By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NINTENDO stock -34% since March 2018

Megiddo said:
KLAMarine said:
Is stock investing much different from gambling?

Very much different.  There are a lot of extremely low risk methods that you can increase your money. 

GProgrammer said:
KLAMarine said:

I'll take your word for it. I just put all my money in a savings account when it comes time to 'invest'.

And earn a couple of percent interest, you're better off doing what I do, very safe over time, just put your money into a portfolio which invests in lots of stocks, mines in over 100 companies, sure I don't make huge gains but its usually between 10%-15% gain each year

Cerebralbore101 said:
KLAMarine said:

I'll take your word for it. I just put all my money in a savings account when it comes time to 'invest'.

There are three types of stocks. Income, value, and growth. 

A growth stock is a stock that you hope will go up in price in the future. Growth stocks are the most like gambling. 

An Income stock is a stock that pays out 5% or more on a yearly basis. These stocks are stable, and legitimate investments. They also pay more than savings accounts or CODs. 

A Value stock is a stock that sells low, but should be worth more. Sort of the same as a growth stock, but in reverse. I guess. 

What matters most is that you invest in Income stocks like a sane individual. Don't bother with the other kinds of stock, unless you have some secret knowledge on the industry. 

Well guess I gotta give this investment thing a go now after three replies back-to-back. Income stocks it is.

Around the Network

Buy Bitcoin and you're good on investments.

Stocks have nothing to do with the actual business. Stocks are stock holders perception of the business. Switch and Nintendo are doing great and the fact that the stock is down has zero bearing on how well the company and their products are doing. It's not like Nintendo loses money when their stock goes down. The only thing that happens is the top dogs in the company can be held responsible by investors if the stock of a company is doing too poorly, but it doesn't affect the company itself.

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/ntdoy/historical

The stock is only down by 21% from March. Things have changed a bit since this Forbes article was written.

Slownenberg said:
Buy Bitcoin and you're good on investments.

Stocks have nothing to do with the actual business. Stocks are stock holders perception of the business. Switch and Nintendo are doing great and the fact that the stock is down has zero bearing on how well the company and their products are doing. It's not like Nintendo loses money when their stock goes down. The only thing that happens is the top dogs in the company can be held responsible by investors if the stock of a company is doing too poorly, but it doesn't affect the company itself.

Certainly feels that way. I can only wonder how familiar most stockholders are with the video game business.

Until Smash arrives

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Is stock investing much different from gambling?

Investing is a very broad and deep market to liken it to gambling, people do gamble when investing but investing itself is a lot more than gambling which is why people like Warren Buffett have made their careers from it with consistent returns.

If you want to get into investing it's best to get an understanding of the markets, risk management, terminology, different approaches to investing and safety strats like hedging positions, I know it sounds like a lot but trust me it'll contribute to helping avoid losses.

Nintendo has hit a new low sometime in June. But they are already back on track. In the last 4 weeks, Nintendo's stock was rising by 9.4 % while the Nikkei 225 in the same time was rising by only 2.4 %. So Nintendo is quite comfortably outperforming the market right now. In the long run the positive route of the stock still stays intact with gains of 69 % in the last three years. It's totally normal that stocks lose value sometime and it's quite common to happen when a stock hits new highs. A lot of investors will want to make money, so they sell their stocks when they reach very high value. That brings the prices down and that can look pretty brutal sometimes. But it's not as dramatic as many people think.

Overall Nintendo is perfectly ok at the time so don't you worry. The asian markets were pretty weak this year overall thanks to a certain mad man sitting at the white house who constantly screws up trade around the globe.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Nintendo has hit a new low sometime in June. ...

Really though, their lowest was July 4th.

And that point was anything but a new low.
It matches the value in June of 2017, when the value was on the rise.

Before June 2017, Nintendo had not had such a strong stock price since the fall of 2008.
Not even the Pokémon GO launch spike two years ago was a high as the price on July 4th this year. So the drama is a little played up.

I was talking about this year, not about an all-time low or anything. And I just overflew the Chart, so eh. Anyway, you get the whole idea. =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

It seems to be recovering quite nicely this month. I think shareholders may have jumped the gun on expectations and outdated preconceptions about the state of the videogame market.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.