By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why console crossplay will mean nothing in the long run

LudicrousSpeed said:
massimus said:

Sony hijacked it how? Your level doesn’t carry over to other platforms? Does it do that on other platforms? I don’t play fortnite so I have no idea I’m just trying to understand. That’s not really “crossplay” though. That’s more like the cross save between PlayStation and vita. Has Sony ever did this with other platforms?

You can transfer content and progress between PC and mobile via your Epic account. You can also carry it between PC, mobile, Xbone, and Switch. But any account you’ve ever logged onto PSN Fortnite with, that Epic account is now locked down by Sony and won’t work on the other consoles. So someone who owns a PS4 and plays Fortnite and then get a Switch. They try to transfer their Epic account over, they can’t. Someone who has spent $300 on PC buying cosmetics logs onto PS4 Fortnite one time for a promotional skin, their account is now locked to PS4 for consoles. 

This is what the big stink was recently, not crossplay. This is shadier and shittier than saying no thanks to crossplay.

See that bolded part is pretty shitty but it’s not in any of the crap I have read. If they want to have a closed platform then you should have to make a designated PS4 account. Locking your multiplatform account for logging in is bogus, I can understand that point of view. 

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Shiken said:

I have a Switch and a PS4, I still plan on buying a PS5 because of Sony's exclusives.  Did not affect me, won't affect many others as well.  I currently do not have XBL Gold nor PS Plus, yet I can play Fortnite online on PS4.

There are arguments on both sides of the coin.  As I said, Sony would have to drop the ball somewhere else because as it stands, PS and Switch are the best combo for exclusives (especially if you like Japanese games).  Sony has too much going for them to be marginally affected by something that will not even be a factor when the new consoles drop if they keep saying no.

PR will not change anything for MS without someone for the their nextbox to crossplay with.  PR does not crank out quality exclusives.

You know what does?  Japanese dev support and Sony's 1st and 2nd party studios.  To believe anything else is fooling yourself.

I guess you enjoy having you're account locked out on Switch or PS4 if you play Fortnite on one or the other but thats just you.

They need to get the whole account thing sorted no doubt.  Never said I support their decision.  I tell you what I do not support though, having to pay for XBL just to play a free to play game.  I do not play my XBox much, so why would I want to drop the money?  I do not currently have PS+ either, yet I can still play games like Warframe or Fortnite.  MS has their own problems to sort out as well.

I am just not willing to give up games like the next God of War, Horizon 2, Persona 6, and any of Sony's other 1st party IPs in exchange for the lackluster offering that MS has.

As I have said, there are more factors than just crossplay.  And since MS would have no one to crossplay with next gen because Switch will be too far behind, it will not even be a factor because they would be able to offer nothing that the PS5 is not also doing in that regard.  That said, unless sony drops the ball somewhere else, it will have little to no affect on sales of the PS5.  Unless there is a 3rd console for MS to crossplay with, it will no loknger be a factor if Sony still says no.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

massimus said:
KLAMarine said:

It's an issue now after PS4 owners purchased a Switch and tried to access their Fortnite account on the Switch only to find out that Sony has hijacked the account.

It's not only bull that it has happened at all but also cause for concern for any other third party accounts that go anywhere near Sony's network.

Sony hijacked it how? Your level doesn’t carry over to other platforms? Does it do that on other platforms? I don’t play fortnite so I have no idea I’m just trying to understand. That’s not really “crossplay” though. That’s more like the cross save between PlayStation and vita. Has Sony ever did this with other platforms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1N-TTwYIJw

KLXVER said:
sergiodaly said:

i knew i was wasting my words... lost my hope and now i'm sad, i will lower my standards but ok here we go...

"deeeeep breath, counts to 10 slowly, deep breath again" ok... forget the verbal offence... some other F'ing rule... some one from other platform break it, how do we deal with it?

sorry dude, can't put it more clear and simple... if you don't understand this, can't help you any further...

You do the same thing you would do if it wasn't a cross platform game. You report the user to whoever the owner of the platform you play on is and they will tell the other platform owner about it. Im a genius I know. No need to thank me.

really sweet that you believe that will do...

meanwhile in company Y HQ
Tech support 1 - hey, did you saw this? we got complains from X and Z companies about our dear and paying costumer about he misbehaving in multiplatform online gaming...
Tech support 2 - who are the complainers?
TS 1 - i don't know them...
TS 2 - man, you have your hands tied... you have to ban our lovely costumer, who we don't have any problem with...
TS 1 - i'm going to do that just now to protect the people that we don't know and are not our paying costumers...

TS1 and TS2 - ahahahahahahahahahahah NOT!

even inside one platform, many got through the cracks, in a multiplatform online system, it will be a nightmare, so, excuse me, if i don't trust the other companies to enforce punishment on their own, and if i don't want to be a part of it.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

The potential market access has big implications, and I dont think crossplay will bring benefits to consumers, especially console gamers. The 3rd party companies will not put the same effort on games with smaller gamer base and this just leaves the consumers in unequal position.

I still remember the PS3 era when 3rd party games where very poorly implemented ports  for PS3 and the reason was simply the fact that 360 had more installed base due to earlier launch. 

Remmber PS4 and X1 early days, when MS implemented "same visual standard for X1 as PS4 demand"because they had less powerful console. Well market economics won and we see most 3rd parties comeout 900p for X1 and 1080p for PS4.

And then there is of course MS decision to make XBox exclusives available for PC and enabling crossplay between Xbox and PC. This has certainly benefitted PC gamers but the frankly I dont think it has helped the Xbox owners at all. I mean MS essentially went to less exclusives and focused to multiplayer genres. Why would anyone buy the console if you can play it on PC? Lets take an example, Destiny D1 was console exclusive and the gamers were very loyal and stuck withtjhe game to To make it great. And what did the developer do, made it available on PC and put so much resources on this development that the game itself was lousy. And by the this was the reason why D2 had to reboot, so everything that console players had invested had to be left behind. Anyway, all streamers went to PC, the game was superior in PC so face it console gamers, you lost.

Crossplay plays in the hands of 3rd party developers, not console gamers.

a

Around the Network

Nin stock is down 30% over the last couple of months and looks to continue that trend.

SNY stock is up 09% over the last couple of months and looks to be stabilizing.

MS stock is up 05% over the last couple of months and looks to be stabilizing.

While gaming has a greater influence for Nin's stock, the account and cross play debacle doesn't seem to be bothering the shareholders at SNY or MS.

EricHiggin said:

Nin stock is down 30% over the last couple of months and looks to continue that trend.

SNY stock is up 09% over the last couple of months and looks to be stabilizing.

MS stock is up 05% over the last couple of months and looks to be stabilizing.

While gaming has a greater influence for Nin's stock, the account and cross play debacle doesn't seem to be bothering the shareholders at SNY or MS.

Where are you getting these numbers from?

I honestly don't think theres anything anti-consumer about it.

Playstation consumers don't really gain anything from being connected to X1 and SW. It's the ones with the smaller online communities that benefit.

So, without having some sort of advantage for playstation users i don't see why it would even be pro-consumer for Sony to do it. Pro-consumer to rivals customers? Yeah, sure. But why should they care?

I honestly care more about the paywall as you say OP. I have a principle not to pay for online play that is free on PC. So, without the paywall i will actually try the F2P titles and maybe give them some money on PS. On Xbox i never did. Xbox isn't nor ever was more pro-consumer than Sony. We just need to think back about who started malpractices with DLC and season passes and how supportive Microsoft was of it. Also, they themselves created the online play pay wall and must we recall how it was in the unveil of the X1?

So, yeah, those are things that matter to me. Cross play doesn't.

sergiodaly said:
KLXVER said:

You do the same thing you would do if it wasn't a cross platform game. You report the user to whoever the owner of the platform you play on is and they will tell the other platform owner about it. Im a genius I know. No need to thank me.

really sweet that you believe that will do...

meanwhile in company Y HQ
Tech support 1 - hey, did you saw this? we got complains from X and Z companies about our dear and paying costumer about he misbehaving in multiplatform online gaming...
Tech support 2 - who are the complainers?
TS 1 - i don't know them...
TS 2 - man, you have your hands tied... you have to ban our lovely costumer, who we don't have any problem with...
TS 1 - i'm going to do that just now to protect the people that we don't know and are not our paying costumers...

TS1 and TS2 - ahahahahahahahahahahah NOT!

even inside one platform, many got through the cracks, in a multiplatform online system, it will be a nightmare, so, excuse me, if i don't trust the other companies to enforce punishment on their own, and if i don't want to be a part of it.

Well that's up to you. I wouldn't mind a few trolls in order to have a bigger group of people to play with on games that might not do well on the platform I play it on.

Nem said:

I honestly don't think theres anything anti-consumer about it.

Playstation consumers don't really gain anything from being connected to X1 and SW. It's the ones with the smaller online communities that benefit.

So, without having some sort of advantage for playstation users i don't see why it would even be pro-consumer for Sony to do it. Pro-consumer to rivals customers? Yeah, sure. But why should they care?

I honestly care more about the paywall as you say OP. I have a principle not to pay for online play that is free on PC. So, without the paywall i will actually try the F2P titles and maybe give them some money on PS. On Xbox i never did. Xbox isn't nor ever was more pro-consumer than Sony. We just need to think back about who started malpractices with DLC and season passes and how supportive Microsoft was of it. Also, they themselves created the online play pay wall and must we recall how it was in the unveil of the X1?

So, yeah, those are things that matter to me. Cross play doesn't.

They are all companies looking to make the most profit they possibly can. Any "pro-consumer" actions they take are still for their own long-term benefit, and they wouldn't be doing those things if they could get away with not doing them.

We all love videogames and maybe it's good to sometimes tuck that thought away and believe that these companies are catering to us as gamers, but let's not kid ourselves. If you have ever worked for a for-profit company before then it becomes abundantly clear that every single thing they do is for money. No exaggeration. Hard stop. Heck, many of the people working for these companies don't even play videogames. And just because Sony, as a company, makes a decision to do something, doesn't mean that every employee of said company agrees with it.

Sometimes it seems like people can spin any situation into a positive for themselves. If it were the other way around, Sony supporting crossplay and MS against it, I'd bet anything that your opinions would be different. Do you disagree?