By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Is it ethically wrong to purchase something knowing you are going to return it?

Your examples are a bit extreme lol.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
LittleSnake said:

Huh?

I said more than I should have about a situation I knew about, was offered to be a part of, was successfully executed, and had an amusing anecdote occur over a year after the fact. I though better of it and edited my my comment.

Ah, okay. Cool cool 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

COKTOE said:
LittleSnake said:

Huh?

I said more than I should have about a situation I knew about, was offered to be a part of, was successfully executed, and had an amusing anecdote occur over a year after the fact. I though better of it and edited my my comment.

Damn it! Now you've triggered my curiosity.

You can't leave it like that!

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

If you were at least on the fence about it then I'd say the policy is there to help customers not get burned by buying something they might want to return.... but this sounds like you've committed to both buying and returning of this card already before you've even gotten your hands on it.

I would be very much against this train of thought because if everyone made use of the policies which exist to protect legitimate customers then stores will start to suffer heavy loses because of them and then remove the protection which will cost the legit customer who needs this sort of policy to be in place.

TL:DR - Don't abuse good will policies, they are there for legit reasons, not a quick "lend of a graphics card/ps4"

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

JEMC said:
COKTOE said:

Sorry man. I'd love to say more, but not over the internet. I'm just glad I caught myself. Was a bit tipsy when I posted on Sunday.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

To the OP, you can actually rent graphic cards online, here is the link https://cuttingedgegamer.com/ I've never used this service so I cant tell how good it is but It is better than buying and then returning it.

People keep saying it is wrong, but what is wrong about it? Who is wronged by this? I see no harm in this. You did not lie, steal, or cheat. I would call it bad business sense to offer a no strings attached refund on a used air conditioner months later, but if they offer it, you are doing nothing wrong by accepting their offer. Same for the graphics card. It's bad business sense to offer a no strings attached refund for an opened graphics card, but if they offer it, it isn't ethically wrong to accept their offer.

Theres maybe some reasons where it woild be fine.
But for those reasons.... I would say its wrong.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

The arguments in here saying it would be wrong are all pretty weak, but the only one I saw with any merit is the idea that if this happens often enough, companies will get tired of losing money and remove the return policy, which is absurd. It is offered to help people, true, but all the company would have to do it put some conditions on it. For example, if a company selling air conditioners didn't want to get ripped off by people buying one at the beginning of the summer and returning it at the end, they could just put a time limit on the return. Two weeks should be enough to find out if it was defective for a typical customer, and short enough to make it not worth the hassle for OP. For the graphics card, it's even easier. Just make it so if the package is opened, you can't return it. Items like that usually have a warranty on them, so if the graphics card was defective, a customer that opened the package would just have to contact the company.

If anything, it would be unethical to expect the store to accept the loss of a returned defective product when it should be the manufacturers responsibility. However, if a store wanted to, it could offer to accept returns of opened graphics cards on the grounds that the card was defective, with the idea in mind that it could then claim the warranty guarantee from the manufacturer for themselves. In such a case, OP could still buy and return the product, but he would have to lie to claim it was defective, which at that point would be unethical because of the lying, but probably would still cause minimal harm as the company would only offer such a return policy if the warranty policy didn't require a significant burden of proof of defectiveness to claim the manufacturers guarantee, and the manufacturer would likely only offer such a warranty if they had a plan for products that weren't actually defective, which they often do.

COKTOE said:
JEMC said:

Sorry man. I'd love to say more, but not over the internet. I'm just glad I caught myself. Was a bit tipsy when I posted on Sunday.

Dont' worry, I understand you. Still, it's a shame as it looked to be a good story.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.