By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Q1 Software: PS4: 40.6M*; 43% digital (17.46M)... NSW: 17.96M**

Ps4 absolutely dominating software this gen. Digital sales are enormous on the platform and they are the most profitable.

Around the Network

The real story here is how much higher the tie-in rate that Switch had over PS4 despite not having much in the way of new software.

Basically, every Switch user bought a new game, while less than half of PS4 users did.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

The real story here is how much higher the tie-in rate that Switch had over PS4 despite not having much in the way of new software.

Basically, every Switch user bought a new game, while less than half of PS4 users did.

Agreed, and that without even including digital only titles. A ton of people, including me, picked up Hollow Knight this quarter and half of the eshop top 30 games are digital only. Hollow Knight alone sold 250,000 within two weeks of release so I feel like there's easily another 3-4 million that could be added to the Switch's total for the quarter.

Jumpin said:

A lot of PS4 games have paid DLCs and a lot of them are free to play compared to Switch. A huge chunk of the market would be buying COD, Battlefield and other big DLCs on PS4 and a lot of them spend on Fortnite, FIFA and other microtransactions, moreso than the Switch which doesn't have a lot of these games.

Pretty much every big game on PS4 has had paid DLCs and those sell loads. Switch having a way smaller library of games and even smaller of them with paid DLCs wouldn't make huge revenue on it.

Jumpin said:

Funny...

I just seem PS4 having 6.69 tie-ratio, and Switch at 3.01...

Seems like PS4 players have bought twice as many SW as Switch.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:
Almost every download only índie game is reporting higher sales on switch than in other platforms.
I would like to see the the numbers counting them.

Almost every download only índie game ain't reporting any numbers at all.

Only very few indie devs are open with their numbers or percentages.

DonFerrari said:
Jumpin said:

Funny...

How did you come up with those numbers? Its 8.96 & 4.42

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Funny...

How did you come up with those numbers? Its 8.96 & 4.42

When I put it on the VGC tracking it was 6.69 and 3.01... but if we do consider digital then your numbers shall be more precise.

Still shows PS4 owners have individually bought twice as much SW than Switch owners (and I do know that is because of the maturity of the platform). But still that was just to point at Jumpin short frame analysis putting Switch owners bought twice as many SW as did PS4 owners.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Jumpin said:

Funny...

He was talking about tie-in ratios for the quarter, not overall.

Of course PS4 will have a higher tie-in overall, it's been on the market for three or four times as long.

psychicscubadiver said:
DonFerrari said:

Funny...

He was talking about tie-in ratios for the quarter, not overall.

Of course PS4 will have a higher tie-in overall, it's been on the market for three or four times as long.

And Switch being less time and thus the new entrants being more representative to the overall number of owners will make the sales of SW skew to Switch on that quarter because usually someone buying the console will also buy more SW (about 4 if I'm not wrong).

So one way or another you'll be skewing the number in favor of the platform that have more time in market or less (if both are being healthy). See why the need to counter?