By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does GT not get any acclaim in mainstream media?

flashfire926 said:
GOWTLOZ said:

1) Didn't know that. Good to know. They are pointless vehicles. All cars in GT6 make sense. Trucks and buggies don't belong in a circuit racer.

2) GT6 has a huge amount of Mercedes, Toyotas, Chevrolets including Corvettes, Audis, BMWs as well and it does have a good number of Ferraris and Lambos.

Btw GT6 had the amazing Vision GT cars, Citroen GT and the Red Bull X series cars. Those are fucking amazing. It made the game better than any other sim racer in terms of car roster on top of it having so many cars.

3) I'm not alone. A lot of the sim racing fanbase on various forums and youtube agrees with me. Its mostly casuals on general game discussion forums like these who think Forza sounds better because its got more grunt, which is blown to unrealistic proportions in Forza.

4) I don't have to watch a video when I recently stopped playing GT6. I know what you're on about. And I said so. FM4 had better graphics and sound. That's it.

Premium cars in GT6 had 500k polygons. FM4 cars don't come close. GT5 and GT6 run at higher resolution than Forza on 360.

1) random  64hp hatchbacks dont make any more sense than trucks and buggies, sorry to say.

Yeah, Vision GT is absolutely amazing, agree on that.

3) Nah, GT sport is way more inconsistent, and can sound way off on many on the models. Forza is a clear-cut winner if you ask the community.

4) That's a lie. FM4  models are on par with GT premium models. They have 800k polygons AFAIK. And 1080p made the framerate go to 40fps, so that literally a change for the worse, especially since stable fps is key for racing games.

1) They do. They are cars. They serve as a fantastic  starting point of the career and allow new players to get the flow of the game. Straight up driving a Corvette would decimate players. I know this because I've been there.

Glad to see another guy who appreciates Vision GT! It really is amazing and better in GT Sport.

2) GT Sport is mostly consistent apart from some of the cars in the recent patch. Which community you point out, the Forza one? Look at SuperGT and some other youtubers who have a sim racing fans following, forums like GTPlanet which has sim racing communities and listen to some of those cars IRL. You'll see GT Sport is more accurate.

I'm an automobile engineer and Forza sounds off, like they turned all the sounds up to 11.

3) That's a lie. FM4 cars aren't nearly as detailed as GT5 and GT6 premium cars. Its evident when you play them. There is a reason Turn 10 never revealed their polygon counts in gameplay and only ever talked of polygons in Autovista.

flashfire926 said:
Lafiel said:

just stupid fake outrage,

the game didn't launch with MTX as promised, but because it lost sales value quicker than expected (I picked it up for 10€) they try with some very light (tbh there's no reason to use them) monetisation efforts

"BUT THEY LIED!! 11!oneeleven! NEVER BUY PD STUFF AGAINNNNN" is just toxic shit

I never said anything like that, don't try to frame me in this, for gods sake.

I'm just saying that the fact that they lied makes their other promises less believeable. For example, Kaz promises 500+ cars by the end of gt sport's lifecycle, and now I think that may just be some bullshit to gather up hype.

AGAIN, LET ME REPEAT, I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH HOW THE MONETIZATION IS IMPLEMENTED. I ACTUALLY THINK IT'S A PRETTY GOOD IMPLEMENTATION, TO MAKE MYSELF CLEAR.

You're making a fuss out of nothing and diverting from the point of this topic. PR statements don't affect enjoyment of a game. The game is amazing and getting better and so it needs a review which is indicative of its current quality.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Mummelmann said:
Even with content being added at a steady pace, GT Sport is still a weak GT title with less content and customization than fans wanted and demanded. GT Sport's premise was a mistake and has taken the series in a direction no one asked for. The career mode is still really poor, there are way fewer cars than in many past titles and the customization, and tuning aspects in particular, are just piss poor.
Still waiting, and hoping, for GT 7. But I saw the danger signs already with GT 6, how they seemingly wanted to focus a lot more on online and make the series something it was never about. And it's not like they're being rewarded for embracing the "future", sales have steadily dwindled with each installment in the main series for some time now.

Pretty much this.

Sales also reflect this, GT5 sold over 10M, GT6 3.5M on PS3 when the PS4 already released 3 weeks earlier and GTSport is at 3.3M (all VGChartz numbers). Unless Sony pulls the series around with GT7 Gran Turismo won't be a high profile series anymore, just a midcard.

GT5 is at 11 million and GT6 is at 5 million. GT Sport is at 5.5 million players which should be 4 million sales. Pretty good and in less than a year.

As for a mid card series its not GT's lower popularity which is causing it, its that the sim racing community hasn't grown on consoles and other genres like RPGs are becoming more and more popular. 11 million was once an astounding feat for a Sony game, now we have atleast 3 games released this gen that have surpassed and will surpass that figure among which there is a new IP.

Horizon should sell in the ballpark of 11 million. Its not just GT becoming less popular, its Sony's other efforts and the industry itself that is outdoing itself as time goes on because the audience is more receptive to new games and growing in size.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
DonFerrari said:

1) Sorry but if I have a long straight without any action to take framedrop wouldn't get in my way at all.

2) They are playable but you don't have to play them. At the time GT5 and GT6 had more premium cars than FM had cars at all, but still the needless bash of "ugly standard cars". They were there solely for the people that liked to collect them.

They were interviewed on the MT before release, have they been interviewed after for MT? Not that I'm aware. You are just trying to make a case to say they were lying instead of accepting that they may have changed strategy due for any reason that we may not know, including as mentioned FIA demanding it.

If you are the type of human being that would do it, that is your problem.

2) FM3 and FM4 both had more premiums when compared to GT5/GT6, so what you said was false. Also GT has always been about mind-blowing graphics, and the older tracks/cars they carried were outdated. The games were a mishmash of PS2, PSP, PS3, (and even PS1 perhaps when looking at the audio) assets, making it feel horribly dated in front of forza 3/4. 

You're making the unlikely case that this was a genuine change in heart, instead of accepting they made a bullshit statement to garner up hype/have a better look than forza 7, and then turning them on anyways. 

BTW I'm not against the microtransactions themselves. I think it's honestly a very stellar implementation in GT Sport that other games should take note of.

2) Please show me the models on GT5 and GT6 where from PSP because I don't remember that being a thing, just the PS2 models. It is possible because GT focus on those 2 as said by Kaz was having more cars.

Nope, I'm just using the premisse of innocent until proven otherwise. So from what we have it could very well be change of plan instead of planned from start.

And on your take of more premium models on FM3 or 4, are we talking core package or several DLCs after? Because from all I remember GT5 launched with more Premium cars than FM3 had at the time.

Chris Hu said:
DonFerrari said:

Even so, It wasn't bashed for it as you claimed. But you and others bashed GT and for like 3 releases already.

Who really is bashing then? 

It was not on this side but like I mentioned before it was bashed for it on other forums and YouTube.   Forza gets bashed almost every month on Youtube when a new car pack gets released there is always a ton of people that don't like most of the cars in the packs.

I don't go to other forums. But I can pretty much guess that GT had even more bashing even if just for the sheer size of the userbase outpacing FM 2 or 3 times.

Chris Hu said:
DonFerrari said:

And none bashing FM7 for using FM4 models. Thanks for proving my point.

The threads I remember bashing GTS weren't made by people that even bought the game.

Most of the people that bashed the loot crates in FM7 also never bought or played the game.

And they aren't here as well.

Chris Hu said:
DonFerrari said:

1) Sorry but if I have a long straight without any action to take framedrop wouldn't get in my way at all.

2) They are playable but you don't have to play them. At the time GT5 and GT6 had more premium cars than FM had cars at all, but still the needless bash of "ugly standard cars". They were there solely for the people that liked to collect them.

They were interviewed on the MT before release, have they been interviewed after for MT? Not that I'm aware. You are just trying to make a case to say they were lying instead of accepting that they may have changed strategy due for any reason that we may not know, including as mentioned FIA demanding it.

If you are the type of human being that would do it, that is your problem.

FM4 ended up having 671 cars total GT6 didn't have 671 premium cars and like I mentioned earlier most of the new cars that where added in GT6 actually showed up in FM4 first.

ENDED up is very different than Started up, how much did it cost to have bought all those DLCs at full price?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

trasharmdsister12 said:

DonFerrari said: 

Please show me the models on GT5 and GT6 where from PSP because I don't remember that being a thing, just the PS2 models. It is possible because GT focus on those 2 as said by Kaz was having more cars.

And on your take of more premium models on FM3 or 4, are we talking core package or several DLCs after? Because from all I remember GT5 launched with more Premium cars than FM3 had at the time.

Not taking sides in this discussion. Just providing some information. I already spoke my part on the matter showing articles that are revisiting GTS and giving it praise for its continued support. And I plan on eventually picking it up over Forza 7 when I have more time to put into it. It's going to look so damn nice on my OLED. 

"The premium cars are those that have been built from the ground up for the new game. They feature internal cockpits and enhanced crash damage (components will drop off in addition to some deformation), and are considerably more detailed in general than the standard equivalents, which appear to have been imported from work done on Gran Turismo 4.

There are also more detailed renditions of some of the cars introduced in the PSP version of GT - the Bugatti Veyron, to name one - but while they are obviously more refined in appearance than they were in the handheld game, they still don't hold a candle to Polyphony's work on the premium cars."

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gran-turismo-5-tech-analysis?page=2

- GT5 launched with 200+ Premium cars. I think it's safe to say that means less than 250: https://www.gtplanet.net/gt5s-premium-cars-go-beyond-ps3s-capabilities/

- Forza 3 launched with 400+ (405 to be more exact without DLC packs or preorder bonuses): http://ca.ign.com/faqs/2009/forza-motorsport-3-car-list-1033443

- Forza 4 launched with 500+: http://www.onlineracedriver.com/2011/07/20/forza-motorsport-4-full-official-car-list/

Cars in Forza 3/4 were all of similar quality standard. So not sure if you count those as "premium" or not. But they had more normalized quality cars than GT5 had premium cars. 

Thanks for the links.

I certainly didn't remember the PSP models being used as the bashes were always on the PS2 models.

Even if we assumed over 200 as meaning 300, it would be less than 400 of FM3 and 500 of FM4. Memory play tricks and I remembered more Premium on GT5 and less total car on FM3 and 4.

It have been agreed here that the premium on GT wre better than regular of FM, but no one would question that the regular of FM would look better than the standard on GT5 or 6. Both having a decent number of very good cars to play (and certainly much larger than any other racing game launching at their time), and the discussion would be more on the preferences of larger roster versus more leveled quality, I certainly prefer the first one since they also had fantastic premium, but I understand people that sides with the second (unless as we regular see on VGC that is just used to bash GT and say how the game is horrible to offer the option that you may just ignore).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

As mentioned before each Forza game has only a four year digital live cycle so if you really think the DLC is overpriced (which it isn't it cheaper then DLC in other racing games).  All you have to do is wait a while before it goes on sale which happens on a regular basis.  If you are cheap then wait for a regular sale and if you are super cheap wait for the fire sale that happens shortly before all the content gets delisted. 

GOWTLOZ said:

I'm an automobile engineer and Forza sounds off, like they turned all the sounds up to 11.

---

GT5 is at 11 million and GT6 is at 5 million. GT Sport is at 5.5 million players which should be 4 million sales. Pretty good and in less than a year.

As for a mid card series its not GT's lower popularity which is causing it, its that the sim racing community hasn't grown on consoles and other genres like RPGs are becoming more and more popular. 11 million was once an astounding feat for a Sony game, now we have atleast 3 games released this gen that have surpassed and will surpass that figure among which there is a new IP.

Horizon should sell in the ballpark of 11 million. Its not just GT becoming less popular, its Sony's other efforts and the industry itself that is outdoing itself as time goes on because the audience is more receptive to new games and growing in size.

So you are a automobile engineer? You claim Forza sounds off.. what is your opinion on the vacuum sounds from all the GT games that has always been criticized by majority of reviewers and gamers over the world? I use to be a car mechanic myself and I can completely disagree with you on that on.

As for your 2nd part, that's not exactly how it works. 1 good game from a completely different genre does not stop another good game from another. Horizon, GOW, Uncharted or whatever game you are referring to would not be affecting GTS sales. Example - That's like saying Fifa 18 didn't sell because Battlefield 4 took the market by storm. No.. two completely different games meant for two completely different audiences. Car fans are car fans, soccer fans are soccer fans, RPG fans are RPG fans and than you have fans of just games in general. GT is focused towards the car fans obviously.

A more realistic reason why the GT series has been in decline is due to the car racing market growing. Back when GT was selling, what was its competition? It sold well on PS1 because it was 1 of a kind and had no competition. Compare that to today where you have Project Cars, Assetto Corsa and Forza who continue to push the bar high.

GT has become less popular because GT has been absent from the market for half a decade. Polyphony needs to get there game on, there's too much competition now to just slowly release titles and offer minimal content.

If Sony wants to compete in the racing market again they need to expand Polyphony, they are too small and wont be able to keep up with the industry leading Turn 10 who can not only produce games every 2 years, but also succeed in the overall quality and package of a car racing game.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

GOWTLOZ said:

---

So you are a automobile engineer? You claim Forza sounds off.. what is your opinion on the vacuum sounds from all the GT games that has always been criticized by majority of reviewers and gamers over the world? I use to be a car mechanic myself and I can completely disagree with you on that on.

As for your 2nd part, that's not exactly how it works. 1 good game from a completely different genre does not stop another good game from another. Horizon, GOW, Uncharted or whatever game you are referring to would not be affecting GTS sales. Example - That's like saying Fifa 18 didn't sell because Battlefield 4 took the market by storm. No.. two completely different games meant for two completely different audiences. Car fans are car fans, soccer fans are soccer fans, RPG fans are RPG fans and than you have fans of just games in general. GT is focused towards the car fans obviously.

A more realistic reason why the GT series has been in decline is due to the car racing market growing. Back when GT was selling, what was its competition? It sold well on PS1 because it was 1 of a kind and had no competition. Compare that to today where you have Project Cars, Assetto Corsa and Forza who continue to push the bar high.

GT has become less popular because GT has been absent from the market for half a decade. Polyphony needs to get there game on, there's too much competition now to just slowly release titles and offer minimal content.

If Sony wants to compete in the racing market again they need to expand Polyphony, they are too small and wont be able to keep up with the industry leading Turn 10 who can not only produce games every 2 years, but also succeed in the overall quality and package of a car racing game.

Big sellers always affect one another... why do you think Sony decided to move their games to release outside of holiday?

And you are joking when saying PC, FM and AC are the ones robbing sales from GT...

Project Cars 2 500k on PS4; PC1 1 1,3M (big drop, mostly because of how bad the first game was, and I'm certain you would say PC1 is better than GT and that PC2 is out of comparison)

PC 2 60k X1, PC1 400k

Assetto Corsa 70k on PS4, 20k on X1

Sure those two games are totally robbing sales from GTS.

FM7 1.29M

GTS = 3.32M

Considering all games on the current version competing against GT would be PC2+AC+FM7 almost 2M

So every single one of the games you mentioned if put together is smaller than GTS sales. Too much competition for sure.

DonFerrari said:

Big sellers always affect one another... why do you think Sony decided to move their games to release outside of holiday?

And you are joking when saying PC, FM and AC are the ones robbing sales from GT...

Project Cars 2 500k on PS4; PC1 1 1,3M (big drop, mostly because of how bad the first game was, and I'm certain you would say PC1 is better than GT and that PC2 is out of comparison)

PC 2 60k X1, PC1 400k

FM7 1.29M

GTS = 3.32M

Considering all games on the current version competing against GT would be PC2+AC+FM7 almost 2M

So every single one of the games you mentioned if put together is smaller than GTS sales. Too much competition for sure.

Are you saying Spiderman wont sell because of all the 10m+ games they have? Because thats what it sounds like. Stop making excuses. Sony space out there games to keep there customers filled with games.

Yes the market has other car racing games to scratch that itch now. GT owned the market when there was no competition. Now theres plenty, and look at the sales.

What does GTS offer that FM7 or PCs doesnt offer? GTS fell way behind the 8ball here, and it has nothing to do with GOW, Horizon or UC4.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

PC 2 60k X1, PC1 400k

FM7 1.29M

GTS = 3.32M

Are you saying Spiderman wont sell because of all the 10m+ games they have? Because thats what it sounds like. Stop making excuses. Sony space out there games to keep there customers filled with games.

Yes the market has other car racing games to scratch that itch now. GT owned the market when there was no competition. Now theres plenty, and look at the sales.

What does GTS offer that FM7 or PCs doesnt offer? GTS fell way behind the 8ball here, and it has nothing to do with GOW, Horizon or UC4.

I'm saying that if we have Fifa, CoD and other very big games launching together with your game they will impact the sales. It have happened every single time.

Not making excuses, anyone on here would be able to explain to you this very simple concept.

Please show me how PC2 and AC selling less than 1M combined on PS4 made GT go from 15M on GT3 to 5M on GTS.

trasharmdsister12 said:

DonFerrari said: 

Please show me the models on GT5 and GT6 where from PSP because I don't remember that being a thing, just the PS2 models. It is possible because GT focus on those 2 as said by Kaz was having more cars.

Not taking sides in this discussion. Just providing some information. I already spoke my part on the matter showing articles that are revisiting GTS and giving it praise for its continued support. And I plan on eventually picking it up over Forza 7 when I have more time to put into it. It's going to look so damn nice on my OLED. 

"The premium cars are those that have been built from the ground up for the new game. They feature internal cockpits and enhanced crash damage (components will drop off in addition to some deformation), and are considerably more detailed in general than the standard equivalents, which appear to have been imported from work done on Gran Turismo 4.

There are also more detailed renditions of some of the cars introduced in the PSP version of GT - the Bugatti Veyron, to name one - but while they are obviously more refined in appearance than they were in the handheld game, they still don't hold a candle to Polyphony's work on the premium cars."

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gran-turismo-5-tech-analysis?page=2

- GT5 launched with 200+ Premium cars. I think it's safe to say that means less than 250: https://www.gtplanet.net/gt5s-premium-cars-go-beyond-ps3s-capabilities/

- Forza 3 launched with 400+ (405 to be more exact without DLC packs or preorder bonuses): http://ca.ign.com/faqs/2009/forza-motorsport-3-car-list-1033443

- Forza 4 launched with 500+: http://www.onlineracedriver.com/2011/07/20/forza-motorsport-4-full-official-car-list/

Cars in Forza 3/4 were all of similar quality standard. So not sure if you count those as "premium" or not. But they had more normalized quality cars than GT5 had premium cars. 

GT6 has 450 premium cars. More cars than Forza 3 had.

You're right on the PSP cars, some were new to the series on PSP which had 820 cars and some of those like the Bugatti Veyron were the basic designs of the GT5 and GT6 versions. But standard cars got an overhaul in GT6 and look better than GT5 standard cars.

Azzanation said:

GOWTLOZ said:

---

Woah woah woah. Were you following our discussion at all? I never said the old GT games sounded good, they were terrible. GT Sport does sound better than Forza, which isn't terrible but the sound effects in Forza are blown to unrealistic proportions which sounds nice but isn't accurate.

Your second point is a misunderstanding of what I said. I said that GT is declining in popularity but also other Sony games are growing in popularity which has allowed GT to be relegated to a mid tier series. Sony never had the huge successes outside of GT series before this gen, and when they did they were mostly one offs like LBP which centered around the premise of creation so it could never stay relevant for a lot of sequels. Uncharted, TLOU, Horizon and GOW are going to stay relevant and for a longer time. The increased popularity of RPG's has factored in the success of some of these games. Its also real that the racing game market is declining. Racing games are barely relevant in the USA and Japan, and mostly sell in Europe and PAL regions which isn't enough for them to be blockbusters.

Industry leading Turn 10? Hahaha. Forza Motorsport 7 is basically the poorest simulator of real world physics in the sim racing genre, behind GT Sport and far behind PC2, Assetto Corsa and RFactor. It doesn't have good business practices either, with paid DLCs and lootboxes for such a long period when the game is at its most relevant. Its behind GT Sport, Assetto Corsa Competizione and PC2 in graphics and sound. Its behind GT Sport and probably Assetto Corsa in sales. Where is the industry leading part? Maybe in critical success, but its perception in the gaming media hardly makes for an industry leading game when its behind the competition in every other way that counts.

DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

I'm saying that if we have Fifa, CoD and other very big games launching together with your game they will impact the sales. It have happened every single time.

Not making excuses, anyone on here would be able to explain to you this very simple concept.

Please show me how PC2 and AC selling less than 1M combined on PS4 made GT go from 15M on GT3 to 5M on GTS.

To Azzanation, GT Sport offers better physics, sounds, some unique tracks, Vision GT cars, a Red Bull prototype and the best HDR and Wide Colour visuals that are there on the market.

Its also unfair the compare GT 3 lifetime sales to GT Sport's current sales which by the way are less than 5m not at 5m. Perhaps even 4m. Still bigger than most of its competition.

DonFerrari said:

Umm games don't have to sell 10m+ to make another game irrelevant. The fact there are 5 other better car racing games on the market makes GTS a hard sell. GTS launched as a disaster so its sales were hit hard, not because of other games released at the time.

GOWTLOZ said:

Woah woah woah. Were you following our discussion at all? I never said the old GT games sounded good, they were terrible. GT Sport does sound better than Forza, which isn't terrible but the sound effects in Forza are blown to unrealistic proportions which sounds nice but isn't accurate. 

GT Sport offers better physics, sounds, some unique tracks, Vision GT cars, a Red Bull prototype and the best HDR and Wide Colour visuals that are there on the market.

Its also unfair the compare GT 3 lifetime sales to GT Sport's current sales which by the way are less than 5m not at 5m. Perhaps even 4m. Still bigger than most of its competition.

GTS still doesn't sound better than Forza 7, both games have gone in different directions with the sound. And id still prefer FM7s. Maybe that's just our preference on that.

You don't think Turn 10 is Industry leading? Well lets look at the bigger picture. FM7 is a better package than any other car racing game on the market, heck even FM5 is a better package than GTS and that was a launch X1 game 4 years ago, FM has received the best scores across the board this gen when it comes to car racing. For the past 4 years, a Forza title has taken home the best car RGOTY awards. Might as well argue with the awards and critics, not just me. 

Sales does not, and never leads to a quality product. There are a lot of avenues to sales. Drive Club went on to sell 2m+ units, and that company folded shortly after. PS4 also has double the user base and GTS was also sold at a very cheap launch price.

You talk up GTS for its HDR etc well than lets talk about FM7 running at a pure 4k on the X right with HDR? GTS does not look leaps and bounds better either, you would barely notice a difference in the graphics especially if you are running FM7 on the X. 

So tell me where does GTS hold the crown?

Best Simulator goes to PC2

Best Car Package goes to FM7

Everything you mention as positives about GTS has been done before or better in PC2 or FM7. GTS also has the worst crash damage on there car models. and the least amount of content and features. You know you have done something wrong when your game releases with less content than FM5 a 4 year old title.