Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4: The Last Of Us Part 2 - New Animation Tech

It looks astounding Naughty Gods i love you

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:
Areaz32 said:

Do you remember in the first TLOU where Joel finds a rifle while Sacrificing Tess ?? Yeah that animation was even more advanced than pulling an arrow out of a dude. I don't see how that was all that special.

That was scripted. You can make any scripted moment look as nice as you want. If this is scripted too, then it's nothing special. If it's dynamic, then it's unprecedented.

You have to be more specific than that. By saying its scripted is kind of irrelevant. There are many instances of your character doing full animations in a contextual manner in the same fidelity of the arrow being pulled out of a guy. I don't understand how that is "scripted" compared to Nathan Drake moving some puzzle piece or Kratos opening a chest.

Areaz32 said:
TallSilhouette said:

That was scripted. You can make any scripted moment look as nice as you want. If this is scripted too, then it's nothing special. If it's dynamic, then it's unprecedented.

You have to be more specific than that. By saying its scripted is kind of irrelevant. There are many instances of your character doing full animations in a contextual manner in the same fidelity of the arrow being pulled out of a guy. I don't understand how that is "scripted" compared to Nathan Drake moving some puzzle piece or Kratos opening a chest.

It's a canned animation. Once you move to pick up the rifle it performs the same rigid animation no matter the angle or where you started from. It's a one off sequence made specifically for that moment that can't be reproduced anywhere else. Scripted moments can look as nice as they want but don't really contribute to the core mechanics and feel of using a character. If that corpse bit is a scripted sequence made just for that demo that we'll only see once or not at all and not representative of raw gameplay, then it's nothing special. If it's a dynamic sequence that adapts to contexts like your positioning (standing, crouching, front, side, etc) and environment (counter, wall, floor, etc), then it's on a whole 'nother level. Ellie seamlessly interacting with two sides of a counter, a body, and an item all at once seems a little too perfect to not be a scripted one off, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by TallSilhouette - on 22 June 2018

TallSilhouette said:
Areaz32 said:

It's a canned animation. Once you move to pick up the rifle it performs the same rigid animation no matter the angle or where you started from. It's a one off sequence made specifically for that moment that can't be reproduced anywhere else. Scripted moments can look as nice as they want but don't really contribute to the core mechanics and feel of using a character. If that corpse bit is a scripted sequence made just for that demo that we'll only see once or not at all and not representative of raw gameplay, then it's nothing special. If it's a dynamic sequence that adapts to contexts like your positioning (standing, crouching, front, side, etc) and environment (counter, wall, floor, etc), then it's on a whole 'nother level. Ellie seamlessly interacting with two sides of a counter, a body, and an item all at once seems a little too perfect to not be a scripted one off, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

How is that any different from Nathan Drake pulling an enemys head into a wall or Joel smashing an enemys skull over a tables cornor? We have already seen hand placements be 100% dynamic since the Uncharted 3 days and they even do it on railing. 

Areaz32 said:
TallSilhouette said:

How is that any different from Nathan Drake pulling an enemys head into a wall or Joel smashing an enemys skull over a tables cornor? We have already seen hand placements be 100% dynamic since the Uncharted 3 days and they even do it on railing. 

Because that's fewer variables that are comparatively easy to program for, and even then the first game cheated it with lots of sliding around hidden by the camera (something that even persisted in the recent GOW). I saw none of that in this demo. If Ellie had treated the corpse like it was propped up against any flat, perpendicular wall and moved right in front to interact with it I wouldn't have given it a second look; that's how it's practically always been done (including the first game). But who would even think to program such an action to dynamically interact with two surfaces at once, crouched, from the side, perfectly - let alone bother or even be able to? No game I've ever seen before. If it's not scripted, it's peerless.

Around the Network
Areaz32 said:
TallSilhouette said:

Because the Nathan Drake example is a simple animation that can be applied to any number of vertical (or near vertical) surfaces. We also don't scrutinise those moments as we have here and I'm certain they wouldn't hold up to this even for that very basic animation. We have specific animations here. She reaches out, grabs the arrow, pulls out the arrow and then puts it into her quiver. If that moments isn't a spot animation, designed only for this location then, considering all the possible angles and placement of arrows, that would be fuckin' incredible. It looks like a canned animation but evidently it's not. 

The PS5 Exists. 

It is hard to really show what Last Of Us is about in a few minutes gameplay.
Of course there were scripted moments like that arrow shot seconds after Ellie took an hostage, its simply not possible to .... stream that action every second.

GribbleGrunger said:
iron_megalith said:
Animations look good but I don't want to get hooked by the bait again. I'll put all expectations on hold. As of now it's looking too good to be true. Not even Horizon looks that good. However, I will admit that I was happily astonished by Detroit Become Human.

Watch the GDC video. 

I know about it. However I don't want to assume we're at that point yet. Do take note, that even AI behavior in TLoU was gutted down to a degree. Not saying it made it bad but it was a tad disappointing.

Even more technical analysis:

Cool to get a frame by frame breakdown of gameplay animation systems and logic. Guy seems to agree with me about the corpse, but hope it's legit.