By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you save Ellie?

 

Ellie or vaccine?

Ellie 39 41.05%
 
Vaccine 56 58.95%
 
Total:95

Well was there evidence that the vaccine would even have worked? I dont think so. So this is a though choice



Around the Network
m0ney said:
GribbleGrunger said:

It's your choice, not their's ... remember? Go on, tomorrow, do as I've said. After all it's only theoretical and not the same as what Joel did.  I'm sure they'd understand that you value others over them. 

I hate these conversation because people are not being 'real'. 

You don't see the big picture but I don't blame you, most people are short sighted.

So you'd choose to let your mother die. Got it. 

That shortsighted dig is deliciously ironic. 



 

The PS5 Exists. 


I would have saved Ellie anyway. But the fact I was FORCED to do it infuriated me to no end and made me feel cheated on an otherwise magnificent game.



Dude, SPOILER!



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

GribbleGrunger said:

I love how people are rationalising this as if the choice Joel made was some sort of moral choice.

If you believe Joel made the wrong choice, tomorrow, go to your fathers or mothers or children and tell them to their face: 'You know, if I had to choose between possibly saving humanity and saving you, I'd let you die.'

This is a nonsense of a conversation.

He made the wrong choice because it shouldn't have been his choice to begin with. It was Ellie's.



Around the Network

Ellie. The fireflies already showed themselves to be desperate and there is no telling the power that a semi-terrorist group would have if they had a vaccine. They also don't have the means to distribute it far enough. The vaccine would just fuel more conflict between the government and the fireflies. The world is too far gone and as we've seen in TLoU 2, the world can rebuild without.

And ellie is just based as fuck. How could anybody kill her after going through that journey?



"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Barkley said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I love how people are rationalising this as if the choice Joel made was some sort of moral choice.

If you believe Joel made the wrong choice, tomorrow, go to your fathers or mothers or children and tell them to their face: 'You know, if I had to choose between possibly saving humanity and saving you, I'd let you die.'

This is a nonsense of a conversation.

He made the wrong choice because it shouldn't have been his choice to begin with. It was Ellie's.

You're not thinking logically. Joel didn't make a choice. He wasn't confronted with a dilemma, consider the two options and 'choose' saving Ellie, he just reacting as a Father would (and should). He wasn't running and gunning his way through three rooms full of soldiers while simultaneously weighing the pros and cons. He was running to save his daughter, having already failed his first daughter. You're trying to retrospectively associate consideration to a situation in which there was NO consideration, not even the time to consider. 

When they were heading for the Fireflies, there was no indication that Ellie could die. Ellie herself spoke to Joel about what they'd do AFTERWARDS, meaning she didn't consider she may die. Ellie was then taken to the operation table unaware of what could befall her. There was NOTHING to consider, either from Joel's perspective or Ellie's perspective. The whole thing was just Joel saving his daughter from death. 

Only when he saved Ellie, went down the elevator and was confronted by Tess, was the consideration part of the narrative. At that point he DID make a choice but it was still a Father's choice and so the right one for Joel. The ironic thing here is the way they played this scene out. We see Joel's shoulders and head slump, giving the impression of 'consideration'. Because we, the player, saw that, when he's in the car and the camera is focused on a rather pensive looking Joel, for one moment (a deliberate moment) we think he may have chosen to leave Ellie. At that point, EVERY SINGLE let's player is hoping Ellie is in the back seat and then sigh with relief when she is. So, during the game, EVERY player believes Joel has made the right choice because we too now feel for Ellie.

It's perfect. All this 'I'd save the world' is primary school virtue signalling. 



 

The PS5 Exists. 


Spedfrom said:
I would have saved Ellie anyway. But the fact I was FORCED to do it infuriated me to no end and made me feel cheated on an otherwise magnificent game.

Because the TLoU is not your story, it's the story of Joel and ellie. You're moving the story along, you're not making the decision yourself. You're forced to do it cause it's what Joel would have done, probably 10 out 10 times. If ND is telling the story of Joel, it wouldn't make sense for you to inject yourself at the last few minutes and retconn the story by making a decision that would betray Joel's new found paternal love for ellie. I could understand if the game had giving you multiple decisions to be made throughout the game AND then force you into one at the end but that isn't the case. Honestly, there was no indication that this last decision would be based on our input.



"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Ellie. There was no full knowledge that the vaccine would save humanity sacrificing children just isn’t my thing. I’m guessing the folks vote vaccine might not be parents. Not to mention Ellie saved Joel’s ass from death just the same.



PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Areym said:
Spedfrom said:
I would have saved Ellie anyway. But the fact I was FORCED to do it infuriated me to no end and made me feel cheated on an otherwise magnificent game.

Because the TLoU is not your story, it's the story of Joel and ellie. You're moving the story along, you're not making the decision yourself. You're forced to do it cause it's what Joel would have done, probably 10 out 10 times. If ND is telling the story of Joel, it wouldn't make sense for you to inject yourself at the last few minutes and retconn the story by making a decision that would betray Joel's new found paternal love for ellie. I could understand if the game had giving you multiple decisions to be made throughout the game AND then force you into one at the end but that isn't the case. Honestly, there was no indication that this last decision would be based on our input.

I can guarantee that if Joel had stopped to give it some thought, weighed the pros and cons, and decided 'you know what, I think I'll let them kill her', people would have hated it.  'Bah, after all they've been through? There's no way Joel would have let her die. This is terrible writing.'



 

The PS5 Exists.