By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Online LIVE, 20 NES and upcoming titles, Service FAQ, cloud save details, requirement depends on publisher

Cloud saves are not free?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
So I'm paying for save back-ups which I can't even use on my single most important save file being over 1000 hours of Splatoon 2. Good shit!

I bet now you wish you hadn't been so open about save-scumming in Splatoon 1. Nintendo took note.

It's good that they took note, the problem is this be the wrong solution. Shoulda removed the biggest reason for save scumming in the first place being the rng gear system.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
RolStoppable said:

I bet now you wish you hadn't been so open about save-scumming in Splatoon 1. Nintendo took note.

It's good that they took note, the problem is this be the wrong solution. Shoulda removed the biggest reason for save scumming in the first place being the rng gear system.

Or kept that data up in the server.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

The splatoon 2 thing is more the fault of a design choice which falls on the development team. Maybe Nintendo management just didn't force them to forsee this option. Likely a sign that Nintendo didn't fully know how to deal with payed online when S2 was in development.

Still waiting for the direct though. It should be thursday or friday i guess.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Hm. More compromise with the Switch paid online service.Very surprising. So, there's still no way to back up data to a physical device, which is an armpit scratching, finger sniffing, caveman level feature. Server saves are the only option. Which you have to give money to Nintendo access. Oh, and it's not a universal feature.....

- Splatoon 2
- Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu
- Pokemon Let's Go Eevee
- Dark Souls Remastered
- Dead Cells
- FIFA 19
- NBA 2K19
- NBA Playgrounds

Those are the games confirmed to not support cloud saves. It's a small list at least.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
COKTOE said:
Hm. More compromise with the Switch paid online service.Very surprising. So, there's still no way to back up data to a physical device, which is an armpit scratching, finger sniffing, caveman level feature. Server saves are the only option. Which you have to give money to Nintendo access. Oh, and it's not a universal feature.....

- Splatoon 2
- Pokemon Let's Go Eevee
- Dark Souls Remastered
- Dead Cells
- FIFA 19
- NBA 2K19
- NBA Playgrounds

Those are the games confirmed to not support cloud saves. It's a small list at least.

Why do you think third-party games like Dark souls are opting into this when they already allow it on PS and Xbox?

Apparently the dark souls games don't have cloud saving on steam either. So what separate PS and Xbox vs Switch and PC?

Aside from save scumming? I honestly have no idea. It should be a universal feature. Dead Cells is an eyebrow raiser too. I'm wondering if the list of unsupported games will grow?

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Bandorr said:
COKTOE said:

Aside from save scumming? I honestly have no idea. It should be a universal feature. Dead Cells is an eyebrow raiser too. I'm wondering if the list of unsupported games will grow?

If given the option and it solves even .1 percent of problems for a game company - why wouldn't they choose it?  Then again that is pretty negative.

Feels like the answer is in why Dark souls allows it on PS, but not PC.  Are the PC and Nintendo games developed in a way that they need a feature like this? Or is it a case of "we want this, we got this". So if they had their way they would choose this.

I am curious how say Splatoon 2 is different than Mario Kart 8. If I can save scum my rank in Spatoon 2, can I also do that in Mario kart 8 with points?

My understanding with Splatoon 2, is that it saves online progression locally to the system as opposed to an online server, which is how basically every other online game saves online progression. So basically, in Splatoon 2, cloud saves would make it easier to cheat. I'm not 100 percent sure on this, but read something to that effect when skimming a few different articles.

Bandorr said:
COKTOE said:

My understanding with Splatoon 2, is that it saves online progression locally to the system as opposed to an online server, which is how basically every other online game saves online progression. So basically, in Splatoon 2, cloud saves would make it easier to cheat. I'm not 100 percent sure on this, but read something to that effect when skimming a few different articles.

Right I believe that is true. So what other games are like that? Mario Kart? Mario Aces? It would be strange if only Splatoon 2 was designed that way. So I'm worried more games will be designed that way. Which in turn makes more games without save files.

Well, for now, it looks like those other games are good to go. If Kart and Aces had the same problem, it likely would be known.

Bandorr said:
COKTOE said:

- Splatoon 2
- Pokemon Let's Go Eevee
- Dark Souls Remastered
- Dead Cells
- FIFA 19
- NBA 2K19
- NBA Playgrounds

Why do you think third-party games like Dark souls are opting into this when they already allow it on PS and Xbox?

Apparently the dark souls games don't have cloud saving on steam either. So what separate PS and Xbox vs Switch and PC?

NBA are likely because of the size of those save files, the new game has a save file which is 5GB so uploading and downloading that to the cloud wouldn't exactly be a fast upload after a game for most users.

Although the original Switch Minecraft isn't on the list (yet) and that save file is 2GB, not to mention MC now has servers that they're trying to sell themselves as a sort of cloud storage for the bedrock version of the game. so yeah.... MC seems like one that will likely join this list soon imo, for various reasons.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Bandorr said:
Ganoncrotch said:

NBA are likely because of the size of those save files, the new game has a save file which is 5GB so uploading and downloading that to the cloud wouldn't exactly be a fast upload after a game for most users.

Although the original Switch Minecraft isn't on the list (yet) and that save file is 2GB, not to mention MC now has servers that they're trying to sell themselves as a sort of cloud storage for the bedrock version of the game. so yeah.... MC seems like one that will likely join this list soon imo, for various reasons.

I've considered Size before. That seems more like a blanket Nintendo preventive feature. "No size files over 5 gigs". Plus why would Microsoft or NBA opt in to not allowing cloud saves over X file size?

5 Gigs over wifi seems huge. But even though my PS has an ethernet slot - I don't use it. I use it for wifi. So technically if I ever played NBA on my PS - I'd be uploading those save files on my wifi.

Considering PSN+ cloud storage is just 10GB I still wouldn't really advise using the cloud as a method of keeping onto a save file that size, esp on the ps4 where you can just as easily move the file from a console to a usb drive and save it on a PC.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive