By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will there actually be a 3DS successor?

The whole point of the Switch is to:

A) Be able to play on a TV or as a handheld, depending on your preference/needs
B) Combine Nintendo's software development to focus on a single platform

It's B that would really piss me off if they brought out another dedicated handheld, especially if they move Fire Emblem back to the small screen.

The only sensible thing they could do in this area, is to make a new SKU of the Switch that is portable-only. I myself have been wanting a TV-only SKU, as it would never leave the dock anyway (I don't own one, yet).

Currently Replaying: Baten Kaitos

Around the Network

I agree that the switch is the 3ds sucessor, i think that when the switch come down in price they can make a more rugged switch for kids. Nintendo handheld always could take a lot of punishment, the switch is the most fragile one and to be a kids system that has to be addressed. The 3ds still has about a year or two so nintendo has time.

NOT HAPPENING

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Yes there will be. I don't want one, but Nintendo wouldn't miss out on that money.

Knowing Nintendo, there will be a direct succesor to the 3DS that isn’t called the Switch, thus outraging and alienating 90% of gamers.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

No, Nintendo would have to be crazy to split their 1st/2nd party development resources between 2 platforms, especially since 3rd party support is starting to dry up (and will dry up even more once Xbox Scarlett and PS5 release). They will probably release a Switch Mini instead, pocket sized, no dock, lower price tag. 

??? Third party support is actually getting better for Switch, and will be even better next year. 

Ultrashroomz said:
Knowing Nintendo, there will be a direct succesor to the 3DS that isn’t called the Switch, thus outraging and alienating 90% of gamers.

I don't think so. Nothing about the 3DS really warrants a direct successor, since Nintendo knows that most people are using the Switch exactly the way they want them to. Plus they've even acknowledged several times that the 3DS is an entry point to the Switch, which basically confirms that it's the successor. 

shikamaru317 said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

??? Third party support is actually getting better for Switch, and will be even better next year. 

Meant to say western 3rd party support. JP support is great and is looking to get even better, but like 80% of western AA's and AAA's are skipping Switch and that's not likely to change with Switch being so much weaker than XB1 and PS4. 

Even Western Support is picking up. Obviously Switch isn't going to get most of the demanding AAA games, but everything else should be fair game. That should become clear by next year, when developers have had enough time to integrate the Switch into future projects. 

It's called Switch

they will make a mini switch, rebranding it as the new handheld/3ds sucessor.
Maybe they will add some exclusive feature that do not make it more expensive, it will mainly be a mini switch.

This topic has been beaten to death over the last couple of years.