By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK: Octopath Traveler charting at #3 (#1 in terms of revenue), doubling sales of Bravely Default

killeryoshis said:
That's incredible news! This shows that people want old-styled RPGs again and not the heavily cinematic RPGs of today.

Or both 

Around the Network

Very nice sales!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

killeryoshis said:
Train wreck said:

This is some super hyperbole.  It doesn't show that what so ever. 

Maybe I should have reworded it a bit. They don't want ONLY  Heavy cinematic RPGs of today. I want more RPGs that depend on more Role-Playing and Gameplay than something that is hellbent on telling a story. Octopath Selling shows that there is a market for people like me. 

Did you also buy Shining Resonance Refrain?  it debuted at No.27 on four platforms, has all the old school goodness of a game like Tales of Destiny 2 and it'll be gone next week.  RPGS, old and new, still have a long way to go.

zippy said:
kopstudent89 said:
Seems that the Switch is starting to find its legs in Europe. Great sales overall, with 5 of the top 10 games on the Switch. Impressive

If you count multi-plats there are 7 games in the top ten that appear on Switch.

Pretty awesome to see that considering the insane logic some people tried to project that games companies wouldn't port games to it due to the machines power, when the Wii was something which had existed.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

God of war is the king of legs

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
killeryoshis said:

Maybe I should have reworded it a bit. They don't want ONLY  Heavy cinematic RPGs of today. I want more RPGs that depend on more Role-Playing and Gameplay than something that is hellbent on telling a story. Octopath Selling shows that there is a market for people like me. 

Did you also buy Shining Resonance Refrain?  it debuted at No.27 on four platforms, has all the old school goodness of a game like Tales of Destiny 2 and it'll be gone next week.  RPGS, old and new, still have a long way to go.

Very fucking good. Yes. Yes.

Instead of Bitching about JRPG's being turn based/action, cinematic/not cinematic, gamers who enjoy the genre should be rooting for the genre in in its whole. Mindsets like Killieryoshis, does not nothing positive for the genere.

Train wreck said:

I have no clue what you are trying to imply. If there was no market for the game then there will be no games. Octopath being popular just shows that these types of games can sell really well. That means more games like it. Which is a plus for me. But if a game has to sell millions in order to be successful than there are a lot of bombs.

Xxain said:
Train wreck said:

Instead of Bitching about JRPG's being turn based/action, cinematic/not cinematic, gamers who enjoy the genre should be rooting for the genre in in its whole. Mindsets like Killieryoshis, does not nothing positive for the genere.

Nah you are wrong. I was said in a later post that I just wanted Octopath to show that people want to play. People can cheer what they want and I will cheer for what I want. I will not hope that something like FF 15 to do horribly but I won't cheer if it succeeds. I am not going to root for an entire genre even just because I like it. If it goes in a direction I do not want I will be against it. If they want to make every type of game that's fine. However, if it is at expense of things I like then I will be against it. 

If you want to cheer towards an entire genre regardless of what it does than that is on you. If RPGs started to do things I don't want to do then I will play something else. 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Xxain said:
Train wreck said:

Huh? I am too a huge fan of turn-based JRPGs, strategy games like Heroes etc. Why should I be forced to enjoy and root for "adjacent" genres? I hate the shoehorning of action elements into every genre. I have terrible reflexes and wit / quick thinking so those games don't appeal to me at all.

PS: SEGA had it coming with Shining, they released an old port the same window as an exclusive, highly anticipated and marketed same-genre game. YS VIII came a little while back, too. 

Last edited by routsounmanman - on 16 July 2018

According to NintendoLife, Square has issued an apology for underestimating demand for the game. Its out of stock in Amazon US, and the Japanese version seems to be sold out at retail as well.

Very, very encouraging news to read. Paints a nice picture about the game and its success.

What are the first week sales of BD in the U.K. according to VGC? I still can't figure out how to bring up the old week by week chart again.

By the way, I thought it was cleared up that Octopath isn't made by the Bravely team?