By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath Traveler IGN Review - JRPG Dream Come True!

Are you getting Octopath Traveler?

Yes, day one/preordered! 45 68.18%

Maybe somewhere down the line 12 18.18%

No, doesn't interest me 9 13.64%

Total:66

Was hoping i it would arrive today, but sadly it didn't. I am so excited to continue the story

Around the Network
SuperNova said:

Mine has just arrived! :3
Can't wait to open it up and get into it!

Edit: It sounds like a little bit of a shame that the stories don't converge and tangle more past a certain point, but it is a very original choice to make and I'm willing to give the dev team a huuuge benefit of the doubt on the story, since I haven't played it yet.

Hiku said:

I like the look of the game, and the battle system especially seems like something I'd enjoy.
My only concern is how he described the different story paths, as if they're almost completely unrelated to each other. I guess I was hoping for the stories to get intertwined and that each one would expand on another in some ways.
But I'll probably check it out if I have the chance. Reminds me a bit of Bravely Default.

Octopath Traveller is about 8 individual stories, not 8 perspectives on one overarching plot. It reminds me a lot of SaGa Frontier. 

Nice, the Switch really is shaping up to be "Paradise" for the JRPG gamer.

*slight smiles*

I wrote this one off since the first demo didn't really impress me, but I might have to pick it up at some point. Seems like it's getting a ton of praise. Then again...so did Bravely Default at first...maybe I should wait till people complete it.

Last edited by Super_Boom - on 12 July 2018

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

my collectors edition will be here tomorrow. hype.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Due to the recent flooding no shop close to me has it and my amazon order is slated to arrive on the 25th. *sigh*
(But I don't want to download it out of principle.)

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Xxain said:

Octopath Traveller is about 8 individual stories, not 8 perspectives on one overarching plot. It reminds me a lot of SaGa Frontier. 

I'm not exactly looking for an overarching plot that's present in all storylines, but rather some ways they get intertwined.
For example, in SaGa Frontier 2, Gustave's story ended a bit abruptly and ambiguous, to the point where I wasn't sure if I would perhaps see him again later. But then in Will's storyline, "Gustave" does show up again. Except it's a fake Gustave.
The presence of this character in Will's story had a bigger impact on the story because we got to know Gustave through the previous story, and how he built up his reputation, rather than if the character's backstory had been explained in exposition.

It seems like the main characters of Octapath Traveler team up in the game? So I'm hoping that they affect each others story lines in interesting ways, even if they all have different goals.

They don't team up for a common goal they more so just cross paths and travel together lending their skills to the party to see out their on story, the open ended nature of the game made it difficult for SE to make the characters interact and affect each others stories as the amount of chapters and 8 stories for 8 characters would require a lot of combinations for every scene.

Was tempted to buy the Wayfarer's Edition but it was sold out on Amazon. Probably for the best though, as my finances are hurting a bit as it is. Settled for the regular edition, but had to at least opt for a physical copy. Now the wait begins.. Watching live streams in the meantime, looks awesome. While the turn based RPGs are hit and miss to me, I do love the retro 80's-90's JRPG vibe ala Dragon Quest, FF6, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, etc.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Finally got a Switch.

Got it with Zelda BOTW (double dipped since I already have the Wii U version), and Hollow Knight.

But the reason I finally got it now (Octopath Traveler) lands in a few hours and I can’t wait to finally play it!

After playing the first demo, I was a bit disappointed. I heard that they made massive modifications to it, and it seems that reviews agree. I might just end up buying this

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

My special edition will arrive shortly. Still got a day of work to get through..