By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why console crossplay will mean nothing in the long run

microsoft and nintendo online games are dying fast so they need any online player to keep this game's alive

Last edited by Thisguywhokills - on 07 July 2018

Around the Network
Nem said:

Second point. Not true. There isn't a 1 to 1 representation in games. PS has a lot more exclusives and third parties than the other two. Some games would benefit slightly, but likely these are huge games to be multi-plat and you will never feel a difference when playing on the PS  because it's already highly populated. It would be a bigger advantage to the competition. One of the strong points of the playstation is that it's highly populated. This would erase that competitive advantage. It would be dumb to do that. Also, MS and nintendo aren't doing it for the consumers. They are doing it so Sony drops the competitive advantage.

Again, this is something that MS did in the past and would do again and much worse if they were in the lead now. Honestly, i'm thankful that this is the worst the market leader is willing to do. I cannot fathom the shit show we'd be in if Microsoft still was.

Can't agree with you more microsoft and nintendo have combined half the player base PS4 have

so they are doing this out of desperation nothing more

crosse-play mean something if you have someone to play with in another console 

because I'm on PS4 and everyone i know  I don't care if sony do it or not 

even if they do it let it be optional mean you can choose to play like that or not . Exemple someone from PS4 can activate this and invite people he know from other consoles to play with him alone. sony sayed they will work on this "cross-playing subject" so I hope it will be like this and not open for everyone type of system. 

So in the end the whole PS network will not be open to any random people on PC/xbox/switch

I prefer not to play a match against random people who can be hackers or pc players who have more advantage than me because of mouse and keyboard

but a normal PS4 against PS4 players at least in my eyes is fair like that

Last edited by Thisguywhokills - on 08 July 2018

The only cool with cross play for me as a consumer means I do not have to buy two versions of the game to play with two sets of friends.

SO will take it where I can get it I guess.

IkePoR said:
V-r0cK said:
Question for the cross players: Do you know if you're playing with someone that's on a different console?

I feel that cross play only affects 1% of gamers that has friends that own a different console and want to play together, but chances are, your friends have the same system as you and there's never a shortage of players online when you play. So why the big need of cross play? Just cause people are saying so?

I personally want Sony to jump on cross play, but only for the sake of getting the complainers to stop. Because the bottomline is that with or without cross play, it has never affected my gaming experience (and likely hasnt affected any of yours).

Most of the time friends have the same console... so that they can play together.  A Sony guy might have found himself buying an Xbox One purely to play Call of Duty with his friends.  The whole point of cross play is to eliminate that customer inconvenience.

Like we both said, most of the time friends have the same consoles.  So why make this issue something major when it's really nothing more than a very very minor customer inconvenience. 

But people act as if not having cross play will destroy Sony's reputation (but then again we all know there are many that are looking for any sliver of negativity to bring Sony down just cause).

I remember when people went crazy when Sony stopped adding backwards compatibility but Sony stuck its foot down and in the end that never stopped Sony from dominating.  I'm sure this issue will pass by in time because we all know at the end of the day cross play doesn't affect how we game at all.

Around the Network
Nem said:
KLAMarine said:

"I honestly don't think theres anything anti-consumer about it."

>If the consumer is asking for it and it's not implemented, I consider it anti-consumer. It becomes a bigger deal when Sony's competitors are moving forward with crossplay. Even some third party devs are asking for it since it imposes less restrictions on those who play their game.

"Playstation consumers don't really gain anything from being connected to X1 and SW. It's the ones with the smaller online communities that benefit.

So, without having some sort of advantage for playstation users i don't see why it would even be pro-consumer for Sony to do it. Pro-consumer to rivals customers? Yeah, sure. But why should they care?"

>PS owners do stand to benefit: instead of only having 80 million other potential players to play with, they can have an additional 54 million potential players to play with via crossplay for a total of 134 million potential players.

"Xbox isn't nor ever was more pro-consumer than Sony."

>XBox didn't hijack anyone's Fortnite account last I checked.

"We just need to think back about who started malpractices with DLC and season passes and how supportive Microsoft was of it. Also, they themselves created the online play pay wall and must we recall how it was in the unveil of the X1?"

>I appreciate the history lesson but is this supposed to absolve Sony of any of their own current faulty policies?

I'm not asking for it. Some people are. Majority though? Nah.

Who's counting?

And it's not just players but some third party devs who seek it too.

Nem said:

Second point. Not true. There isn't a 1 to 1 representation in games. PS has a lot more exclusives and third parties than the other two. Some games would benefit slightly, but likely these are huge games to be multi-plat and you will never feel a difference when playing on the PS  because it's already highly populated. It would be a bigger advantage to the competition. One of the strong points of the playstation is that it's highly populated. This would erase that competitive advantage. It would be dumb to do that.

Your logic cuts both ways here: PS is highly populated but PS, like you said, has more exclusives and third parties than the other two so the high PS population will also be diluted more heavily.

This is why just having a high population on one platform doesn't eliminate the positive effect that, as an example, would come from bringing together all Fortnite players regardless of platform.

Nem said:

Also, MS and nintendo aren't doing it for the consumers. They are doing it so Sony drops the competitive advantage.

I don't care why MS, Nintendo, or Sony do what they do. I just care that what they do benefits consumers. Sony's been the most anti-consumer of the three as of late.

Nem said:

Again, this is something that MS did in the past and would do again and much worse if they were in the lead now. Honestly, i'm thankful that this is the worst the market leader is willing to do. I cannot fathom the shit show we'd be in if Microsoft still was.

I operate off of what is, not what might have been.

Passivity won't convince Sony to release people's Fortnite accounts from captivity.

Thisguywhokills said:

microsoft and nintendo online games are dying fast so they need any online player to keep this game's alive

What online games are dying fast? How do you know?

V-r0cK said:
IkePoR said:

Most of the time friends have the same console... so that they can play together.  A Sony guy might have found himself buying an Xbox One purely to play Call of Duty with his friends.  The whole point of cross play is to eliminate that customer inconvenience.

Like we both said, most of the time friends have the same consoles.  So why make this issue something major when it's really nothing more than a very very minor customer inconvenience.

For some, this is a major issue.

V-r0cK said:

But people act as if not having cross play will destroy Sony's reputation (but then again we all know there are many that are looking for any sliver of negativity to bring Sony down just cause).

Topics and threads like these do harm Sony's reputation and Sony has no one but themselves to blame.

V-r0cK said:

I remember when people went crazy when Sony stopped adding backwards compatibility but Sony stuck its foot down and in the end that never stopped Sony from dominating.

Sony was lucky Microsoft and Nintendo blundered so heavily early on this generation. Sony should tread lightly for they are the ones most capable of harming themselves by giving Microsoft and Nintendo ammunition.

And it's not just some players, Microsoft, or Nintendo but also third party developers who want crossplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKJ7CXotsX8

V-r0cK said:

I'm sure this issue will pass by in time because we all know at the end of the day cross play doesn't affect how we game at all.

No, some are affected and they let their grievances be known...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtnG2mpE7Nk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQIFYq-oouE

Geez, crossplay is the most practical thing for developers. They don't need to maintain servers 3 different times for 3 different platforms, all platforms will be maintained at a more efficient level meaning no more server failures and being kicked out of games and no more server launch issues anymore. I still remember COD WW2 HQ on Xbox working a whole 2 weeks after PS4's HQ. No more stagger fixes.

It beats spending extra money, time and resources and it's a lot more efficient in creating a very stable multiplayer ecosystem. Sony aren't just being anti-consumer but also anti-developer.

V-r0cK said:
IkePoR said:

I remember when people went crazy when Sony stopped adding backwards compatibility but Sony stuck its foot down and in the end that never stopped Sony from dominating.  I'm sure this issue will pass by in time because we all know at the end of the day cross play doesn't affect how we game at all.

It's possible I wasn't clear in my counter point.  Friends tend to buy the same consoles in order to play with each other.  Again, a Sony fan will buy an Xbox because he can't play with his friends otherwise.  This is a serious inconvenience.  

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

KLAMarine said:
EricHiggin said:

Stock charts.

Which ones?

Any that exist on the internet. Google Finance, Yahoo Finance, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1wLO3r10wk

Here's ReviewTechUSA talking about Nin's stock. He says 34% drop but he's talking about a longer span of time.

Cobretti2 said:
The only cool with cross play for me as a consumer means I do not have to buy two versions of the game to play with two sets of friends.

If PS agree's to cross play it does not automatically mean all third party games become cross play. Every single pub and dev will have to decide if they want to allow that for all their games, just some, or none. Based on how many companies exist, it's been surprisingly quiet in terms of how many are speaking up about how badly they want cross play since everyone and their pet cat wants it, apparently.

If all the yelling and screaming does eventually cause PS to fold by some chance, everyone is going to have to continue this, just instead of having one company to go after, your going to have so many you won't have enough time in a day to bother even a small fraction of them. Companies like EA or Activision will be able to simply ignore any complaints if they want and will completely get away with it, because they already are known to be douche bags and yet their games still sell just fine.

EricHiggin said:
KLAMarine said:

Which ones?

Any that exist on the internet. Google Finance, Yahoo Finance, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1wLO3r10wk

Here's ReviewTechUSA talking about Nin's stock. He says 34% drop but he's talking about a longer span of time.

Cobretti2 said:

If PS agree's to cross play it does not automatically mean all third party games become cross play. Every single pub and dev will have to decide if they want to allow that for all their games, just some, or none. Based on how many companies exist, it's been surprisingly quiet in terms of how many are speaking up about how badly they want cross play since everyone and their pet cat wants it, apparently.

If all the yelling and screaming does eventually cause PS to fold by some chance, everyone is going to have to continue this, just instead of having one company to go after, your going to have so many you won't have enough time in a day to bother even a small fraction of them. Companies like EA or Activision will be able to simply ignore any complaints if they want and will completely get away with it, because they already are known to be douche bags and yet their games still sell just fine.

Yep. Even smaller companies like the now closed Boss Key Productions whose heads, like CliffyB, thought that cross-play was "stupid". Granted, he was talking about cross-play between PC and consoles but he's an example of what consumers are going to have to deal with even after this battle. Sony is just an easy target right now because they're the only first-party company saying no to it. I still think it will eventually happen across the board, but it's not going to be as simple as getting Sony to agree to it as many people seem to think.