By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next Generation Benchmark Report Card Thread

CGI-Quality said:

Book of the Dead in motion

That looks truly fantastic. Never ceases to amaze me how far graphics have come. Feels like only just yesterday I was playing Halo Combat Evolved on the original Xbox, thinking "wow, this game is gorgeous." Now look where we're at lol

Around the Network

Stunning work CGI-Q, you're an amazing artist! The details are incredible. Macy looks absolutely real to me, especially if you were to place her in any kind of environment setting. Doubt I would be able to tell her apart from a real living person. One question I have is about hair styles, if realism to the looks and physics going to be on next gen? The hair in games today is really clumsy in the way it reacts and also clips thru objects. The trouble with it is why I'm sure we don't see long hair being implemented and used on men and women, only the rare cases like Aloy in Horizon Zero Dawn. She is a splendid character, very beautiful and the long hair of hers was really well crafted. Playing Horizon was one of my greatest gaming experiences of my life because of many things, especially because of it being visually breathtaking. Was captivating playing such a game. Will we have long hair being used more next gen, and will the physics of it be indistinguishable from how it reacts in real life?

This is truly incredible. Brilliant work CGI-Quality.

That skin is unbelievable.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Not a big fan of the wet effect. Looks to me like something else as water (thicker) or maybe water on something else than human skin but the rest is really great. And I can absolutely believe we get such a quality sometimes next gen. Thinking about how some game characters look already and those will improve obviously much next gen, I can't wait to get those games in my hands.

Sadly I'm not much into gaming the last year but I'm sure I will get back to it.

Hurry up next-gen is all I can say. :)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Today I'd like to talk a bit more about environments. What would you like to see? Better foliage? More detailed rocks? Nicer water? I have a few large environment tech pieces that I'd like to show (that will be, as I've noted, next-gen ready), but I first want to get an idea of where those things need improvement.

Foliage for sure. Foliage needs to interact better with characters moving through it, for one, and also grass needs to just get a whole lot better period.

Rock and soil textures are quite incredible these days, but I think foliage textures could improve a lot. They currently look a bit like plastic. The same for wood.

Shadow definition could also improve.

I'd also like to see more realistic sand and snow.

About fidelity performance (if I can call it this way), even on the best games like Uncharted 4 I still see considerable amount of texture compression. For the next generation, I'd like to see it completely gone. Textures must be perfect at all times and at all distances.

I also would like to see better shadow/lightening blending between characters/objects and environment.

The other thing is objects geometry, even the best titles like Uncharted 4 still has bad looking fruits. We can wonder if that case was just some lazy work or some mistake, but still, I'd like to see some sort of "next generation engine" that always delivers high quality objects in its geometry at least.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:

Rock and soil textures are quite incredible these days, but I think foliage textures could improve a lot. They currently look a bit like plastic. The same for wood.

Shadow definition could also improve.

I'd also like to see more realistic sand and snow.

About fidelity performance (if I can call it this way), even on the best games like Uncharted 4 I still see considerable amount of texture compression. For the next generation, I'd like to see it completely gone. Textures must be perfect at all times and at all distances.

I also would like to see better shadow/lightening blending between characters/objects and environment.

The other thing is objects geometry, even the best titles like Uncharted 4 still has bad looking fruits. We can wonder if that case was just some lazy work or some mistake, but still, I'd like to see some sort of "next generation engine" that always delivers high quality objects in its geometry at least.

I'm not sure how much further water could go over the next 5 years, but I can see we've already made some progress with improving Sand and how Sand interacts with objects. Conan Exiles is a good example of Nvidia showing off what they could do with sand particles.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I'm quite sure there's been at least few games that already done this type of sand (snow) long time ago...currently only War Thunder pops to mind, since that's what I'm playing on regular bases...I think it is more a matter of whether or not deformations are permanent (until changed again) or they get to be reset after a while.

Angelus said:
CGI-Quality said:
Today I'd like to talk a bit more about environments. What would you like to see? Better foliage? More detailed rocks? Nicer water? I have a few large environment tech pieces that I'd like to show (that will be, as I've noted, next-gen ready), but I first want to get an idea of where those things need improvement.

Foliage for sure. Foliage needs to interact better with characters moving through it, for one, and also grass needs to just get a whole lot better period.

When I generally say things like "Simulation quality needs to improve" - The way we interact with these digital worlds is exactly that.
The moving of foliage as we move through it (FarCry), small critters like ants and beetles crawling up tree trunks (Horizon: Zero Dawn), Destruction (Red Faction), Dynamic weather and day/night systems, Physics (Mirrors Edge), that sort of thing.

I don't think I can recall a 6th/7th/8th gen game with actual tidal movements that align with the moon phases either, something like Elder Scrolls would benefit from that.

It's great that a game might dabble in one or two of these things... But they never do the whole package. - Mostly it's due to the lack of CPU time and development resources, hoping next gen brings the goods.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--