By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ys VIII is unplayable for me on the switch.

xl-klaudkil said:
Medisti said:
The grass "flicker" is incredibly distracting, especially docked. But I put in 10 hours and hoo boy, that gameplay has me hooked. I'll probably end up 100 hours or more in this.

Thats what i ment yea that gras/tree etc flickering you see.

100hours will prob be to much dont know how much content there is compared to the other ys games but i will def play this a lot!

Awesome game.

I'm pretty good at ignoring that stuff, but it's jarring at first even for me. I can look past it because the game seems fun, but I don't fault you for not being able to. It's very obnoxious.

Around the Network

I can't say I'm having the exact same experience but it obviously isn't as polished as the PS4 version. But Ys VIII in general doesn't perform that well on any platform you play it on, except for the PS4 Pro. I played it first on PS4 and still experienced frame drops, especially in the Camp. And generally, the game isn't much of a looker. Even on PS4, you wouldn't be wrong if you said it looked like a late PS2 game or PS3 game.

After seeing games like Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 ( Which are WII U GAMES), and even games like Resident Evil Revelations 2, I can say that this isn't representative of what the Switch is capable of, especially for a anime style like this. The game has loading screens everywhere and they can't manage a smooth framerate? It's not like there's a ton of enemies on the field at once or anything. I just think overall the game is poorly optimized and that has to do with Nihon Falcom's inexperience with HD development.

Even when Ys VIII was announced on PS4 I was underwhelmed by the Visuals, The game's strong point is not its visuals. I mean, take a look at Monolith Soft's work vs. Falcoms. It looks okay at times but not representative of the PS4 or Switch's power. I don't know if this is a custom engine, but I'd hope that Falcom would explore using an engine that one ups their graphical knowhow because Ys 3d titles in general are not pretty games by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 01 July 2018

It’s also unplayable on PS4. I tried it and hated so much. Aside from looking like tripe it plays like they just shook it up in a sack, poured it out on the ground, and slapped the results of that action onto a a disc.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Xxain said:
It looks no better on the PS4. Ys is a mindless arcade action RPG and that is a good thing. If you are playing it for anthing else then you better get your money back.

Looks a lot better on ps4, noo flickering and low quality shadows,draw distance is better and ofc 60fps

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Hopefully this latest ef up signals the end of Falcom working with NIS. They have dropped the ball with this game not once, not twice, but THREE times. They botched the localization, they bungled the PC port, and now they've dropped the ball on the Switch port. Nis's handling of Ys VIII has been a freaking joke. Anyone else, Falcom. Work with ANYONE ELSE.

Around the Network

Switch is for easy transition from handheld to TV.

PS4 for TV only.

YsVIII is great on Switch, and the best portable verion available. Having the option to play portably and docked on one purchase is a HUGE plus and more than justified the back scale.

But seriously, I thought you knew that. Bottom line, great port, great fit on Switch with good visuals and performance, but the PS4 is superior for TV only play.

Sorry you have no right to complain on this one, you made your own choice in the matter knowing full well the difference between a hybrid and a console. It is not the game's fault or the Switch's fault. Its yours.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I feel ya. I've already been burned twice with 3rd parties on the Switch. One was WWE 2K18, people said it plays terrible, but I have it a go, because a lot of times when people talk about bad game performance, I can live with it. This was a case where it is so bad, it is laughable. The second was Doom, which people were saying was a great port. I already had Doom on PS4, but wanted to see what a good port on Switch was like. At the end of the day I am better off buying on PS4, and Remote Playing to the Vita for my handheld needs.

Someone recently recommended Ys VIII to me, and I actually grabbed the PS Vita version, because I am going to be traveling quite a bit without a network available. I am 5 hours in, and it is running quite well on the Vita.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
I feel ya. I've already been burned twice with 3rd parties on the Switch. One was WWE 2K18, people said it plays terrible, but I have it a go, because a lot of times when people talk about bad game performance, I can live with it. This was a case where it is so bad, it is laughable. The second was Doom, which people were saying was a great port. I already had Doom on PS4, but wanted to see what a good port on Switch was like. At the end of the day I am better off buying on PS4, and Remote Playing to the Vita for my handheld needs.

Someone recently recommended Ys VIII to me, and I actually grabbed the PS Vita version, because I am going to be traveling quite a bit without a network available. I am 5 hours in, and it is running quite well on the Vita.

But here's the thing...if you are looking for a portable experience the Switch version runs and looks better than the Vita version in handheld mode (higher resolution, similar frame rate, better draw distance better textures, etc). Thus, I do not really understand your comment here, because you are saying that you are happy with the Vita version, but that you would steer clear of the Switch versions of this and other third-party games (which essentially runs better in portable mode than Vita). Mind you I am not saying the Vita version is bad or anything, it is an extremely competent version, but I do not see how one can recommend the Vita version for portable gameplay while dismissing the Switch version for its technical competence (especially as it holds up better in that regard compared to Vita.)

In addition, handhelds are designed to be taken out and about, unless you strictly want to play in your house on a handheld (which is a legitimate use case for some), I don't see how remote play can be a practical replacement to a portable version if you want to play on the go (this is exhibited by your very comment where you ended up getting the game on the Vita because you are travelling away from your home).

That goes for the OP as well. Of course if you want to play only on stationary system then these multi-plats would be best enjoyed on another device. To put things simply, if you have a Switch and PS4/Xbox One/PC and you do not care for portability then why would even get the game on the Switch, in a case where portability is not important you would be better off with any of the other version (in such a case the Switch would only be good for exclusives). However, if you want a portable experience then recommending the PS4 version (or any other non-portable version) of a multi-plat game is really illogical. Hence why I don't see the OPs point in saying there is no reason to buy the Switch version of a multiplat over the PS4 version, well the Switch version (and Vita version as well) offers a portability that cannot be offered by the PS4.

Last edited by nemo37 - on 01 July 2018

Switch will be rubbish for ports. Only core Nintendo games will be any good. When will Nintendo 4elease a console to rival the other 2

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Nuvendil said:
Hopefully this latest ef up signals the end of Falcom working with NIS. They have dropped the ball with this game not once, not twice, but THREE times. They botched the localization, they bungled the PC port, and now they've dropped the ball on the Switch port. Nis's handling of Ys VIII has been a freaking joke. Anyone else, Falcom. Work with ANYONE ELSE.

And the thing is the game itself is very good. I want my money to go to Falcom (yes I know that technically, the developer gets the money from shipments, not sold through units), but buying the NA version means that I'm also sending part of my money to the publisher, NISA, which they definitely do not deserve.