By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why console crossplay will mean nothing in the long run

Spike0503 said:

As opposed to the millions of players on Xbox without a gold account not being able to play a F2P game?. I don't find it very funny at all.

What I find funny is it being brought up in counterpoint to Sony not following along with crossplay. in fact I find it funny how we're getting a little rally party here on the side of Sony vs MS, almost like we're back in 2013/14 all over again. Can't say I'm surprised. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
I’m not going to bother reading the 100+ replies, but if crossplay were as irrelevant as OP makes it out to be, Sony wouldn’t be blocking it. It’s just that simple.

Also regarding blocking out free play versus requiring gold, they’re both shitty, but then again Sony has PS+ required for multiplayer, so if you’re saying Microsoft has this real crappy anti-consumer policy, you’re also saying Sony has a real crappy anti-consumer policy with PS+, MS just takes it one step further.

Of course, I see people are comparing Gold for F2P titles to Sony hijacking Fortnite accounts.... they aren’t comparable. One is a questionable policy, the other is pure corporate greed to prevent you from spending money outside of PSN.

Um, that's exactly what the OP is saying though, that Sony is blocking it because they don't want to lose sales by allowing it.

LudicrousSpeed said:
I’m not going to bother reading the 100+ replies, but if crossplay were as irrelevant as OP makes it out to be, Sony wouldn’t be blocking it. It’s just that simple.

Also regarding blocking out free play versus requiring gold, they’re both shitty, but then again Sony has PS+ required for multiplayer, so if you’re saying Microsoft has this real crappy anti-consumer policy, you’re also saying Sony has a real crappy anti-consumer policy with PS+, MS just takes it one step further.

Of course, I see people are comparing Gold for F2P titles to Sony hijacking Fortnite accounts.... they aren’t comparable. One is a questionable policy, the other is pure corporate greed to prevent you from spending money outside of PSN.

Why is no one losing their shit over the fact that to gain access to said "free games" and "free content" when you sub to either, you're still paying to gain access to these on both. That "free discount" isn't actually free, because you need to pay the sub fee in order to gain access to it. Me literally getting a game on a free offer on Steam during a brief period of time is actually free, because I'm not paying to sub to Steam let alone receive any form of discount either. Same goes for GMG.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

*snif snif* this smells like damagecontrol orrrr someone got their paycheck

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

LudicrousSpeed said:

No one said it, "is not a big deal."

I said that if Sony still says no when next gen consoles hit, MS would have no advantage because Nintendo would no longer be a factor due to it being a far greater power gap.  So you are left with...

PS5+PC+mobile

Vs

X2+PC+mobile

MS would have no advantage and it would have no effect on sales of these newer consoles.  Without a 3rd console with comparible power for MS to cross play with, they have nothing to offer.  So this theory I see floating around saying that when the newer consoles are on equal footing at the start of the gen people will jump to XBox, well it is BS because things will be irrelevant at that time.

It will not affect PS4 sales due to them already having a commanding lead over the competition.  People will ask for it and complain sure, but nothing will change aside from Sony deciding to maybe "be nice" and give it to us.

I am for crossplay, do not get it twisted.  I am just stating the reality of the situation.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
kirby007 said:

What damage control?  I never said they were right.  Try reading before sarcastic accusation.

Shiken said:
kirby007 said:

What damage control?  I never said they were right.  Try reading before sarcastic accusation.

I didnt mean you, but do wonder why you feel that it was.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Shiken said:

I didnt mean you, but do wonder why you feel that it was.

Because the misunderstanding has already been directed at me a few times.

But I agree.  While I believe that nothing will come from this whole crossplay fiasco without a 3rd console for MS to crossplay with, I also feel that anyone who defends Sony's actions regarding the matter is just following blindly for whatever reason.

Chazore said:

What I find funny is it being brought up in counterpoint to Sony not following along with crossplay. in fact I find it funny how we're getting a little rally party here on the side of Sony vs MS, almost like we're back in 2013/14 all over again. Can't say I'm surprised. 

I think it's a valid comparison. Both are anti-consumer and both are online multiplayer-related. I can only speak for myself but I don't excuse Sony for not letting crossplay happen. However, I think it's completely valid to compare it, as a negative, to Microsoft's Gold requirement for F2P games. I would almost say Microsoft is worse, since not letting you play the game for free at all beats not having a larger playerbase, but the whole Fortnite account "infection" boggles my mind as to how bad of an idea it is.

Both companies can be pretty bad and stupid at times. That's my view.

I just don’t get the whole conversation. You read articles that paint Sony as a villain, they trash them for not accepting a crossplay platform as standard and call it anti-consumer. As a consumer of the PlayStation 4, I don’t give a crap if I can play with other platforms. In fact, when I play on PlayStation i’m pretty sure I’m playing against people with some form of PS4 controller. I have never had trouble finding a host in MP on the PlayStation unless the service was down. Then I’d go play on Xbox live.. I don’t see what the issue of being a closed platform is. Not the way these people rant and rave about it. Like a bunch of communists lol. NO BORDERS NO NATIONS! NO BORDERS, NO NATIONS! Piss off lol.