By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Gallup: 0% of Americans consider Russia the most important problem facing the country - most important topic is immigration/illegal aliens

numberwang said:
sundin13 said:
That title is a lie. The question wasn't "Is Russia a Priority", the question is "Is Russia the Most Important Problem facing this Country".

There is a huge difference between the two, which shouldn't need to be explained.
Helloplite said:
Yup, as person above said, the OP is highly misleading here. This is not about what is "a" priority, but about which problem is "the most important problem". If I am asked what is the most important problem and I answered "X", that does not mean that "Y" is NOT a problem - just that in my opinion it is not "the most important problem".

Misleading tactics won't help.

Priority literally means to consider before (prior) anything else, so the most important thing.

Priority = "something that is very important and must be dealt with before [prior] other things"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/priority

doesn't say prior "anything else" that's what you said. It says "before other things" which means it's a priority over some things but does not mean it is the most important. Even says "very important" and not "most important"

Don't you see the difference between "very" or "most" and "other things" or "anything else"?

Around the Network

Sure, the poll is fake. Or maybe it just doesn't show what you want it to.

Do people think Russia is important? Sure. At least as far as it comes to protecting America from them in general. They obviously don't give a shit about this collusion BS the Left keeps hoping will produce something, but never will.

thismeintiel said:
Sure, the poll is fake. Or maybe it just doesn't show what you want it to.

Do people think Russia is important? Sure. At least as far as it comes to protecting America from them in general. They obviously don't give a shit about this collusion BS the Left keeps hoping will produce something, but never will.

"noone thinks the Russia collusion is the absolute most important thing facing America" and "They obviously don't give a shit about this collusion BS" are not the same thing. 

The poll isn't fake, but you are interpreting things from it it simply doesn't say. 

numberwang said:
sundin13 said:

Well, that would only be true if you could have only one priority, which isn't the case, hence why the phrase "top priority" is valid English and not simply redundant and common idioms such as "get your priorities straight" exist. Or even more simply, the fact that you can make the word plural... Pretty much everything on that list would be considered a priority, simply not the top priority.

You can look to definitions such as "a preferential rating" or "Precedence, especially established by order of importance or urgency" to show how the word "priority" can be used alongside multiple items or a list of items.

So yes, that title is still a lie (or I guess in your case just very bad English).

'Top priority' is a tautology as 'top' and 'prior' mean the same thing in two different languages (before, first, foremost). The implication of second or lower priorities is faulty language, even if some people (mis)use it in casual conversation.

Having multiple priorities isn't just something people misuse "in casual conversation", it is something that everybody uses everywhere. It is how the word is used and as such it is seen clearly in numerous dictionary definitions.

There is no argument to assert that priority cannot be plural or ranked.

Here is a Reuter's article about how 5G is a Priority for the Trump Administration: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sprint-corp-m-a-ross/u-s-commerce-secretary-says-5g-priority-for-trump-administration-idUSKBN1I23VA Do you think that they are in any way implying that 5G is the number one thing on their agenda?

Last edited by sundin13 - on 21 July 2018

misleading and ultimately pointless thread.

Around the Network

The amount of times I've been called a Russian bot on YouTube comments is crazy and I never bring up or defend Putin. Literally a 5th generation Republican and mixed raced with my grandfather having an Uncle who was a Republican Judge in the city of Philadelphia. But support Trump and obviously you are a Russian bot...maybe they just say that because they don't have good arguments to counter with so it's a nice cop out. 

Reminds of when Saddam had elections in Iraq and got 100% of the votes. I don't need to look any further than the title to know this article is BS.

Lmao! Not surprising.

Its obvious what happened here, Russia hacked this poll and used targeted Facebook ads to get people angry about immigration.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

When Russian truthers are eating themselves