By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No mans sky is absolutely brilliant in 2018. (Addictive as space crack)

No mans Sky in 2018.

Impressed 13 31.71%

On the fence still. 8 19.51%

Disappointed 9 21.95%

Have yet to play 11 26.83%

Comments/Indifferent/Middle America... 0 0%

Total:41
John2290 said:
vivster said:
Are you saying Miyamoto is a liar?

Wait what? 

...what is it I'm missing for this comment to make since? 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2012/apr/27/shigeru-miyamoto-rushed-game-forever-bad

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
John2290 said:

I thought that too at first. Best advice is get on the base building quest as everything connects back to that in some way or another. The game heavily pushes the main quests at you now but you really have to dive in and take initivate with the side quests and even more so for job quests even though you should be able to find some alien shmo at any space station willing to give you side quests and jobs quests are available always on the right at the merchants guild. Anyway, best way to fall into the loop is through base building, following the Artemis quest line which is the new main quest scenario is another option. I nearly gave up before I seen twitch players doing things I'd never seen in the game before.... or fuck it. You can just fly around space and wander around amd content will eventually pop up. Beware the humming eggs!

Honestly, I'm not sure what I wanted from the game when I first bought it. Maybe Minecraft but space edition? When I first played minecraft there was little explanation, just go and do stuff. I did stuff and learnt and that was part of the fun.

When I first for No Man's Sky, the first few hours were amazing. Being plonked on a planet, exploring, rebuilding your ship, scavenging etc. Leaving the planet for the first time, landing on a new one, seeing how it differs, the space station.

Then you warp to a new system and it was the same... after you are just getting the same resources, then then more money to get a better ship to get more resources. I think at one point I was only playing to 'reach the centre' but then just gave up. I didn't understand the weird anomoly things either, I just landed on a planet, looked for 2 seconds then left.

I'm just not sure if I can sit through all the crap again to get to the base building.

And Humming Eggs? They anything like the Pearls? I used to love stealing those then running for my ship. :P

Hmm, pie.

Is the single player still shit, not interested in MP?

I think the game is now fantastic. Been playing this pretty much exclusively since it came out. I'm always sitting at work getting that hankering to play. The sheer amount of content is a huge improvement, and mutliplayer is a game changer. I don't ever play online with strangers, but my brother and I just have voice chat set up and we explore independently as well as together, and often do freighter quests together in between working on the various quest lines. The PC mouse and keyboard interface needs some work, though I can also use a controller on PC. And there's the odd bug, but nothing game breaking, and not a single crash yet.

And some of the planets look fucking amazing.

PS: Star Citizen is not a scam. People need to really look up the definition for that word.

John2290 said:
The Fury said:

Honestly, I'm not sure what I wanted from the game when I first bought it. Maybe Minecraft but space edition? When I first played minecraft there was little explanation, just go and do stuff. I did stuff and learnt and that was part of the fun.

When I first for No Man's Sky, the first few hours were amazing. Being plonked on a planet, exploring, rebuilding your ship, scavenging etc. Leaving the planet for the first time, landing on a new one, seeing how it differs, the space station.

Then you warp to a new system and it was the same... after you are just getting the same resources, then then more money to get a better ship to get more resources. I think at one point I was only playing to 'reach the centre' but then just gave up. I didn't understand the weird anomoly things either, I just landed on a planet, looked for 2 seconds then left.

I'm just not sure if I can sit through all the crap again to get to the base building.

And Humming Eggs? They anything like the Pearls? I used to love stealing those then running for my ship. :P

Nah,I'm not going to spoil the humming eggs for ya. :D.

Actually you're talking about whispering eggs.  The humming eggs still have those pearls.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
I'm conflicted on this game. Should I buy after that and make the practise of finishing games post-launch look acceptable in the eyes of other devs, or should I not buy it and make it look like it's not worth save a game like that after it fails?

I think if a developer puts in that much work on FREE updates that are actually good, they deserve to be rewarded for it.

John2290 said:
KLXVER said:
I bought it when it came out and beat it. No need to play it again unless its completely different. Ive mined enough minerals for a lifetime.

It's conpletely different. Theres a 30 hour story (which im finding really entertaining so far) Dozens of side quests, dozens of jobs, a lengthy base building sub quest (I'm 20 hours in on that one and its really fun). It has a space fleet managment meta game, there is emergent gameplay all over the shop from new easter eggs type deals as you explore and ontop of that the prodecural generation is overhauled making everything look so much better than 2 years ago, planets are much more beutiful, interesting and really surprising at times, sometimes I don't want to leave them. Even the third person cameras make the game feel different and much more enjoyable for some reason. The drop in, drop out multiplayer is great.... basically everything except for the first two hours is different. There is triple if not quadruple the amount of content and it's good quality content too.

It's well worth returning too and I'm so glad I did. 

Wait there is a story mode and full proper blown out story?

John2290 said:
CladInShadows said:
I think the game is now fantastic. Been playing this pretty much exclusively since it came out. I'm always sitting at work getting that hankering to play. The sheer amount of content is a huge improvement, and mutliplayer is a game changer. I don't ever play online with strangers, but my brother and I just have voice chat set up and we explore independently as well as together, and often do freighter quests together in between working on the various quest lines. The PC mouse and keyboard interface needs some work, though I can also use a controller on PC. And there's the odd bug, but nothing game breaking, and not a single crash yet.

And some of the planets look fucking amazing.

PS: Star Citizen is not a scam. People need to really look up the definition for that word.

Nah,never said It's a scam but they are taking the piss now and have falling into a way of profiting without releasing the game. The game will never release in the traditional sense and they will continue this whale hunting business after launch and among those whales who are well fed and can pay the hundreds to thousands in funding tiers there are many more smaller fish getting caught in the scheme and can't afford it. The game should be in a cohesive alpha already and not a series of vertical slices, it'll be another two years at least before they drop a beta if they ever even get there. It may not be a scam or started with that intent but it's very nearly bordering on it. This will always be early access and the money they've gotten has being horribly mismanaged. Many games have taken this same approach with a LOT less funding and have released finished products amazingly polished (e.g Project CARS) in a third the time since crowd funding was announced and in that example have pushed out a sequel. Insanely high aspirations or not its unacceptable but as I said,its on the funders for not pulling out even now and continuing to double down on fugasi. Squadron 46 will probably release as a finished product but anyone thinking the promise of a finished game can be met without charging full price even to funders and a great deal more funding between now and then. The point was anyway that NMS isn't in the same category as early access or crowd funded games for obvious reasons as they released a finished game,do those ethical worries should factor into any arguments. Perhaps, over hype and the issue with pushing to keep ontop of the hype should be the topic of discussion.

Yeah, I can't agree with you there.  Fact is, anyone who's paid into the crowd funding for Star Citizen has gotten dozens and dozens of playable builds.  The game is constantly progressing.  Also, as non-game-developers, we really have no reasonable leg to stand on when it comes to determining where they should or should not be in their development cycle, nor are we in any kind of position to determine how their funds have been managed.  Random internet posters all seem to be experts on how companies should or should not develop their games, but most times it's a bunch of hot air fueled by a lot of ignorance. Maybe if we weren't getting a constant stream of updates and playable builds, I'd feel differently.  But we are.  I guess I lump the whole "Star Citizen is a scam" thing into the same category as the "One Man's Lie" folks.

Anyways, I don't want to hijack this thread any more with SC talk.  NMS Next is awesome!

Last edited by CladInShadows - on 03 August 2018

John2290 said:
bananaking21 said:

Wait there is a story mode and full proper blown out story?

Yeah. Apparently 20-30 hours depending on what mode you choose I'm about 5 hours into it on creative. It's surprisingly deep and lore full, really interesting too. There's also a story to the base building quests which is seperate, it's more subtle but full of lore and there's a ton of smaller stories littered into side quests that seem to tie back to the new scenario. I'm not far enough into it to comment on that quite yet but I can see it so far. I think the story was added in the last Atlas rises update. Like I said in the OP, the game is really deep now, it's easy to tell when re-reviews( like IGNs horrible attempt) didn't even dive into that content added in the last two years and probably played for 5 hours or so for footage just experiencing the surface changes. 

I might buy it now if it's on sale for super extra cheap. I don't like the core gameplay loop of harvest, spend and harvest again. And to me this game is a huge risk. But it's good it has a story and decent lore. 

CladInShadows said:
Darwinianevolution said:
I'm conflicted on this game. Should I buy after that and make the practise of finishing games post-launch look acceptable in the eyes of other devs, or should I not buy it and make it look like it's not worth save a game like that after it fails?

I think if a developer puts in that much work on FREE updates that are actually good, they deserve to be rewarded for it.

Does no one remember the original 2010 release of FFXIV? Which is now a beloved game?