By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS Vita hits 16m sales!

Stuart23 said:
Congrats. A few years ago I always said that Wii U would beat the Vita in sales and I admit I was dead wrong. While it is probably on its last legs now, it was a good cult system that unfortunately Sony didn't support more.

Agreed. The system could've been more successful, if Sony had put more trust in it and send some more support it's way.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Stuart23 said:
Congrats. A few years ago I always said that Wii U would beat the Vita in sales and I admit I was dead wrong. While it is probably on its last legs now, it was a good cult system that unfortunately Sony didn't support more.

Agreed. The system could've been more successful, if Sony had put more trust in it and send some more support it's way.

Sony just gave up way too fast...I know the system wasn't selling well,but there was still interest on the system (especially on Japan) that Sony never really took advantage of it. I see it as kind of an opposite Wii U situation, where the thirds kept fighting for the console way after the first parties left the boat.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Darwinianevolution said:
LivingMetal said:

Don't. Mock The. VITA. Ever.

But I'm just congratulating it... :(

nah... it's overtracked on this site by a good large amount

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Deserved better. Was my main handheld even over the 3DS. There are no victories here...

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
PSV 140,312 (-81%) 16,003,674

I noticed it recently passed this milestone. I remember for years there were debates on who would sell more between Wii u and vita. Who would finish last for the gen. I think it's settled now even taking into account the margin for error. 

That was settled once Nintendo (wisely) pulled the plug on the Wii U after 4 years and 3 months, compared to the Vita which has been on sale for 6 years and 7 months.  Of course with over 2 years less sales data the Wii U finishes with less sales.  But, if we're being honest, they both finished last.  Wii U (13.9 million) was last to it's direct competitors Xbox One (37.7 million) and PS4 (80.1 million).  Vita (16 million) was last to it's direct competitor 3DS (72.2 million).  Nintendo purposely pulled the plug on the Wii U rather than trickle in sales to make way for the Switch which sold more in 1 year (17.8 million) than the Wii U managed in 4x that amount of time or the Vita in over 6x that.  

Still a head scratcher how Vita outsold Wii U. Wii U had Mario ffs.

Even VGchartz have erased Wii U from the front page. Well, Nintendo did the same so.... smh

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

It's definately outsold wii u by now but what about software, what was the best selling vita game? Mario kart 8 did 8.4 million, surely no vita game sold near even half of that other than minecraft.

Last edited by Metroid33slayer - on 10 July 2018

Such untapped potential these should be the years we get the best from the system

Mnementh said:
Stuart23 said:

The hardware design & memory cards..... just wasnt up to par.
Sony messed up the hardware simple as that, it coulda been cheaper and used normal memory cards.

I dont think better software 1st party support would have done much for it.

Its a great little system for all the jrpgs it has though, and thats the niche that helped got it accross that 16m mark.