By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath Traveler IGN Review - JRPG Dream Come True!

Are you getting Octopath Traveler?

Yes, day one/preordered! 45 68.18%

Maybe somewhere down the line 12 18.18%

No, doesn't interest me 9 13.64%

Total:66
Mummelmann said:
abronn627 said:

Did you got it online or at retail ?

I buy my Switch games retail, don't want to fill up the storage. I don't buy digital on PS4 or Xbox One either, but for other reasons.

Can't wait to get this, looks really sweet! And I don't have to work until friday so I'm set.

I meant from a store or online distribution like Amazon, but I guess I wasn’t precise enough 🙄

I was asking because if you’re waiting for your local shop to receive your copy on monday, they’re still on the initial shipment and I can’t stop thinking that Square or retailers have lowballed their expectations for this game. From my professional experience, that’s too often the case with Nintendo platform exclusives because they look too much at preorder to judge the demand, but with Nintendo, the preorder ratio is always lower. The COMG charts are a good exemple of that and this tendency is happening everywhere. 

I’ll stop ranting, I’ve clearly been burned with a retailer bad decisions for too long 😓 

The game is great ! And I hope you will love it too when you receive it on monday.

Around the Network
abronn627 said:
Mummelmann said:

I buy my Switch games retail, don't want to fill up the storage. I don't buy digital on PS4 or Xbox One either, but for other reasons.

Can't wait to get this, looks really sweet! And I don't have to work until friday so I'm set.

I meant from a store or online distribution like Amazon, but I guess I wasn’t precise enough 🙄

I was asking because if you’re waiting for your local shop to receive your copy on monday, they’re still on the initial shipment and I can’t stop thinking that Square or retailers have lowballed their expectations for this game. From my professional experience, that’s too often the case with Nintendo platform exclusives because they look too much at preorder to judge the demand, but with Nintendo, the preorder ratio is always lower. The COMG charts are a good exemple of that and this tendency is happening everywhere. 

I’ll stop ranting, I’ve clearly been burned with a retailer bad decisions for too long 😓 

The game is great ! And I hope you will love it too when you receive it on monday.

Oh, I misunderstood...

I bought mine at a retailer, or ordered a copy anyway. It's kind of difficult for me to purchase physical copies online since the postal services here have gone to shit in the past two years (bunch of scandals) and I'm away for more than 24 hours at a time for work, often missing deliveries. I've had trouble getting small packages delivered several times, but oddly enough, when I bought a set of winter tires with rims, they arrived on time and without a single issue!

I honestly didn't even know about this title, but one of the kids at work played the demo on his Switch and showed me, thinking I'd enjoy it, and he was right! Combat system is awesome and really deep and I adore the visual direction and style, as a bonus, the game appears to be simply massive. Monday can't come soon enough for me!

RolStoppable said:
The game seems to be incredibly long, but unfortunately there's not much variety. Each road and dungeon has the same design, so all you do is walk, go into dead ends for treasure chests and fight random battles. Sidequests are bland.

I got my copy on Wednesday, so I've been playing for a while. Aside from the option to add subclasses, the combat hasn't changed since the beginning and it doesn't look like it will change. Likewise, it doesn't look like the amount of support skills that can be equipped will change, so that's another bummer. Stagnation is quickly reached (relative to the game's length), so everything is the same thing over and over again. At least the EXP gains are healthy, so characters keep leveling up regularly; otherwise I might have already considered to quit. Maybe there will be something fresh once I've reached or completed chapter 4, but right now I don't expect it.

That doesn’t sound good.... sounds like a description ripped straight from the bravely games....  at least the characters aren’t as annoying as those characters so far...  but I feel like I’m gonna be disappointed again...

RolStoppable said:
The game seems to be incredibly long, but unfortunately there's not much variety. Each road and dungeon has the same design, so all you do is walk, go into dead ends for treasure chests and fight random battles. Sidequests are bland.

I got my copy on Wednesday, so I've been playing for a while. Aside from the option to add subclasses, the combat hasn't changed since the beginning and it doesn't look like it will change. Likewise, it doesn't look like the amount of support skills that can be equipped will change, so that's another bummer. Stagnation is quickly reached (relative to the game's length), so everything is the same thing over and over again. At least the EXP gains are healthy, so characters keep leveling up regularly; otherwise I might have already considered to quit. Maybe there will be something fresh once I've reached or completed chapter 4, but right now I don't expect it.

Hm...well I know we don't agree on everything, but this sounds like my biggest fear with this game. The demo gave me the impression of something that would be fun for a while, then get steadily more boring. Stagnation is basically how I would describe the Bravely games, which also had strong first impressions only to get stupidly boring as they went on.

I guess I'll stay in the wait and see camp for a while longer.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

gergroy said:
RolStoppable said:

That doesn’t sound good.... sounds like a description ripped straight from the bravely games....  at least the characters aren’t as annoying as those characters so far...  but I feel like I’m gonna be disappointed again...

But the Bravely games were fantastic!

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
gergroy said:

Ugh, no.  The combat was good in that series and that’s it.  An RPG with that bad of characters, story, and recycled assets can’t be called fantastic in my opinion.  Even though the combat was great, I would consider those games among the worst I have played in my life...

gergroy said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Ugh, no.  The combat was good in that series and that’s it.  An RPG with that bad of characters, story, and recycled assets can’t be called fantastic in my opinion.  Even though the combat was great, I would consider those games among the worst I have played in my life...

I loved them. They were a long awaited return to form, after having years of non-traditional Final Fantasy titles. The story was a nice twist on the traditional "get all four crystals, and save the world" story that played out in the earliest FF games. The ability to change the random encounter rate at any time, really sped up the game, and took a lot of the tedium out of it. The class system was a welcome return. Square stopped doing classes all the way back in FFV. 

But this is all coming from somebody who thinks VI was the pinnacle of the FF series, and thinks it has gone downhill over the last 20 years. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

I loved them. They were a long awaited return to form, after having years of non-traditional Final Fantasy titles. The story was a nice twist on the traditional "get all four crystals, and save the world" story that played out in the earliest FF games. The ability to change the random encounter rate at any time, really sped up the game, and took a lot of the tedium out of it. The class system was a welcome return. Square stopped doing classes all the way back in FFV. 

But this is all coming from somebody who thinks VI was the pinnacle of the FF series, and thinks it has gone downhill over the last 20 years. 

Actually. FF12 The Zodiac Age has classes. That game is really amazing, I'd play it over Bravely Default any time of the day :P

Keybladewielder said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Actually. FF12 The Zodiac Age has classes. That game is really amazing, I'd play it over Bravely Default any time of the day :P

And I've played that game, on both PS4, and PS2. Why did it slip my mind?