By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Q1 Software: PS4: 40.6M*; 43% digital (17.46M)... NSW: 17.96M**

JRPGfan said:

Also Playstation 4 total software sales number is 737.6m+ sold.

Would be cool if they reach 100m hardware and 1 billion software at the same time.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
I think PS4 having an install base ~4x higher than Switch might factor into why PS4 sold ~2.5x as much software this quarter.

Doesn't the 3DS have a much higher install base than the Switch?

Megiddo said:
zorg1000 said:
I think PS4 having an install base ~4x higher than Switch might factor into why PS4 sold ~2.5x as much software this quarter.

So do NES, PS2 & Wii, can you figure out how they are completely different scenarios?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Megiddo said:

So do NES, PS2 & Wii, can you figure out how they are completely different scenarios?

Well, PS4 is only 2-3 years younger than 3DS. You don't seem to consider the PS4's age vs the Switch's freshness like you would with the 3DS. What's the big difference? Is it just a matter of convenience?

Megiddo said:
zorg1000 said:

Well, PS4 is only 2-3 years younger than 3DS. You don't seem to consider the PS4's age vs the Switch's freshness like you would with the 3DS. What's the big difference? Is it just a matter of convenience?

Not age, place in the market.

PS4 still gets a ton of huge releases and is selling amazing, it just had its best year last year with 20m sold.

3DS is a dying platform that peaked like 5 years ago and hasnt gotten a single million selling title this year, software support and hardware sales have dropped considerably.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Jranation said:
Wait so Indie game are not included?
And yeah its 80mil vs 20mil userbase.

They are if they have a physical release but otherwise no.

Oh okay. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

zorg1000 said:

Such a big difference in instal base and considering average console attach ratio on 10 per console at end of life it's pretty safe to say it impacted total SW.

Individual games aren't much impacted by installed base, but total SW certainly is.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

zorg1000 said:

My comparison is to show how important digital is becoming for Sony (which I mentioned).

Train wreck said:
zorg1000 said:

My comparison is to show how important digital is becoming for Sony (which I mentioned).

Switch software sales are irrelevant to achieving that goal, just saying 43% of PS4 software is digital shows that clearly.

Or better yet compare the current digital % to what it was in previous quarters/years.

Mar1217 said:
Train wreck said:

But if Sony are including downloadable only games number into the count then of course this would inflate the ratio. I would prefer much more the ratio between games that are available on both support.

There is a thread dedicated to that in VGC.

Basically PS4 have the win in most games, but some genres Switch ties and some others it wins.

Also shows that the userbase and even difference in time to release didn't made that much of an impact in most games distribution of sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."