don't wear belts usually, wore the belt at the wedding, come the next week, returned it. I just put the tag back on. It was a matter of days from when I bought it, it wasn't marked or damaged.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

No it's not ethical to hurt the economy.

Unless you're pirating Nintendo roms. Then you're not really hurting anyone.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

COKTOE said:
LittleSnake said:

Well yeah, what's the point in purchasing it if you're just going to return it? It's just a waste of time for yourself, and the seller. 

- snip myself. I said too much about things. Things and stuff. Nothing I did. But still. snip.

Huh?

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

Yeah its not morally right. Its much like pirating a game first to demo it than not buying the full version because it wasnt what you expected.

It's wrong especially with the examples you gave. Even what some women do with buying clothes just to wear them for date or a night out then return them is wrong.

LittleSnake said:
COKTOE said:

- snip myself. I said too much about things. Things and stuff. Nothing I did. But still. snip.

Huh?

I said more than I should have about a situation I knew about, was offered to be a part of, was successfully executed, and had an amusing anecdote occur over a year after the fact. I though better of it and edited my my comment.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."