By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Stock Hits 10-Year High

Replicant said:

KBG29 said:
Sony had and still has all the tools to be a major player in all aspects ranging across OS, Hardware, Software, Digital Store Front, Music, Games, Movies, TV, Displays, Stereos, Spreakers, and more. All they have to do is just unify behind a common goal. Sadley, they just can not get all divisions on the same page. Even today continue to fight against each other. As they continued to fight with no division gaining any ground, and billions being lost, investors almost completely gave up on them.

This is so true. They should do something along the lines of what some of those online personal projects suggest as e.g. this one: https://itsasonyblog.wordpress.com

So... how is that going to work?

Sony releases a normal sized smartphone (called Sony Phone) and a bigger version (called Sony Phone Pro) and ditches the small model?

Then they doesn't update the Sony Phone and Sony Phone Pro for years while Samsung and Apple offer improved models every year? Or will they improve the two models every year and sell them with the same name, leading to customer confusion (is this the 2019 model or the 2020 model or the new 2021 model?)

Around the Network
Conina said:
Replicant said:

This is so true. They should do something along the lines of what some of those online personal projects suggest as e.g. this one: https://itsasonyblog.wordpress.com

Sony releases a normal sized smartphone (called Sony Phone) and a bigger version (called Sony Phone Pro) and ditches the small model?

Then they doesn't update the Sony Phone and Sony Phone Pro for years while Samsung and Apple offer improved models every year? Or will they improve the two models every year and sell them with the same name, leading to customer confusion (is this the 2019 model or the 2020 model or the new 2021 model?)

According to the blog:

"Instead of 18 different phones, Sony needs to only offer two concurrent models, one with a standard-sized screen and one with a large-sized screen. These two models are then replaced by upgraded versions once a year. A number will be added to the end of the name to specify what generation it belongs to, as is the case with the Sony PlayStation 4 Pro. The fourth-generation Sony TV Pro will be named “Sony TV 4 Pro”. The following year, it will be replaced by the “Sony TV 5 Pro”."

As for the image above, I don't think it matters what year the phones are from as the criticism is aimed at the fact that Sony at the time was selling 18 different phone models (each with different options for color and storage) on their website.

Replicant said: 

I agree. They have to act now.

Streaming and mobile gaming will soon eat into PlayStation’s market share (more than they already have). Expanding Orbis OS to run on not only PS4 but also phones and TVs would be a solid starting point. And honestly, Sony has nothing to lose by leaving Android (both their phone and TV market shares are diminishing and their product portfolio a mess).

Of course their services (PS Now, PS Vue, PS Video, and PS Music) would have to be deeply integrated in the OS as this would give them an upper hand in the battle to offer a connected experience across all devices (if you pause a game on your phone, you’ll be able to continue on your PS4 or TV when returning home).

Mobile gaming is now challenging console gaming directly in that it offers an experience close to the one offered by home consoles. As the leader of console gaming, Sony will have a clear advantage bringing the PlayStation brand, store, content, and maybe even controls to mobiles.

They have a huge challenge though. Smartphone owners won’t buy a phone unless it grants them access to all of their favorite apps and not even Microsoft (with its deep pockets) managed to get developers put out versions of their apps on Windows Phone.

Spot on.

I agree that getting apps is going to be a monumental task, but I think they can learn from Microsofts, and their own mistakes in Mobile. They have to make sure that it is truly one Sony OS, and one ecosystem. It has to be effortless for developers to support the entire ecosystem. If they make every device, and every business unit work towards a common goal, they can have a lengthy ramp up cycle to success.

The biggest problem with Xperia and Windows Phones, is their complete lack of connection to each companies most vital assets. Xperia is on a completely different planet, and has no access to PlayStation. Microsoft tried to build Windows Phones from scratch, with no connection to Windows or Xbox. Both companies are failing in Mobile, because their business startagies are/were complete trash. 

Micorosft is setting themselves up very nicely now, with Windows being built to scale from weak phones to monster PCs. They will be in good shape when they re-enter the mobile space. Sony just needs to continue to expand the scalability of its PlayStation assets. 

I have no doubt they can split the difference between Vita and PSP, and bring in about 50 Million consumers with a PS Phone, even with a limited app selection, as long as they have the absolute basics. As long as they have a shared architecture between all of their devices, development and support will be very cheap, and they will be very profitable at low volume. Reaching PSP numbers or above, will be were they really have to go after, and be open to more apps.

Conina said:

Honestly, I think Sony needs to go to one Phone until they get some momentum. Make PlayStation Phone, and support it with full force. They don't need to try and sell 200 million phones a year. If they can sell 10 million PlayStation Phones a year, they will be doing very well. The have carved out their own space in the home computer market with PlayStation Consoles, now they need to do the same in the mobile market with PlayStation Phones. 

I would follow the same business model they have with PS4 in the Phone market. Base PS Phone, minor revisions each year, PS Phone 1000 year 1, PS Phone 1100 year 2, PS Phone 1200 year 3. Then year 4, PS Phone Slim 2000 has a smaller redesign and cheaper price with major marketing push to reach a broader range of customer, while PS Phone Pro 7000 is launched at the high end users. Then it continues PS Phone Slim 2100 and PS Phone Pro 7100, PS Phone Slim 2200 and PS Phone Pro 7200, and so on until they release PS Phone 2.

Just like with the Home consoles, the XX00 model number would not be advertised, but the core userbase would know the differences. They would only list the PS Phone on the website, just as they only advertise PS4 and PS4 Pro, and don't break down PS4 1000, PS4 1100, PS4 1200, etc., just make it simple. Like I said, the core users will know the differences between each minor revision, and there will be some that upgrade more often than others. Your more casual PS Phone users will buy whatever is on the shelf, and they will use it for many years, until it either breaks, or there is a significant enough upgrade or redesign, that they feel justified to upgrade.

If Sony is doing it right, there phones will be so tailored to their target demographic, that their users would have no interest in what Samsung and Apple are doing anyways. Just like PlayStation Home consoles are only a tiny fraction of Home PC sales, PlayStation Phone can be a tiny fraction of Mobile sales, and still be able to rake in billionsin profits. If they are dedicated to their 50 to 100 Million users, the users will be dedicated to them.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:

Conina said:

Honestly, I think Sony needs to go to one Phone until they get some momentum. Make PlayStation Phone, and support it with full force. They don't need to try and sell 200 million phones a year. If they can sell 10 million PlayStation Phones a year, they will be doing very well. The have carved out their own space in the home computer market with PlayStation Consoles, now they need to do the same in the mobile market with PlayStation Phones. 

I would follow the same business model they have with PS4 in the Phone market. Base PS Phone, minor revisions each year, PS Phone 1000 year 1, PS Phone 1100 year 2, PS Phone 1200 year 3. Then year 4, PS Phone Slim 2000 has a smaller redesign and cheaper price with major marketing push to reach a broader range of customer, while PS Phone Pro 7000 is launched at the high end users. Then it continues PS Phone Slim 2100 and PS Phone Pro 7100, PS Phone Slim 2200 and PS Phone Pro 7200, and so on until they release PS Phone 2.

So "one size fits all"? Even Apple realized a few years ago that different people have different preferences in phone size. Since then they are offering three display sizes.

radha said:

@ Aeolus451  That would be actually bad for the company, meaningless to the 80 million clients they have and good for the competition

How is expected good news bad for the company and good for the competition?

Around the Network
Conina said:

KBG29 said:

So "one size fits all"? Even Apple realized a few years ago that different people have different preferences in phone size. Since then they are offering three display sizes.

I don't think one size fits all is the ultimate gameplan. Like I said, I would introduce a slim model in time to attract a wider range of consumers. To start with though, I think Sony just needs to offer one PlayStation Phone, that they focus on fully, and is easily marketable. This means killing off Xperia, and shifting full attiontion to PlayStation Phone, while educating consumers about their new direction. This has to be well planned, well executed, and extremely simple to communicate. Having one PlayStation Phone to tout in the beginning makes the whole thing simpler, and easier to understand. 

Once they have established their new direction, and built a foundation, that is the perfect time for a refresh. Offer the PS Phone Slim, smaller and cheaper than the original, and the PS Phone Pro, bigger and more expensive than the orginal. Then once they build up enough apps, I would go super casual, and make a touch only version, that can slip into a controller dock, but looks like any other smartphone otherwise. This would be once they start to make their push beyond their core demographic, and try to snag some iOS and Android users, or PlayStation fans that just wouldn't buy a phone with built in gaming controls, for reasons. 

Then with PS Phone 2 I would repete the cycle. Single unit to start attracting the core users. Followed by a smaller model, and a more powerful model, allowing to reach more people, and offer a top of the line upgrade for core users. Then finally, a casual touch only model, that can be docked into a controller. 

In a 10 year span, that would only be 6 models. PS Phone/Slim, PS Phone Pro, PS Phone Touch, PS Phone/Slim 2, PS Phone 2 Pro, and PS Phone 2 Touch. 

And again. They don't have to be a 200M unit a year business. If they can maintain even 10 Million a year, they would be doing perfectly fine. Just like PlayStation consoles are a multi-billion dollar a year business in the home space on 80 million users, PlayStation phones can do the same thing in the mobile space.

That said, if they did this, and began to offer a wider range of services and software on PS5, PSVR2, and PS Phone, I beleive they would push well past the current userbase numbers. Done right, they can continue to focus on games, while they let others develop non gaming apps. Meaning PlayStation Products remain as focused as ever on gaming, while also having the ability to handle even more personal and business necessities. Basically, a role reversal from Apple, where everything else is forefront, and games are over in the corner. Sony would be games, games, games, while, Apps and Productivity software would be over in the corner.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
Conina said:

I don't think one size fits all is the ultimate gameplan. Like I said, I would introduce a slim model in time to attract a wider range of consumers. To start with though, I think Sony just needs to offer one PlayStation Phone, that they focus on fully, and is easily marketable. This means killing off Xperia, and shifting full attiontion to PlayStation Phone, while educating consumers about their new direction. This has to be well planned, well executed, and extremely simple to communicate. Having one PlayStation Phone to tout in the beginning makes the whole thing simpler, and easier to understand. 

So this first device... how much would it weight?

Which size would it have? Would it have sticks and buttons that add to weight and size?

Would it be water and dust resistant? Not that easy with physical sticks and butttons, but expected of high priced smartphones.

How much percent battery drain is per hour gaming? Will the user be notified how many hours are left before he can't make or receive phone calls?

What kind of games would it be able to play?

What other advantage to the competitors would it have?

Last edited by Conina - on 16 July 2018

Conina said:
KBG29 said:

So this first device... how much would it weight?

Roughly the same as PS Vita 1000.

Which size would it have? Would it have sticks and buttons that add to weight and size?

5" 1080p screen. Yes, it would have sticks, and buttons, it would be aimed at people that care about games first and foremost. 

Would it be water and dust resistant? Not that easy with physical sticks and butttons, but expected of high priced smartphones.

Ideally, but most likely not. Again, it won't be competeing with expensive smartphones, as it would be aimed at people that could care less about Android and iOS devices. Also, Sony should follow their PlayStation business model, build cost of $400, sell for $400. No need to go for the smartphone business model of, $300 build price, with a $1,000 sale price.

How much percent battery drain is per hour gaming? Will the user be notified how many hours are left before he can't make or receive phone calls?

This would very greatly depending on the game. PS4 and PS5 AAA games, best case scenario with Gen 1 Phone 2 - 4 hours. Users would absolutely be made aware of their battery usage, and ability to continue use for necessity/emergency needs.

What kind of games would it be able to play?

All PS4 and PS5 games. PS4 would run at base PS4 specs, while PS5 games would be cut back to 720p - 1080p. Ideally, they would work with mobile game makers to get major iOS and Android games, with Cross Play between PS5, PS Phone, and Smartphones. Finally, any and all B/C Sony supports would be supported across PS5 and PS Phone.

PS Phone would be a PS5 running on a Mobile Ryzen/Navi SOC, giving it the same architecture as PS5, just like PS4 and PS4 Pro. So every game made for PS5 would also be made for PS Phone, assuring it is supported, and eleminating the massive additional investment to port to a seperate architecture/platform.

What other advantage to the competitors would it have?

Pyshical controls, 3rd party console games, and Sony exclusives. Cross Play with PS5, Cloud Saves to continue your game between PS5 and PS Phone seamlessly. Dockable for TV gaming and tetherable to DS5, for those that are satisfied with it as their primary gaming device, and don't want a PS5 as well. 

Again, I can't stress enough, that Sony's focus should be on gamers. The PlayStation Phone would not be a device or Platform, that is going after 200 million sales a year. It would be a niche device just like PlayStation Home Consoles, that targets gamers with a goal of 10 - 20 million sales a year, and a userbase between 60 - 120 million. It would not be aimed at people looking for the most compact and waterproof devices, with the best selfie camera and multi-camera back cam. It would be a handheld gaming device first and foremost, with OS level support for calls and texts. It would have front and rear cameras, both to check the box, and for use in certain games.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:

Again, I can't stress enough, that Sony's focus should be on gamers. The PlayStation Phone would not be a device or Platform, that is going after 200 million sales a year. It would be a niche device just like PlayStation Home Consoles, that targets gamers with a goal of 10 - 20 million sales a year, and a userbase between 60 - 120 million. It would not be aimed at people looking for the most compact and waterproof devices, with the best selfie camera and multi-camera back cam. It would be a handheld gaming device first and foremost, with OS level support for calls and texts. It would have front and rear cameras, both to check the box, and for use in certain games.

You really think that almost every PlayStation Gamer would ditch his iPhone or Android phone and eventually go for a PlayStation phone... with all the downsides compared to other smartphones? (more weight, bigger device, harder to pocket, worse cameras, no water and dust resistance, much smaller selection of apps, some popular apps WON'T be available, already bought iOS or Android apps can't be used anymore, much more flash memory needed for bigger games, very low battery life if they game on it...)

Just to have the option to play some PlayStation games on the go on their phone? Not everybody who enjoys to play PS games at home also wants (or has time) to play these games on the go on a tiny screen... or carry around a bigger and heavier than necessary device 24/7, if they only want to play on it once or twice a week. Console gaming at home is only one of their hobbies, not their live purpose that everything revolves around.

Wtf am I reading???

My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy tells me everyday that Sony is dying and they have to sell buildings to keep afloat. And that their television and mobile phone business is dead and nobody should be buying them.

So how the fook are their stocks at a 10 year high??? Something must be wrong!!!!!