By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No mans sky is absolutely brilliant in 2018. (Addictive as space crack)

No mans Sky in 2018.

Impressed 13 31.71%

On the fence still. 8 19.51%

Disappointed 9 21.95%

Have yet to play 11 26.83%

Comments/Indifferent/Middle America... 0 0%

Total:41

I'm conflicted on this game. Should I buy after that and make the practise of finishing games post-launch look acceptable in the eyes of other devs, or should I not buy it and make it look like it's not worth save a game like that after it fails?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I bought it when it came out and beat it. No need to play it again unless its completely different. Ive mined enough minerals for a lifetime.

John2290 said:
KLXVER said:
I bought it when it came out and beat it. No need to play it again unless its completely different. Ive mined enough minerals for a lifetime.

It's conpletely different. Theres a 30 hour story (which im finding really entertaining so far) Dozens of side quests, dozens of jobs, a lengthy base building sub quest (I'm 20 hours in on that one and its really fun). It has a space fleet managment meta game, there is emergent gameplay all over the shop from new easter eggs type deals as you explore and ontop of that the prodecural generation is overhauled making everything look so much better than 2 years ago, planets are much more beutiful, interesting and really surprising at times, sometimes I don't want to leave them. Even the third person cameras make the game feel different and much more enjoyable for some reason. The drop in, drop out multiplayer is great.... basically everything except for the first two hours is different. There is triple if not quadruple the amount of content and it's good quality content too.

It's well worth returning too and I'm so glad I did. 

Well good on them for fixing it.

Darwinianevolution said:
I'm conflicted on this game. Should I buy after that and make the practise of finishing games post-launch look acceptable in the eyes of other devs, or should I not buy it and make it look like it's not worth save a game like that after it fails?

Did you buy Splatoon, Forza, or GT Sport?  It's a model that people are supporting already.

Mar1217 said:
pokoko said:

Did you buy Splatoon, Forza, or GT Sport?  It's a model that people are supporting already.

You're talking about decent games at launch that got better with time vs Bad game at launch that took 2 years to fix into something decent,

People need to support this model when it's done right, not when you're doing a Hello Games type of move.

That's not what he said, though.

And NMS got a 71 on PS4, which probably would have been a bit higher without the controversy.  ARMS got a 77, is that a better match?

Around the Network

1.53 is up for the PS4/XB1 folks.

The PS5 Exists. 

Mar1217 said:
pokoko said:

You're talking about decent games at launch that got better with time vs Bad game at launch that took 2 years to fix into something decent,

People need to support this model when it's done right, not when you're doing a Hello Games type of move.

Don’t forget the developer deliberately lying and misleading the gaming community in regards to what the game would include.

Those other three games aren’t really comparable here. Closest would be GT Sport i guess, since it’s seen substantial updates post release. But those were done to fix what the public found to be missing, not what was supposed to be there day one.

I wouldn't say genre leading, not when it's using hard coding for inventory spacing, as well as other aspects of the game and using Open GL.

The original premise gave some form of excitement when I first heard of it, but then it's eventual release managed to turn that into disappointment, which even with the current line of updates, I still feel with this game.

For years I've watched other indie games reach a complete form and then leaving ea, while also polishing up their products, and I've at times felt like they did a good job, but with NMS I felt like it was a lie from the start, but eventually after 2 years after it's initial release, it managed to come close to what it was trying to sell us 2 years prior.

Ultimately, like with all survival games out there, I eventually find out that whatever each game has to offer, is made pointless, because the most common theme and core aspect of all these open world generated survival games have is exploration and not much else. What I'm really looking for in terms of evolution for open world survival games is for them to contain more meaning to what they present, more content that has a reason to exist, other than just to sell you items and go "hello", while giving you the same kind of repetitive quest. The problem with wanting that, is that the world can no longer be self generating, because that can only get you so far, and it isn't anywhere close to being skin deep in terms of story and rich detail, which is why I look forward to games that take years to craft (looking at SC for one example) and show off their detailed worlds and stories they have to tell (which are rare and few in number for that genre anyway).

In the end I find NMS to being "alright", but still in need of performance patches, more content that makes better use of giving us more of a reason to explore, and less of a focus on simply becoming the librarian of the universe. That said, other indie devs need to learn to never pull a NMS again, and certainly never team up with one of the big 3 for such a release.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

LudicrousSpeed said:
Mar1217 said:

Don’t forget the developer deliberately lying and misleading the gaming community in regards to what the game would include.

Those other three games aren’t really comparable here. Closest would be GT Sport i guess, since it’s seen substantial updates post release. But those were done to fix what the public found to be missing, not what was supposed to be there day one.

Actually, now that I think about it, Sea of Thieves would be the best comparison, as it has a low Meta-score and got hammered for a lack of content at launch.  Thanks for reminding me of that.

Darwinianevolution said:

Hello Games and Sean Murry had a vision of a game they wanted to make.  They missed the mark by a long shot.  It took lots of player input and 2 years to fix.  No way in hell is this going to look acceptable by most devs, even with the pretty good success that this 'relaunch' is having.  I dare say that Hello Games will not make nearly as much profit from this as they would have if they had launched _this_ version of the game from the start.

This version of the game is damned fun, but still has some bugs that were there from the beginning.  Hopefully they will finally get fixed now that the game has been relaunched.  

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.