By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mods please lock. Thread based on either outdated info, or relying on biased source (Valve itself).

Ka-pi96 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

That doesn't mean that 40% don't even have a single steam account. People can buy their games across multiple storefronts, and have multiple accounts. 

It's still more evidence than you provided, you didn't even provide a source for "There are 291 Million Steam users, but 64% of them speak Chinese" so that could have been made up by you as well for all the rest of us know.

Besides, I'm not the one pretending things don't exist and cherry picking data to try and push some console>PC agenda.

My source was Steam's Hardware Survey, from February but Valve changed the way they decided to count their users. They always wanted to count hardware settings and not actual users. But Internet Cafes in China threw them for a loop, and accidentally made them reveal the actual number of Chinese speaking Steam users, instead of the hardware setting's number. 

Edit: Ok yeah nevermind entirely. After looking further into it, I'm not sure how Valve counts users or hardware anymore. Either Valve is telling the truth and their hardware survey data from Feb is miscounting, or they are lying and tweaked the way they count things in order to hide the data. Either way the whole premise of the thread is brought into question. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 22 July 2018

Around the Network

Hopefully when Tencent launches their service to the global market PUBG gets dropped on that platform and most of them go away. Not being a racist, just the chinese gaming community is so toxic and horrible. Their government has been trying to crack down on cheaters, but that still doesn't fix any issues. They come onto NA and EU servers to avoid cheaters on their servers, but they lag the place up, and the cheaters eventually follow them onto the same servers. They also make a crap ton of spam accounts like Steam is Roblox, so they can scam people for skins on PUBG, CS:GO, or Dota 2.

I can't join a squad of randoms on PUBG without them being entirely Chinese nowadays. It forced me to quit the game because most of them just outright suck, or they just cheat. Their gaming community has zero respect for the rest of the world.

This number is far from exciting to me. It is one of those negative effects of globalization. The best solution would be region locking them (They can sustain their own server populations), but whenever we call for region locking the gaming community gets called racist, and then we have no choice but to stop playing our favorite game. Big ol fuck you to Brenden Greene.

TheBird said:
Hopefully when Tencent launches their service to the global market PUBG gets dropped on that platform and most of them go away. Not being a racist, just the chinese gaming community is so toxic and horrible. Their government has been trying to crack down on cheaters, but that still doesn't fix any issues. They come onto NA and EU servers to avoid cheaters on their servers, but they lag the place up, and the cheaters eventually follow them onto the same servers. They also make a crap ton of spam accounts like Steam is Roblox, so they can scam people for skins on PUBG, CS:GO, or Dota 2.

I can't join a squad of randoms on PUBG without them being entirely Chinese nowadays. It forced me to quit the game because most of them just outright suck, or they just cheat. Their gaming community has zero respect for the rest of the world.

This number is far from exciting to me. It is one of those negative effects of globalization. The best solution would be region locking them (They can sustain their own server populations), but whenever we call for region locking the gaming community gets called racist, and then we have no choice but to stop playing our favorite game. Big ol fuck you to Brenden Greene.

Americans And Europeans do this too. It's not a Chinese only problem.