By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Negative employee reviews suggest Retro Studios could be in serious trouble

OdinHades said:
JRPGfan said:

They can.... but whos to say the quality in games would stay as high?
Would you want some random studio makeing DKC games?

Why the hell not? 20 years ago people would have said that no one but Rare should make a DKC game. Turns out it works perfectly ok without Rare. So I'm willing to give another Studio a chance.

The difference being that the DKC games Rare did in 1994 were state of the art platformers with two of them being the top selling games of the year, and the third being a top 5 game for the year. DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze were nowhere near state of the art games or top 5 selling of the year, leave alone 1st.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I mean they've never put out a bad game before, so as long as they do eventually manage to get out whatever they're working on now and it continues the same level of quality, I don't see them not being able to work through whatever troubles they're going through now.

Jumpin said:
OdinHades said:

Why the hell not? 20 years ago people would have said that no one but Rare should make a DKC game. Turns out it works perfectly ok without Rare. So I'm willing to give another Studio a chance.

The difference being that the DKC games Rare did in 1994 were state of the art platformers with two of them being the top selling games of the year, and the third being a top 5 game for the year. DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze were nowhere near state of the art games or top 5 selling of the year, leave alone 1st.

That's not Retro's fault. Metroid Prime was state of the art for its time, because it was on the Gamecube, which was the better console, technology wise. Retro's DKC games were on the Wii and Wii U, so of course they weren't state of the art. Rare's DKC titles were state of the art because the Super Nintendo was the best system technology wise at the time. Not a fair comparison. All of Retro's games were high quality, game design wise.

Jumpin said:
OdinHades said:

Returns is the second best selling DK game of all time though while TF was just unfortunate to be on Wii U, even if we disregard TF you can't use that argument against Returns because the era Returns sold has far bigger heavy hitters each year than what the original trilogy dealt with as Returns is not only dealing with the likes of COD and so on in a far more mainstream industry but 2010 was also one of the best years in gaming history for releases.

that explains why the silence.

Switch!!!

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I'm honestly just sick of hearing rumors about the studio. At this point, let's just let the work speak for itself. Wait for valid information. If nothing comes by the end of the year, yeah ... there's probably something wrong.

Wyrdness said:
Jumpin said:

Returns is the second best selling DK game of all time though while TF was just unfortunate to be on Wii U, even if we disregard TF you can't use that argument against Returns because the era Returns sold has far bigger heavy hitters each year than what the original trilogy dealt with as Returns is not only dealing with the likes of COD and so on in a far more mainstream industry but 2010 was also one of the best years in gaming history for releases.

Actually, the statement is valid because it's factually what happened.

DKC and DKC2 topped the sales charts at #1 for the year, but DKC Returns didn't make top 20. Those are the facts.
The reason being, Donkey Kong Country was a silky smooth graphically mind blowing game featuring 24-bit colour on a 16-bit console. It was state of the art, the most exciting game of 1994, and the sequel was the most exciting game of 1995, and while DKC3 didn't fare as well in 1996 due to sales picking up on the later generation of consoles, it was still one of the most exciting games of the year.

All you're arguing is that the facts aren't fair because Donkey Kong Country Returns was not as exciting in 2010 as the DKC trilogy was in 94-96. That's my point. DKC Returns DIDN'T advance with the rest of the industry into a worthy successor for the DKC series; if it were, it would have been more exciting and better than CoDs and GTAs, because that's the relative level the original DKC trilogy was at in its own time.

In 1994, Donkey Kong Country was the second most exciting release in the history of video gaming, only after Super Mario Bros. 3 - which released 3.5 years earlier. One of the big things that Sonic had over the Mario games in the early 90's was how smoothly you could run and jump through the levels at high speeds - it felt really good - and DKC did it even better than Sonic; and consequently demolished Sonic 3 on the sales charts. But not only was DKC incredibly designed, but the graphics were mind-blowing; it was enough to take peoples' attention away from the hype of the launch of the Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation.

We didn't get DKC's Super Mario Galaxy/Breath of the Wild, instead we got its New Super Mario Bros/Phantom Hourglass.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

For me Retro means nothing since Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime is "retro" gaming. Released 15 years ago. It's so old.

Retro is a has-been. I don't get why so many care about Retro.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Jumpin said:
Wyrdness said:

Actually, the statement is valid because it's factually what happened.

DKC and DKC2 topped the sales charts at #1 for the year, but DKC Returns didn't make top 20. Those are the facts.
The reason being, Donkey Kong Country was a silky smooth graphically mind blowing game featuring 24-bit colour on a 16-bit console. It was state of the art, the most exciting game of 1994, and the sequel was the most exciting game of 1995, and while DKC3 didn't fare as well in 1996 due to sales picking up on the later generation of consoles, it was still one of the most exciting games of the year.

All you're arguing is that the facts aren't fair because Donkey Kong Country Returns was not as exciting in 2010 as the DKC trilogy was in 94-96. That's my point. DKC Returns DIDN'T advance with the rest of the industry into a worthy successor for the DKC series; if it were, it would have been more exciting and better than CoDs and GTAs, because that's the relative level the original DKC trilogy was at in its own time.

In 1994, Donkey Kong Country was the second most exciting release in the history of video gaming, only after Super Mario Bros. 3 - which released 3.5 years earlier. One of the big things that Sonic had over the Mario games in the early 90's was how smoothly you could run and jump through the levels at high speeds - it felt really good - and DKC did it even better than Sonic; and consequently demolished Sonic 3 on the sales charts. But not only was DKC incredibly designed, but the graphics were mind-blowing; it was enough to take peoples' attention away from the hype of the launch of the Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation.

We didn't get DKC's Super Mario Galaxy/Breath of the Wild, instead we got its New Super Mario Bros/Phantom Hourglass.

They're moot points though because Returns is a different era for a start you're comparing the 2D era to the 3D era where 2D's upfront selling power is vastly reduced as the industry operates on a different dynamic to back this is why the argument is flawed. 2D games when Returns was released are mostly filler titles in today's industry no matter how good they are only certain fighting games tend to buck this trend in SF and Smash, the original DKC trilogy were ground breaking because they were 2D games built for the 2D era while Returns and TF are 2D platformer games long into the 3D era they were never going to generate the same buzz no matter how they turned out TF is even considered by many to be better than any other 2D platformer but still had a subdued reception on reveal because everyone wanted Prime a 3D game as many don't consider 2D games ambitious no matter how much work goes into them.

To bring up sales in a selected period as a way to push your point as result isn't really putting forward a balanced argument because one is releasing in a year where the are games like Red Dead Redemption, COD, AC, FF, KH as well as the blue ocean titles (Wii Fit plus etc...) the other is only contending with games that are on the same playing field and this is highlighted in your own point when you say the third game in the original Trilogy didn't do as well because of the next gen platforms as that's when the 3D jump occured and also I disagree it wasn't one of the most exciting games of the year in the way you're trying to put it was heavily overshadowed in 96, Mario 64, FFVII, Resident Evil, Crash Bandicoot, Pilot Wings, Duke Nukem 3d etc... Even on the non 3d front the most exciting game that year was Pokemon. Another factor you don't take into account the were only two major competitive hardware platforms back with DKC compared to 3 plus PC now.

This is why total sales is more reflective of reception as Returns still became the second biggest seller in the franchise.

i hope this gets better and something good comes out because looking at the lineup, god damn. not in a good way.

I would be all for a new dk not a port.