By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Is it ethically wrong to purchase something knowing you are going to return it?

I never do it, even if I buy something that I end up not liking or needing, but on other hand why does returning exist in the first place? Some people will take advantage of anything they can.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

If you have to ask this question, chances are you already know it's wrong. And just want some one to give you a reason not to feel guilty.

Random_Matt said:
Doing this with the Amazon 30 day returns, if I need a PS4 that is. Only want to play the new Ghosts game or whatever it was called.

Doing it for a game you can't even name? Wow. 

think-man said:
Random_Matt said:
Doing this with the Amazon 30 day returns, if I need a PS4 that is. Only want to play the new Ghosts game or whatever it was called.

Doing it for a game you can't even name? Wow. 

Even more wow that you couldn't work out ghost of tsushima.

Yes it's definitely wrong.

Yet my family still and I still still do it lol. For example bought like 6 tower fans from costco for the summer, and immediately returned them all by October-ish. The obsession of hoarding up and saving money runs within the blood of every Indian, even if we have to use shady practices like these.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

Those policies are in place to protect consumers from getting a product that doesn't meet their expectations, or are damaged/faulty, etc.
Not so you can borrow a product for free. So if you consider abusing policies for purposes other than what they were intended for as wrong, then yes.

Random_Matt said: 

If it's a new PS4, I guess Amazon are then forced to sell it as used after you return it?
At least try to get a used PS4 and used copy of Ghost of Tsushima so you don't diminish the value of the product, since it can easily get avoided.

It would be a used one, unaware you can send a new one back once opened. Still think its a PS5 release and possibly PS4 Pro only.

Yes, but do it anyway because most companies would do the same to you if they could.

LittleSnake said:

Well yeah, what's the point in purchasing it if you're just going to return it? It's just a waste of time for yourself, and the seller. 

- snip myself. I said too much about things. Things and stuff. Nothing I did. But still. snip.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 12 August 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

No its not. If a loophole exists its your duty to exploit it, because someone else will.

contestgamer said:
No its not. If a loophole exists its your duty to exploit it, because someone else will.

Taking a screenshot of your comment. Just in case. gif unrelated

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."