By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ys VIII is unplayable for me on the switch.

Loading times and framerate are the two biggest concerns I would have when deciding between Switch and PS4. I have Ys on PS4, but I have Crash on Switch. I played Crash on PS4 when it first came out (I had rented it), and I don't remember how the load times were, but on the Switch, it loads very quickly. I'm curious if the Switch version loads quicker because it is on a game card instead of a disc. Also, when it comes to portable mode, some developers don't take the time to re-make assets, or reconfigure existing assets for a smaller screen's resolution, but the Crash team did a good job here. When playing in handheld mode, the UI elements display properly, taking up a larger portion of the screen as they retain their pixel count. Thus, it looks great in handheld mode. An example of a game that I felt was done poorly in handheld mode is Stardew Valley, where the game appears to show the same area that was projected on the TV, but just shrunken down to the Switch screen's resolution. Thus, everything is slightly blurry.

Around the Network

It does have a lot of problems. The game has soft-locked for me twice, the resolution goes all over the place, frame rate is a bit unstable and it struggles after you reach certain areas (but it's still on an acceptable level), there's a weird slowdown that happens each time you enter areas, aliasing is very pronounced and the shadows are terrible.

It's a bad port, but the game is really, really good. Can only imagine how would it feel to play it on PS4, where it runs at 60FPS and there's AA implemented.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

nemo37 said:

But here's the thing...if you are looking for a portable experience the Switch version runs and looks better than the Vita version in handheld mode (higher resolution, similar frame rate, better draw distance better textures, etc). Thus, I do not really understand your comment here, because you are saying that you are happy with the Vita version, but that you would steer clear of the Switch versions of this and other third-party games (which essentially runs better in portable mode than Vita). Mind you I am not saying the Vita version is bad or anything, it is an extremely competent version, but I do not see how one can recommend the Vita version for portable gameplay while dismissing the Switch version for its technical competence (especially as it holds up better in that regard compared to Vita.)

In addition, handhelds are designed to be taken out and about, unless you strictly want to play in your house on a handheld (which is a legitimate use case for some), I don't see how remote play can be a practical replacement to a portable version if you want to play on the go (this is exhibited by your very comment where you ended up getting the game on the Vita because you are travelling away from your home).

That goes for the OP as well. Of course if you want to play only on stationary system then these multi-plats would be best enjoyed on another device. To put things simply, if you have a Switch and PS4/Xbox One/PC and you do not care for portability then why would even get the game on the Switch, in a case where portability is not important you would be better off with any of the other version (in such a case the Switch would only be good for exclusives). However, if you want a portable experience then recommending the PS4 version (or any other non-portable version) of a multi-plat game is really illogical. Hence why I don't see the OPs point in saying there is no reason to buy the Switch version of a multiplat over the PS4 version, well the Switch version (and Vita version as well) offers a portability that cannot be offered by the PS4.

The problem with the Switch for the traveling I am doing is the size and the battery life, along with some of the other limitations. I can use my Vita to play Ys VIII, and I can also listen to music, and watch videos I have stored on it. It will fit in my pocket along with my flip phone while I am out on a hike, and I can tether it if I need to check somehing on the web real quick. If my travels were taking me to a hotel I would have got the PS4 version, because I can play it via Remote Play on either the Vita or the PSTV. Basically, for my life style, the Switch just is not the best fit for a game I can get on PlayStation, or Xbox. Thus I would recommend PS4, Vita, and Xbox over Switch any time the option is available. 

As for Remote Play and portability, it really comes down to where you live. In the Puget Sound, I constatly have a great connection available, so I never have any issues with remote play. When I go to Hotel's, I very rarley have issues with Remote Play. The resulting expereince is better than I can get on the Switch, plus it allows me to continue to build up my trophies, and stay connected with friends and family on PSN.

The Switch is great for home and mobile play if it is your only option, but if you have choices, at least for me, their is very little reason to get the Switch version over the Vita, PS4, or XBO versions.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
nemo37 said:

But here's the thing...if you are looking for a portable experience the Switch version runs and looks better than the Vita version in handheld mode (higher resolution, similar frame rate, better draw distance better textures, etc). Thus, I do not really understand your comment here, because you are saying that you are happy with the Vita version, but that you would steer clear of the Switch versions of this and other third-party games (which essentially runs better in portable mode than Vita). Mind you I am not saying the Vita version is bad or anything, it is an extremely competent version, but I do not see how one can recommend the Vita version for portable gameplay while dismissing the Switch version for its technical competence (especially as it holds up better in that regard compared to Vita.)

In addition, handhelds are designed to be taken out and about, unless you strictly want to play in your house on a handheld (which is a legitimate use case for some), I don't see how remote play can be a practical replacement to a portable version if you want to play on the go (this is exhibited by your very comment where you ended up getting the game on the Vita because you are travelling away from your home).

That goes for the OP as well. Of course if you want to play only on stationary system then these multi-plats would be best enjoyed on another device. To put things simply, if you have a Switch and PS4/Xbox One/PC and you do not care for portability then why would even get the game on the Switch, in a case where portability is not important you would be better off with any of the other version (in such a case the Switch would only be good for exclusives). However, if you want a portable experience then recommending the PS4 version (or any other non-portable version) of a multi-plat game is really illogical. Hence why I don't see the OPs point in saying there is no reason to buy the Switch version of a multiplat over the PS4 version, well the Switch version (and Vita version as well) offers a portability that cannot be offered by the PS4.

The problem with the Switch for the traveling I am doing is the size and the battery life, along with some of the other limitations. I can use my Vita to play Ys VIII, and I can also listen to music, and watch videos I have stored on it. It will fit in my pocket along with my flip phone while I am out on a hike, and I can tether it if I need to check somehing on the web real quick. If my travels were taking me to a hotel I would have got the PS4 version, because I can play it via Remote Play on either the Vita or the PSTV. Basically, for my life style, the Switch just is not the best fit for a game I can get on PlayStation, or Xbox. Thus I would recommend PS4, Vita, and Xbox over Switch any time the option is available. 

As for Remote Play and portability, it really comes down to where you live. In the Puget Sound, I constatly have a great connection available, so I never have any issues with remote play. When I go to Hotel's, I very rarley have issues with Remote Play. The resulting expereince is better than I can get on the Switch, plus it allows me to continue to build up my trophies, and stay connected with friends and family on PSN.

The Switch is great for home and mobile play if it is your only option, but if you have choices, at least for me, their is very little reason to get the Switch version over the Vita, PS4, or XBO versions.

Fair enough I guess. Personally speaking, I have the Switch, Vita, 3DS, PS4, XONE, and a gaming PC and personally I usually go for the Switch version. I do not have time to game on stationary systems much anymore, and since none of my portables comfortably fit in my pocket I always carry them around in bags hence why I am not really impacted by the Switch's larger size compared to the Vita or 3DS and so I would rather get the performance benefits over those two systems, when it is possible like in games such as YS VIII. I can see the superior media capabilities of the Vita being attractive (it was one reason why I picked up my Vita all the way back in 2013 and a PSP before that), but for me personally smartphones have taken over that particular role. Although to this day I am still unsure as to why Sony and Nintendo do not further expand the capabilities of their portables like Vita and particularly Switch (since Nintendo is hesitant to build in any non-gaming functions, while the Vita has streaming video services along with local media playback and a browser) so that they can compete with smart devices. We have come to the point, where these portable gaming systems and smartphones/tablets pretty much have the same hardware, I don't see why Sony and Nintendo want to isolate these devices when there is so much more potential for them to reach wider audiences by just expanding the software capabilities of these systems.

Skeeuk said:
Switch will be rubbish for ports. Only core Nintendo games will be any good. When will Nintendo 4elease a console to rival the other 2

It is still great to have a system like the Switch around for portable gamers such as myself along with these games, even if the ports do not quite match up to the others (which would be quite difficult for a portable system to do). I mean for those that do not want portability they usually have three (in this case two: a PC and PS4 version) versions of the game to choose from.

Around the Network
nemo37 said:

Fair enough I guess. Personally speaking, I have the Switch, Vita, 3DS, PS4, XONE, and a gaming PC and personally I usually go for the Switch version. I do not have time to game on stationary systems much anymore, and since none of my portables comfortably fit in my pocket I always carry them around in bags hence why I am not really impacted by the Switch's larger size compared to the Vita or 3DS and so I would rather get the performance benefits over those two systems, when it is possible like in games such as YS VIII. I can see the superior media capabilities of the Vita being attractive (it was one reason why I picked up my Vita all the way back in 2013 and a PSP before that), but for me personally smartphones have taken over that particular role. Although to this day I am still unsure as to why Sony and Nintendo do not further expand the capabilities of their portables like Vita and particularly Switch (since Nintendo is hesitant to build in any non-gaming functions, while the Vita has streaming video services along with local media playback and a browser) so that they can compete with smart devices. We have come to the point, where these portable gaming systems and smartphones/tablets pretty much have the same hardware, I don't see why Sony and Nintendo want to isolate these devices when there is so much more potential for them to reach wider audiences by just expanding the software capabilities of these systems.

I couldn't agree with you more. If Switch had 4G, Calling, Texting, Bluetooth, and Media Capabilities. I would have bought the Switch version, threw the Switch into my Hiking bag, and Paired my Bluetooth devices to it. The Vita and the Flip Phone would be sitting at home. Nothing better than getting everything I need with one device. 

As for Smartphones, I have refused to go to the dark side of Android and iOS. I used the Vita as a phone until April of last year when Sony completely cut it off. I picked up a 4G Flip Phone, and continue to hope that Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony will offer a Mobile gaming platform that I can support. It reall bugs me that with every passing day Apple and Google make iOS and Android more and more viable as gaming devices while Sony and Nintendo just let their platforms die. At this point I would even be willing to jump on board with Android or iOS if they ever put out a Phone with a Vita/Switch like form factor. It sucks that Sony and Nintendo deliver the Content and Form Factor I want, and Apple and Google have the Ecosystems and Hardware I want. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I think that the reason for Ys VIII running this badly on the Switch is less about the Switch, and more about NIS America. Have you seen their PC port of Ys VIII? It's laughably bad, and several patches of fixes haven't even gotten close to making it a good port.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Guess I'll get a PS4 copy then.

TheWPCTraveler said:
I think that the reason for Ys VIII running this badly on the Switch is less about the Switch, and more about NIS America. Have you seen their PC port of Ys VIII? It's laughably bad, and several patches of fixes haven't even gotten close to making it a good port.

Bingo.  This game, on a technical level, is an early PS3 game at best on PS4.  Honestly, no reason this shouldn't hit 60fps on Switch with minimal if any compromise.  And with the framerate halved it should a) be locked and b) be the PS4 version full stop at 1080p.  The current state of Ys should leave Falcom livid.

xl-klaudkil said:
routsounmanman said:

OK, why on earth would you pick the Switch version if you play 95% on the TV, at home? It makes no sense. In your case, it would be cheaper, have slightly better visuals and 60fps. This one's on you.

Because the ps4 game is 60euro here and i got the switch version for 28euro.

I know Gamemania has it for 49.98 cause I just saw it. It's worth the extra cost for the added benefits.