By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

DonFerrari said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I have been thoroughly impressed by Sony's embrace of PC technology in general with their venture in to the market. Continues the tradition with SM Remastered that it'll be Steam Deck Verified at launch. All of Sony's other releases have received the same verification. Not even all of Xbox's releases have that kind of verification! Or are as embracing of PC tech like DLSS and DLAA. 

Insomniac is almost unfair. Doesn't matter the technology, if it can be included in their game they will =p each update sony made to the FW that allows for a new mode they have patched to SM.

It's not just Insomniac. God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Days Gone are all Steam Deck Verified along with adding a slew of popular PC tech features to each title. Sony has really gone above and beyond in ensuring that if you're a PC gamer and you're looking to buy a PlayStation Studios game on PC, you're getting a top quality PC product. 

I have no doubt Uncharted Collection and TLoU Part I will continue this trend. Even the mystery page in Steam's Database that's pointing to Returnal coming to PC was updated a couple weeks ago outright showing Steam Deck support at launch. 

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
DonFerrari said:

Insomniac is almost unfair. Doesn't matter the technology, if it can be included in their game they will =p each update sony made to the FW that allows for a new mode they have patched to SM.

It's not just Insomniac. God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Days Gone are all Steam Deck Verified along with adding a slew of popular PC tech features to each title. Sony has really gone above and beyond in ensuring that if you're a PC gamer and you're looking to buy a PlayStation Studios game on PC, you're getting a top quality PC product. 

I have no doubt Uncharted Collection and TLoU Part I will continue this trend. Even the mystery page in Steam's Database that's pointing to Returnal coming to PC was updated a couple weeks ago outright showing Steam Deck support at launch. 

Sure, I understood your point. I was just saying that Insomniac go even beyond that, more than Guerilla (and yes HFW have adopted a lot of new features when PS5 enabled them).

I think Sony want to ensure that they give the best possible experience they can, be it so people will be willing to pay the full price for a "later port" or to give a strong impression, strong enough so the person may consider buying a PS5 to play that day one.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I also think that sony is doing their PC integration best.

You know, make their games come out on the console first, give them time there to establish an identity, then port it so everyone wins while still giving their console business the rub.

No idea why this is so hard.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

PS5 has now taken the 2nd spot for yearly sales in the UK.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/1555146854693801986?cxt=HHwWhMC4-eT0_pQrAAAA

There was a slight drop in console stock for PS5 and Xbox last month in the UK, and all three console platforms are down month-on-month. The only notable thing is that PS5 is now the No.2 selling console in the UK this year (so far). But it's all just stock-related really

Blood_Tears said:

PS5 has now taken the 2nd spot for yearly sales in the UK.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/1555146854693801986?cxt=HHwWhMC4-eT0_pQrAAAA

There was a slight drop in console stock for PS5 and Xbox last month in the UK, and all three console platforms are down month-on-month. The only notable thing is that PS5 is now the No.2 selling console in the UK this year (so far). But it's all just stock-related really

This is a news we won't see in tweeter.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

Review embargo for Spider-Man Remastered on PC/Steam Deck has been lifted with reviews coming out and overall, another insanely solid release for PlayStation on PC. It was noted by SkillUp's review that when you first launch the game, you get a launcher window that allows you to calibrate settings before launching the game. Which is honestly something I wish developers would go back to. Don't see that anymore.

BUT, there's another tab on the launcher that simply says "PlayStation PC" which when you click on it, it sends you to a broken URL on the PlayStation Store website. SkillUp believes that this could indicate that Sony will add a PC games tab on their website like how there's different sections for PS5, PS4, PS VR, etc.

SegaHeart said:

@PotentHerbs What would your move be if you led Sony? I would probably want Sony Acquisition being announced in September I guess? Then Once the acquisition is finalized If I have enough money I go for big Fish 2nd aka Capcom, Would add more PS1/PS2 titles in October/November/December.

Based on the current landscape, I would prioritize strengthening the gaming division through strategic M&A, which would mean increasing the budget for mid term acquisitions. Major targets would be Square Enix and Capcom, ideally one is announced for this fiscal year, while the other is announced for the next fiscal year: 

1. Increases overall IP library/content output 
2. Boosts legacy software for subscription services 
3. Multimedia push for Sony Pictures/Sony Music/PlayStation Productions
4. Flexible IP's that can be adapted in the mobile space

After locking down key partners, or having deals lined up and ready to announce in the future, I would shift my focus back to organic growth, acquiring independent partners like Deviation, Ember Labs, Arrowhead, Hello Games, as well as some VR teams, to round out the rest of SIE. The rest of the generation is about growing the popularity of the PlayStation brand: 

1. Alleviating stock issues in the short term 
2. Increasing the popularity of their IP's (marketing push, PC ports, PlayStation Productions)
3. Having popular, live service games, under the first party umbrella
4. Continue to grow IP's and services in markets like China or Middle East

I would essentially try to position Sony Interactive in a way that can increase and maximize profits for the current generation, but have the content, pipeline, and services to pivot into a streaming model for the long term. 

Idk why, but it's exciting to see what peak concurrent player numbers look like for a big release lol. So far for PlayStation on PC, at least on Steam, the peak number of concurrent players have been

Days Gone - 27,380
Horizon: Zero Dawn - 49,582
God of War - 73,529

I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Man Remastered crosses the 100,000 mark on launch day. It's also worth noting that for each of the 3 releases so far, the number of concurrent players has never dropped below 1,000. Even Horizon as of the moment of me writing this has over 3,500 players right now. And it's now been over 2 years after release. So PlayStation's PC releases have legs to succeed for a long time on the platform.

twintail said:
PotentHerbs said:

Based on the current landscape, I would prioritize strengthening the gaming division through strategic M&A, which would mean increasing the budget for mid term acquisitions. Major targets would be Square Enix and Capcom, ideally one is announced for this fiscal year, while the other is announced for the next fiscal year: 

I'm curious how you'd expect Sony to handle the content from a publisher like SE or Capcom. Do you expect them to go entirely exclusive (where possible), or to take a hybrid approach where certain IP are multiplatform, but the rest of the library remains exclusive?

The only "publisher" they bought so far have been bungie. So I would expect a similar level of freedom. Meaning Final Fantasy (perhaps DQ, but for reasons gave in a thread that is unlikely) and some very big AAA to be 2-4 years PS only and then coming to PC, the other titles would remain multiplats as they wouldn't push console sales and could enjoy extra revenue on other platforms (perhaps they could even be day one on PS+ but not going GP).

Horizon Forbidden West wins Best in Show award, at Siggraph 2022

The game does look outstanding visually so well deserved.