By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Is it ethically wrong to purchase something knowing you are going to return it?

Why not wait for the prices to drop and then buy it?

Around the Network

If we want to stretch all the possible points of view to find acceptable cases, then there's just one case, if the shop has a no questions return policy that it's willing to fully use to attract customers, then no problem, but if you're exploiting a policy meant just to protect customers, then it's definitely wrong. BTW for the acceptable case, every now and then some shops explicitly apply a policy (Edit: actually this isn't even a return policy anymore, but a special offer) that lets customers buy the old model, then, when available, get the new one returning the old one and paying the difference.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

KBG29 said:

I hate when people take advantage of provisions that are supposed to protect consumers. It ends up hurting everyone else, Lost money hurts companies, and drives worse consumer protection. 

Couldn't have said it better!

Yes, this is wrong as you are abusing a system ment to protect the consumer.

If you decide to do it anyway atleast do it with a 2nd hand card ! (many online stores have outlets with opened/returned goods, which have the same return policies as new ones)

Doing this with the Amazon 30 day returns, if I need a PS4 that is. Only want to play the new Ghosts game or whatever it was called.

Around the Network

If you're buying the graphics card now and only returning it because it will be cheaper couldn't you just do some sort of price difference where they return you the difference from the price you bought it and the price it dropped to?

Also...there's like a new graphics card every week, you might as well never buy a graphics card if that what you plan on doing loll xD Just find the one you actually want and just buy that one, done and never look back.

Is it wrong to abuse a system ment to protect consumers? Yes because its hurting the seller's.

So yes, its morally wrong to do so.
Your knowingly cheating people of money, and work time.

I'm surprised they let you return these used products after months

Well yeah, what's the point in purchasing it if you're just going to return it? It's just a waste of time for yourself, and the seller. 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

With the examples you gave, yes, it is definitely wrong. But, in other circumstances I don't think it is. Let's say for example that you're doing some Home Improvement projects. You go to the hardware store and buy all of the possible things you think you might need, with the intent to return all of the unused items. I see no problem with this, As long as you don't first use the items and then return them.

I use this example specifically because both Home Depot and Lowe's encourage this Behavior. So, in some cases, The company you're dealing with actually wants you to do that. I figured it from there and they're thinking is that even if you intend to return all the stuff, maybe you won't.