By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - June 2018 NPD: PS4 #1 console, Mario Tennis Aces #1 software

Intrinsic said:
I'm sorry... but isn't the NES Classic like $80 or something?

And just to be clear, are we now comparing it to/grouping it with current generation console sales?

Well, strictly speaking it is a videogame console, no matter it's cheap price compared to the other offerings. So yeah, it makes sense that it is taken into account.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

And just to be clear, are we now comparing it to/grouping it with current generation console sales?

The NES Classic is $60

The SNES Classic is $80

It is a video game console in a technical sense, but no. I don't think anyone is claiming Nintendo 'won' June because the NES Classic sold the most. They just think it's weird and funny to have what is essentially a 'plug n play' console lead the market in unit sales.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Intrinsic said:

Well, strictly speaking it is a videogame console, no matter it's cheap price compared to the other offerings. So yeah, it makes sense that it is taken into account.

I am not saying it shouldn't be taken into account..... but just going through this thread its almost made out to be some sort of industry defining achievement. Its like when its convenient common sense goes ouut the window. I doubt the PS4/XB1/NS is loosing sales to the NESc.

psychicscubadiver said:
Intrinsic said:

The NES Classic is $60

The SNES Classic is $80

It is a video game console in a technical sense, but no. I don't think anyone is claiming Nintendo 'won' June because the NES Classic sold the most. They just think it's weird and funny to have what is essentially a 'plug n play' console lead the market in unit sales.

As you have said its $60 (even less than what I thought it was. So thats basically the cost of one retail game. I can definately see the ease of purchase and value proposition in that. I allso think that should be painfully obvious to everyone. We are comparing $60 hardware+games to $300 boxes? Or even putting them in the same conversation as if they are direct rivals.

This is just me though.... so maybe I am the one seeing things differently.

More interestingly to me though, is how come no one is pointing out that nintendo could also just as easily have released NES/SNES ports for the NS and then the NESc and SNESc wouldn't even need to exist. Its why I see very little sense in sony making a PSc/PS2c when I would rather they just let us pay for a $10 emulator app we can install in our PS4 and then allow everyone download whatever PS1/PS2 game they want from the store.

But Kudos to nintendo though... this is smart business if ever I saw it.

quickrick said:
Miyamotoo said:

So Switch sold this June around 100k units more than did last years June, also it seems that July will be also quite stronger than last years. 

Don't forget our bets.  ;) 

it has to beat last year numbers by 100k for you to win, till August right? I don't see that happening.

Actually in May-September period. But how you dont see hapenniha, difference is already around  100k and with July and following months difference will be bigger. 

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 02 August 2018

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Green098 said:

NES Classic at #1 in units.

Wow, probably one of Nintendo's best product ideas.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/11011288/

Wow, so PS4 is number 1 only in revenue, but not in numbers sold? I saw it doing well, but never expected that well.

flashfire926 said: 
I think it's pretty much a given PS4 will take July, August, and September, cleanly. Starting from October things get a little iffy with Super Mario Party and Forza Horizon 4 launching in those months. Then in November there is Pokemon for Switch, but Xbox/PS4 will have crazy BF deals, so that remains to be seen....

PS4 will take July and August? With what?

from the looks of it, PS4 won June mostly because of the Days of Play PS4 console and some momentum carryover from previous month. Both Switch and XBO sales came pretty close since with the Info we have they have to be around 300k each and thus not far behind Sony's console. The PS4 however will not be able to keep that momentum due to a severe drought in the release calendar for this summer, there's nothing really until Spiderman hits the shelves in September. It's actually not impossible for the PS4 to be overtaken by both the Switch and the XBO in those two months. September should go to the PS4, though.

No for XB1. NPD is by revenue, not units. And this year there is the XBX.

Around the Network

As expected. All of them well but the PS4 did better.

Intrinsic said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I am not saying it shouldn't be taken into account..... but just going through this thread its almost made out to be some sort of industry defining achievement. Its like when its convenient common sense goes ouut the window. I doubt the PS4/XB1/NS is loosing sales to the NESc.

psychicscubadiver said:

The NES Classic is $60

The SNES Classic is $80

As you have said its $60 (even less than what I thought it was. So thats basically the cost of one retail game. I can definately see the ease of purchase and value proposition in that. I allso think that should be painfully obvious to everyone. We are comparing $60 hardware+games to $300 boxes? Or even putting them in the same conversation as if they are direct rivals.

More interestingly to me though, is how come no one is pointing out that nintendo could also just as easily have released NES/SNES ports for the NS and then the NESc and SNESc wouldn't even need to exist. Its why I see very little sense in sony making a PSc/PS2c when I would rather they just let us pay for a $10 emulator app we can install in our PS4 and then allow everyone download whatever PS1/PS2 game they want from the store.

I don't think anyone considers it a rival to any of the current gen systems, but it is technically a video game console as it gets reported with the others. Thus, the amusing headline that the NES outsold the PS4.

Nintendo previously did something similar to what you suggested on the Wii and WiiU, called the Virtual Console, where people could buy and download old games for relatively cheap ($5 per NES title, $8 per SNES, $10 per N64 iirc). The big draw of these Classics is the retro-styled hardware and controllers, giving it value as a collectible and memorabilia. Also, it doesn't hurt that the SNES classic contain a previously unreleased game. 

Intrinsic said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

psychicscubadiver said:

The NES Classic is $60

The SNES Classic is $80

Who ever claimed it was stealing sales from other consoles or that its their rival? Nobody has said or even insinuated that.

Also people have been complaining about a lack of a Virtual Console on Switch ever since launch.

But yes regardless of being so much cheaper it is absolutely impressive that a device that can only play a couple dozen games made ~30 years ago sold so well.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Miyamotoo said:
quickrick said:

it has to beat last year numbers by 100k for you to win, till August right? I don't see that happening.

Actually in May-September period. But how you dont see hapenniha, difference is already around  100k and with July and following months difference will be bigger. 

it was april through august, they are now tied. you still need a 100k.

quickrick said:
Miyamotoo said:

it was april through august, they are now tied. you still need a 100k.

Yeah, my bad, but like I wrote, July will again be huge month for Switch, probably 300k+, and August will probably be also be YoY up. Last year July+August combined sold around 430k, this year we probable talking around 550k+.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 02 August 2018