By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

I given up Splatoon 3 so I'm considering getting Soul Hackers

Question is I love Persona with passion, but had mixed reactions to SMT 5. Press turn combat is great and imo better than Persona and MP management is much more lenient in SMT too. The game has a much more open spaces, meaning it focus on exploring instead of tight gaming design, which is fine as I appreciate both dungeons and exploration. The setting is also very atmospheric, which is nice and the OST (although nowhere near Persona level) is decent.

The problems are SMT 5 has a very boring and dull story, repetitive gameplay dynamics and maps. It's basically wasteland after wasteland with only combats and eventual side quests that aren't fun to being with. So you spend 60 hours in a desert capturing Pokedemons and fusing them and that's it. A JRPG without a good story, characters and is soulless for me, but really the dull wastelands were the worst for me, must be the least visually appealing game I've played in a while and made me completely uninterested in exploration because... what's there to explore in first place?

I want to know how Soul Hackers plays compared to the other two.

Around the Network

Hogwarts Legacy has officially been delayed, but, there is a release date! February 10th, 2023

Hmm, so far Spider-Man on Steam has leveled off at 60,000 players and has hovered around that number for the past 30 minutes. Slightly going up and slightly going down. I was expecting a much higher number, but still respectable.

I wonder how much of an impact the game releasing in the middle of the night in Asia and Oceania, and the morning of a business day in the Americas had on player counts? Europe primarily had the best timing to play the game since it launched in the late afternoon. We'll have to see over the next 6 hours if numbers start to go up dramatically.

I understand the frustration of why PC versions get all different kinds of features and customization but that’s due to the nature of PC gaming. Console hardware is static and doesn’t change till a revision or next-gen upgrade. PC’s have years worth different hardware customizations and there’s like 10 different sku’s of components ever single year going from affordable to super powerful. So a proper PC game has all the features you see advertised because the game has to be able to scale to run on an absolute potato to the beefiest of gaming rigs.

So it’s not so much that PS5 can’t handle a lot of those type of features and customizable settings, it’s more that there’s not really a reason to. Plus after watching Digital Foundry’s tech review, Ray tracing on console still doesn’t hold a candle to a capable PC.

But, with features like FSR, 120fps support, and VRR, that type of capabilities is growing on console. Still another generation or two from really bridging the gap.

twintail said:
DonFerrari said:

The only "publisher" they bought so far have been bungie. So I would expect a similar level of freedom. Meaning Final Fantasy (perhaps DQ, but for reasons gave in a thread that is unlikely) and some very big AAA to be 2-4 years PS only and then coming to PC, the other titles would remain multiplats as they wouldn't push console sales and could enjoy extra revenue on other platforms (perhaps they could even be day one on PS+ but not going GP).

I don't think the 2 situations are comparable. Bungie continuing multiplatform is essential for their next title and for them to be able to ace as the GaaS education and communication centre for the entirety of PS Studios (kind of like how Haven is probably the equivalent for Cloud tech). Sony would be shooting their own foot by limiting Bungie's continued growth.

But I agree that I can see the likes of SE operating in a hybrid model: certain titles are multiplatform and act as gateways to the content they keep exclusive. I can definitely see FF becoming fully exclusive (mainline and spinoffs). 

Capcom would be different... I don't think RE, SF or MH become exclusive (though spinoffs yes). Everything else would be exclusive. ITt's an interesting conversation and obviously I have no business understanding into these companies to know what's best lol

gtotheunit91 said:

Hogwarts Legacy has officially been delayed, but, there is a release date! February 10th, 2023

Sony will have a good opening to 2023. marketing for Calypso in December (2022 >), Forspoken exclusive in Jan, marketing for Hogwarts in Feb, RE4 marketing and MLB in March. Look forward to seeing how April onwards looks for them. 

Totally agree with you that it isn't the same situation, but it is the closest we can draw from, for me when we analyze Bungie MP, Sony making more ports for PC the cost of the purchases it would make sense to go hybrid.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
twintail said:

I'm curious how you'd expect Sony to handle the content from a publisher like SE or Capcom. Do you expect them to go entirely exclusive (where possible), or to take a hybrid approach where certain IP are multiplatform, but the rest of the library remains exclusive?

I could see a potential Square or Capcom acquisition going completely exclusive with PC ports down the line since they have an immense legacy with the PlayStation brand. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see exclusivity for certain games/franchises, with the rest staying multiplatform. 

Kyuu said:

One thing I dislike about Sony is how they're prioritizng PC over PS5 in some cases. Like.... PC versions getting features and updates that aren't available on PS5 versions which are often PS4 games with slightly higher res and fps. Spider-Man Remastered isn't even available on PS5 as a standalone game, and is instead packaged in the Ultimate Edition of Miles Morales. That's not how you want to treat your primary consumers, many of whom have been with you since the PS1.

In a way, the PC versions of these games should come out with more bells and whistles, especially if Sony wants to sell older ports of PS4 exclusives at full price, when the PS4 versions have been heavily discounted for a few years now.

Spider-Man on Steam has gone up to 65,000 players today, so numbers are going up!

gtotheunit91 said:

I understand the frustration of why PC versions get all different kinds of features and customization but that’s due to the nature of PC gaming. Console hardware is static and doesn’t change till a revision or next-gen upgrade. PC’s have years worth different hardware customizations and there’s like 10 different sku’s of components ever single year going from affordable to super powerful. So a proper PC game has all the features you see advertised because the game has to be able to scale to run on an absolute potato to the beefiest of gaming rigs.

So it’s not so much that PS5 can’t handle a lot of those type of features and customizable settings, it’s more that there’s not really a reason to. Plus after watching Digital Foundry’s tech review, Ray tracing on console still doesn’t hold a candle to a capable PC.

But, with features like FSR, 120fps support, and VRR, that type of capabilities is growing on console. Still another generation or two from really bridging the gap.

I would say PS5 have a lot of features that I wasn't expecting and that are mostly PC centric (and probably Xbox, but I don't follow to really know, from what I hear they have more than PS5 anyway), so the level of choice is bigger than ever for consoles.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I would say PS5 have a lot of features that I wasn't expecting and that are mostly PC centric (and probably Xbox, but I don't follow to really know, from what I hear they have more than PS5 anyway), so the level of choice is bigger than ever for consoles.

By a mile for sure! This generation of consoles is the closest to PC level gaming consoles have ever been. And the gap between the two will continue to close as the years go on. Hell, the custom SSD in the PS5 is so fast that Spider-Man actually loads faster on PS5 than a top of the line commercial SSD on PC right now lol. By a solid couple of seconds too. 

Idk if they’ll ever become 1:1 in performance comparison as there’s new processors, graphics cards, hard drives, etc ever other year whereas consoles take several years at least before a hardware upgrade happen, but that’s also why it’s such a big deal that PC features such as AMD’s FSR 2.0 upscaling AI technology can be fully utilized on console to where hardware limitations become less and less of an issue. The future of console gaming is as bright as ever for sure!