By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mods please lock. Thread based on either outdated info, or relying on biased source (Valve itself).

I thought this was pretty interesting. That means that not counting China there are about 105 million Steam Users out there. PS4 should easily surpass 85 million by the end of this year, and that's only after 5 years on the market. Steam on the other hand has had 14 years or more to get all those users. Yes, I realize that not all PC Gamers have a Steam Account, but almost all do. And this is counting non-Chinese Steam Users that don't have a PC as powerful as a PS4.  I thought PC Gamers outnumbered Console Gamers in most regions of the developed world. But this suggests otherwise. 

And no, I'm not saying that China "doesn't count". 

I'm saying that there are probably more PS4 owners in NA than there are PC Gamers (who actually have a rig  at least as powerful as a PS4) in NA. Same goes for EU. And Japan is probably no contest. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 22 July 2018

Around the Network

Why are you not including China but China sales are included in the PS4? Also there are probably some people that speak Chinese that don't live in China.

Speaking Chinese doesn't mean you are Chinese.

Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan are all regions where the Chinese language is spoken but they do not consider themselves or their nation to be Chinese.

Also, there's some sort of difference within Chinese as well, since there's Mandarin and Cantonese, though I'm not well-versed enough to know the intricacies of all that.

I speak more and more Chinese aswell even on forums just to get myself immersed :).

jason1637 said:
Why are you not including China but China sales are included in the PS4? Also there are probably some people that speak Chinese that don't live in China.

I thought PS4 wasn't for sale at all in China. Does anybody have the China PS4 sales numbers, so I can correct it? 

Edit: According to this there were around 2 million PS4s and XB1s combined in China in Summer 2016. 

https://zhugeex.com/2016/07/legal-sales-of-ps4-xb1-to-exceed-1-million-in-china/

So I doubt there's more than 3 or 4 million PS4s in China. In other words the amount of Chinese owned PS4s is negligible for this discussion. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 22 July 2018

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
jason1637 said:

I thought PS4 wasn't for sale at all in China. Does anybody have the China PS4 sales numbers, so I can correct it? 

Ask zhugeex, really if anyone has an idea it is him

Cerebralbore101 said:

I thought this was pretty interesting. That means that not counting China there are about 105 million Steam Users out there. PS4 should easily surpass 85 million by the end of this year, and that's only after 5 years on the market. Steam on the other hand has had 14 years or more to get all those users. Yes, I realize that not all PC Gamers have a Steam Account, but almost all do. And this is counting non-Chinese Steam Users that don't have a PC as powerful as a PS4.  I thought PC Gamers outnumbered Console Gamers in most regions of the developed world. But this suggests otherwise. 

And no, I'm not saying that China "doesn't count". 

I'm saying that there are probably more PS4 owners in NA than there are PC Gamers (who actually have a rig  at least as powerful as a PS4) in NA. Same goes for EU. And Japan is probably no contest. 

Probably true for US and certainly for Japan. For the EU however, I really wouldn't count on it despite being considered Sonyland here. Europe has a long history in Computer gaming, and I don't just mean PC. Here there's actually a higher possibility that if you ask them if they where playing on an Atari, that they understand it as if you're asking about the Atari ST or the 400/800 lines of computers and not the VCS or the 2600. Computer gaming has never faded away, though it's arguably a bit less big than during it's heyday.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Speaking Chinese doesn't mean you are Chinese.

Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan are all regions where the Chinese language is spoken but they do not consider themselves or their nation to be Chinese.

Also, there's some sort of difference within Chinese as well, since there's Mandarin and Cantonese, though I'm not well-versed enough to know the intricacies of all that.

That doesn't effect my final conclusion though, because those places are not the EU, or NA, or Japan. See the bolded sentences from my OP...

I wonder how this will end, because going by what OP suggests, not so well.

Looking at the lack of data though and just going by the words, this makes it sound like it was very, very bad for PC to "take so long" to gain those numbers while making it look better for PS4. I wonder how much we'll get out of this topic....

Also using CHinese users and then exclusiding them isn't logically sound. Also excluding users who don't have a Steam account, while also not counting those that have a:

Battle.net

GoG

Origin

Epic

Uplay

Bethesda.net accounts.

When you add all account types and their numbers, then yes they greatly dwarf what numbers the PS4 has, and I doubt that PS4 will surpass all those account numbers combined, and let's not make the argument that every user using all those accounts are all magically "steam users".

Also let's not forget LoL players, a game which isn't even on Steam and we know how popular that is on PC. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 22 July 2018

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

I wonder how this will end, because going by what OP suggests, not so well.

Looking at the lack of data though and just going by the words, this makes it sound like it was very, very bad for PC to "take so long" to gain those numbers while making it look better for PS4. I wonder how much we'll get out of this topic....

Also using CHinese users and then exclusiding them isn't logically sound. Also excluding users who don't have a Steam account, while also not counting those that have a:

Battle.net

GoG

Origin

Epic

Uplay

Bethesda.net accounts.

When you add all account types and their numbers, then yes they greatly dwarf what numbers the PS4 has, and I doubt that PS4 will surpass all those account numbers combined, and let's not make the argument that every user using all those accounts are all magically "steam users".

Pretty sure that 95% of PC Gamers have a Steam account. Not even going to argue it with you. If you don't believe that, then there's nothing I can say that will convince you otherwise.