By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - TYT News: Racists Beat 91-Year-Old Man With Brick

Do you feel well informed by TYT?

Yes, I received all the info that I needed 2 11.76%

Of coooouuuuurseee! 2 11.76%

Wait a minute...? 8 47.06%

5 29.41%

Total:17
sundin13 said:
Munn75 said:

I find your interpretation of things to be interesting. So in a situation where the Young Turks did not know who had committed the crime, they then go on a rant about the type of people that do these types of things. Basically intimating that when a crime of this nature happens, you should look to the right-wingers. In the end, they were completely wrong about who actually did the crime and the motivations behind it. You don't see any issues with that?

Two questions about TYT:

Did they not know who had committed the crime?
Were they wrong about who committed the crime?

One question about you:

Would you disagree if I were to say that being anti-immigration is a right wing position?

Did the Young Turks know who had committed the crime? When the original story came out, they did not mention the name or race of the person that committed the crime. Odd omissions considering that information was available at that time with a little bit of research. The charitable viewpoint is that they did not know who committed the crime. The reason I say this is that if they in fact did know the name and race of the person and still chose to frame this as a racist, right-wing attack, that would make it much worse. Essentially moving it from lazy journalism to manipulative journalism.

Were they wrong about who committed the crime? Since they framed it as a right-wing attack, unless they can someone how prove that the attacker was in fact right-wing and a Trump supporter, I would say yes they were wrong about who committed the attack. Especially considering in the original piece they didn't name the person but simply described the type of person the attacker represented.

Would I disagree if you were to say that being anti-immigration is a right wing position? Good question. I would say that anti-illegal immigration is certainly a right wing position. I would agree that the right tends to value sovereignty more than the left and that would lead more of the extreme right towards anti-immigration in general. This of course is countered by some of those on the far left advocating for open borders and to that end, the dismantling if ICE, borders, etc.

Something like immigration is again a nuanced discussion where blindly picking one side or the other actually hurts everyone involved because we don't get to have the proper discussion. Going off topic a bit here but in the current political climate, you are immediately labeled by many as some buzz word version of a bad person if you don't have the same exact viewpoint or ideology. 

I consider myself to be a centrist although I used to lean more to the left before the party started changing. I think immigration is a great thing and what this country was founded on. We have laws/policies in place that allow for legal immigration, the same as many other sovereign nations. Just as we have borders. I personally believe that it is all about balance. We need the ability to take care of those who are already here while also having standards on who we allow to come here. Illegal immigration bothers me because it is a slap in the face of those who have come here through the proper channels and those that are currently trying to come here throw the legal process.   

"There are things which, if done by the few, we should refuse to imitate; yet when the majority have begun to do them, we follow along - just as if anything were more honourable because it is more frequent!"

-Seneca

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'm assuming you didn't watch the video.

1. The person being right winger is conjecture. They're also pushing the narrative racist incidents are just right wing related.

2. They didn't mention the culprit was black because it didn't fit the narrative. Trump only had like 2% of black female votes. The man in the video even says, "they hate people that don't look like them." I'm wondering if he even knew it was a black person.

3. Racism existed before Trump. Every incident shouldn't be attributed to Trump unless you have an agenda like TYT.

And I'm assuming you didn't take 5 seconds to check if they updated the story with additional relevant information when it was made public.

They didn't forego mentioning that she was black because "it didn't fit the narrative." If that were the case they would not post an update video about her identity the very next day. Which they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtIPvFRyKz0

In all likelihood, her name and ethnicity was not made public, or was not available to them, at the time of the first recording. But they did follow up with a relevant update, which is more than I can commonly say for certain other "news media" for stories such as these. And I have examples if you're curious.

For all the criticism you're quick to dish out, you need to take your own advice to a reasonable extent. And I think it's very reasonable to consider and look for an update to the story before going on a conspiracy theory rant.
Both of these videos were posted 3 days before you made your comment. You have no excuse to not even mention this as a possibility in your post when you ironically complain about painting a narrative.
If that's as far as your thought process goes in cases like these, then you're quite likely to paint a false narrative yourself.

Secondly, they're not pushing a narrative that "racist incidents are just right wing related".
Are they are implying that racists incidents like these are more likely perpetrated by right wingers? Sure. And that's not exactly hard to believe. Especially when they're told things like "they're sending their rapists and drug dealers, and some... I assume... are good people."
Just like it's not hard to believe that racist acts against white Trump supporters are more commonly perpetrated by left wingers.

Racism existed before Trump. And every incident like this shouldn't be attributed to him is about the only point you made that I agree with.
But if you wait for a very specific confession from a perpetrator, you'll likely end up never talking about the consequences of things like a president goading his supporters into being physically violent with those who don't share their views. (I'm referring to how Trump at a rally told the crowd to literally punch protesters who would get ready to throw a tomato at him, and that he would pay for their legal fees.) Among other things such as "You second amendment people may be able to do something about it".

So if they're going to talk about the potential consequences of these actions, or empowerment, as long as you include, or at least follow up on the story with relevant facts, then go ahead. I have her name, and I can find out more about her as the police investigation about her motives conclude.

The update video exactly proves my point. All their wacky conjecture went out the window primarily because it was a black woman. No more talk about right wingers and fascism. It was never a debate on whether or not blacks could be racist, the gravity of this incident is also lower. But they still try to treat it as a new problem in the country at the moment, but historically its nothing new. Its part of them creating a narrative this is a unique problem due to our current president.

TYT totally made the assumption this incident was right wing related. Honestly, they're bummed its not. Because the woman is black the story is now less interesting to the media, no political points to exploit this for. The Trump comments on Mexican immigrants is unrelated. It was bad hyperbole but an undeniable a problem that does exist, even the left admits it.

TYT has a large audience and clearly attempts to be the moral high ground, so it would be nice if they had a focus on the facts. I feel like the follow up was admission the previous video was bullshit. Their enthusiasm about the story is also lowered because they can't attach it to white supremacy or anything like that.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 16 July 2018

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Munn75 said:
sundin13 said:

Two questions about TYT:

Did they not know who had committed the crime?
Were they wrong about who committed the crime?

One question about you:

Would you disagree if I were to say that being anti-immigration is a right wing position?

Did the Young Turks know who had committed the crime? When the original story came out, they did not mention the name or race of the person that committed the crime. Odd omissions considering that information was available at that time with a little bit of research. The charitable viewpoint is that they did not know who committed the crime. The reason I say this is that if they in fact did know the name and race of the person and still chose to frame this as a racist, right-wing attack, that would make it much worse. Essentially moving it from lazy journalism to manipulative journalism.

Were they wrong about who committed the crime? Since they framed it as a right-wing attack, unless they can someone how prove that the attacker was in fact right-wing and a Trump supporter, I would say yes they were wrong about who committed the attack. Especially considering in the original piece they didn't name the person but simply described the type of person the attacker represented.

Would I disagree if you were to say that being anti-immigration is a right wing position? Good question. I would say that anti-illegal immigration is certainly a right wing position. I would agree that the right tends to value sovereignty more than the left and that would lead more of the extreme right towards anti-immigration in general. This of course is countered by some of those on the far left advocating for open borders and to that end, the dismantling if ICE, borders, etc.

Something like immigration is again a nuanced discussion where blindly picking one side or the other actually hurts everyone involved because we don't get to have the proper discussion. Going off topic a bit here but in the current political climate, you are immediately labeled by many as some buzz word version of a bad person if you don't have the same exact viewpoint or ideology. 

I consider myself to be a centrist although I used to lean more to the left before the party started changing. I think immigration is a great thing and what this country was founded on. We have laws/policies in place that allow for legal immigration, the same as many other sovereign nations. Just as we have borders. I personally believe that it is all about balance. We need the ability to take care of those who are already here while also having standards on who we allow to come here. Illegal immigration bothers me because it is a slap in the face of those who have come here through the proper channels and those that are currently trying to come here throw the legal process.   

I believe that the individual who committed this attack wasn't named because it simply doesn't matter. I don't think it matters that the individual is a black woman (and I find the general assumption that her race can be utilized to assume her political affiliation fairly unambiguously racist), and personally, I don't believe that it matters whether or not she is a Trump supporter. However, I don't think that it is an illogical assumption to state that she is "right wing", at least on the issues of immigration. As you have said, generally "anti-immigration" positions are the position of the right. As such, for someone to be attacking someone while espousing anti-immigration rhetoric, lets just say you don't have to reach very far to get to the assumptions that are made by TYT.

That said, it is still an assumption. I agree that they shouldn't have phrased it that way, but I also am not going to get too worked up about it because of the two reasons I've already stated: It isn't a stretch and it doesn't matter.

The core of their point is this: Hate crimes are fueled by the anti-immigration rhetoric of the Trump administration.

Now, this is subjective commentary here, not "news". It is TYT presenting their opinion and speaking about the broader context of these issues.

In that context, I think this is an entirely valid point to make and an entirely valid discussion to have.

My larger problem with this thread is that TYT is an easy target. Yes, they are pretty awful and they lean so far left that they are lying down. They sensationalize the story and talk big. Okay.

But why is this a thread?

Why is the thread that has been made about this horrible incident a thread not simply condemning these actions or discussing the political context they occurred under, but instead an attack on the left?

I feel as if I were to ruffle a few feathers if I were to answer that question, but I think it is fairly plain to see what is going on here...

sundin13 said:
Munn75 said:

I believe that the individual who committed this attack wasn't named because it simply doesn't matter. I don't think it matters that the individual is a black woman (and I find the general assumption that her race can be utilized to assume her political affiliation fairly unambiguously racist), and personally, I don't believe that it matters whether or not she is a Trump supporter. However, I don't think that it is an illogical assumption to state that she is "right wing", at least on the issues of immigration. As you have said, generally "anti-immigration" positions are the position of the right. As such, for someone to be attacking someone while espousing anti-immigration rhetoric, lets just say you don't have to reach very far to get to the assumptions that are made by TYT.

That said, it is still an assumption. I agree that they shouldn't have phrased it that way, but I also am not going to get too worked up about it because of the two reasons I've already stated: It isn't a stretch and it doesn't matter.

The core of their point is this: Hate crimes are fueled by the anti-immigration rhetoric of the Trump administration.

Now, this is subjective commentary here, not "news". It is TYT presenting their opinion and speaking about the broader context of these issues.

In that context, I think this is an entirely valid point to make and an entirely valid discussion to have.

My larger problem with this thread is that TYT is an easy target. Yes, they are pretty awful and they lean so far left that they are lying down. They sensationalize the story and talk big. Okay.

Why is the thread that has been made about this horrible incident a thread not simply condemning these actions or discussing the political context they occurred under, but instead an attack on the left?

I feel as if I were to ruffle a few feathers if I were to answer that question, but I think it is fairly plain to see what is going on here...

Those are some valid points. My concern is that race relations in Los Angeles have been uneasy long before Trump. I think where TYT did a disservice is in the fact that they automatically assumed that it was right-wingers. This woman obviously had some issue with the victim simply because of his race. The root of those issues is what needs to be examined. It can't simply be because right-wing or because Trump. I think it is highly unlikely that this woman is either of those things. So why is she anti-immigration and why is she so filled with hatred? Is she an anomaly or do others in her community feel the same way. How can we fix this? These are the questions that fail to get discussed if we just automatically assume that it is right-wing and Trump every time.

Also I wouldn't characterize it as an attack on the left but more so just an attack on partisan hack journalism. I have been equally critical of things from the right when they do these same types of things.

In the end, our goal as a society should be to do all the things possible to make sure these attacks never happen again. 

"There are things which, if done by the few, we should refuse to imitate; yet when the majority have begun to do them, we follow along - just as if anything were more honourable because it is more frequent!"

-Seneca

Munn75 said:
sundin13 said:

Those are some valid points. My concern is that race relations in Los Angeles have been uneasy long before Trump. I think where TYT did a disservice is in the fact that they automatically assumed that it was right-wingers. This woman obviously had some issue with the victim simply because of his race. The root of those issues is what needs to be examined. It can't simply be because right-wing or because Trump. I think it is highly unlikely that this woman is either of those things. So why is she anti-immigration and why is she so filled with hatred? Is she an anomaly or do others in her community feel the same way. How can we fix this? These are the questions that fail to get discussed if we just automatically assume that it is right-wing and Trump every time.

Also I wouldn't characterize it as an attack on the left but more so just an attack on partisan hack journalism. I have been equally critical of things from the right when they do these same types of things.

In the end, our goal as a society should be to do all the things possible to make sure these attacks never happen again. 

I agree that "Trump" is an oversimplification of the issue. However, I think it would be naive to assume that there has been no effect on race relations due to Trump. The effect of all of this rhetoric is breeding fear and hatred, two very strong catalysts for violence, and still quite damaging by themselves.

I also agree that the other questions you asked are very important. Unfortunately, there is little that I can do to answer those questions. However, I think it is safe to say that the way we fix this isn't by taking the path that Trump has put us on, assuming "this" is "poor race relations". I think that he deserves every bit of criticism he receives for how he has largely handled issues such as these, and I do think that vocal criticism of Trump's rhetoric is important.

We should acknowledge that there is much more to this problem than Trump, but I don't think we can simply ignore the rampaging elephant in the room while trying to deal with those more delicate nuanced issues.

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
Munn75 said:

I agree that "Trump" is an oversimplification of the issue. However, I think it would be naive to assume that there has been no effect on race relations due to Trump. The effect of all of this rhetoric is breeding fear and hatred, two very strong catalysts for violence, and still quite damaging by themselves.

I also agree that the other questions you asked are very important. Unfortunately, there is little that I can do to answer those questions. However, I think it is safe to say that the way we fix this isn't by taking the path that Trump has put us on, assuming "this" is "poor race relations". I think that he deserves every bit of criticism he receives for how he has largely handled issues such as these, and I do think that vocal criticism of Trump's rhetoric is important.

We should acknowledge that there is much more to this problem than Trump, but I don't think we can simply ignore the rampaging elephant in the room while trying to deal with those more delicate nuanced issues.

Bad race relations have ramped up since the Obama administration with the case of Zimmerman and Martin. I would say it started to peak a bit during the Baltimore riots and the Dallas police shootings, but honestly it isn't as bad as it was previously if I'm being fair. Now, if we are talking immigration restriction, this doesn't just boil down to one side. Trump is a dunce when it comes to formulating academic phrases, but the left have thrown such a hard curveball in that what Trump says to me doesn't sound near as bad. I wont argue that Trump has said some edgy statements, but his basic ideals are based in laws. Hell, anyone remember when the Democrats were defending MS-13? If you want to say Trump has no validity and shouldn't be taken seriously, then maybe the other side should be slightly more reasonable and not defend a bunch of thugs who beat women and children. I agree with Trump that immigration laws should be enforced. A basic gen ed in economics taught me that. 

Trump may be a nuisance, but how can one blame a terrible kid when the parents made him the way he is?

They posted an update.

They lie about why they didn't know about the identity of the attacker. lol. I think ABC reported the culprit's identity earlier that day or the day before.

CaptainExplosion said:
This is America under President Manbaby. Congrats America, you're a fascist shithole now.

There a big possibility that the racist abuser was left wing in this case. :p

9 Americans are killed by illegals every single day in America. Assuming some of them are black. Racist illegals are killing Black Americans every day in America. With guns knives cars and maybe a brick too.

Wiibaron said:
9 Americans are killed by illegals every single day in America. Assuming some of them are black. Racist illegals are killing Black Americans every day in America. With guns knives cars and maybe a brick too.

Do only the black matter for you, you think those are the biggest victims or why do you need to point out they get killed too?

I do not understand why you're bringing color into it,a person got brutally attacked by a racist that's human firstly and its a problem for all humans.