Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fallout 76: How Will Todd Howard Solve The "Douchebag" Problem?

They have already announced some of their plans to reduce the affect of griefing from player killers. For starters, unlike similar online survival games like Rust and DayZ, your progression isn't reset when you die and you don't lose all of your items, just some of the money you're carrying I believe. From what I've heard, if your settlement gets destroyed by other players, you don't have to rebuild from scratch, you can save settlement designs and easily rebuild them. Todd also insinuated in one interview that there might only be certain areas of the map where PvP is possible, so there might be some safe zones you can explore and build settlements in. Other than that, all he said is that they're working on other ways to incentive co-op play over PvP play.

I've seen people worried about their base or themselves getting nuked by other players, but the truth is it's not something you really have to worry about. You need a set of 5 codes to activate a nuke and apparently it is very difficult to get all 5 solo, which basically means 5 total strangers with codes have to group up instead of killing each other, and even if they do launch a nuke it affects only around 2% of the game map, so there is only about a 2% chance you'll be caught in the blast radius. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 15 June 2018

Around the Network

Also, I forgot to mention, I heard that there will only be 22 players per server, and the map is 4x larger than Fallout 4, so the chances of running into another player on a map that size are relatively small. You might only get 1 encounter with another player every few hours of gameplay, especially if you're good at stealth, so the experience should still be good for solo players who aren't interested in PvP.

shikamaru317 said:
Also, I forgot to mention, I heard that there will only be 22 players per server, and the map is 4x larger than Fallout 4, so the chances of running into another player on a map that size are relatively small. You might only get 1 encounter with another player every few hours of gameplay, especially if you're good at stealth, so the experience should still be good for solo players who aren't interested in PvP.

So to summarize...a Bethesda game with no NPCs, no real story, featuring by far their largest map, designed for MP, will make experiencing said MP (outside of friend invites - I assume) a rarity to actually experience.

Sounds genius. 

Last edited by Angelus - on 15 June 2018

Angelus said:
shikamaru317 said:

So to summarize...a Bethesda game with no NPCs, no real story, featuring by far their largest map, designed for MP, will make experience said MP (outside of friend invites - I assume) a rarity to actually experience.

Sounds genius. 

There is story in the form of audio logs and computer journal entries and such that you can find in the world, and there are radiant quests which you can find while out in the world exploring. But yeah, I do find it really strange that there are no human NPC's, I see no reason why they couldn't have done safe zone settlements with NPC's in them who give you proper story quests. 

If I had to guess the 22 player per server limit is due to how crappy the Creation engine is. It's an engine that struggles to run singleplayer games well, no clue how they even managed to get it to handle multiplayer at all, lol.

shikamaru317 said:
Angelus said:

So to summarize...a Bethesda game with no NPCs, no real story, featuring by far their largest map, designed for MP, will make experience said MP (outside of friend invites - I assume) a rarity to actually experience.

Sounds genius. 

There is story in the form of audio logs and other types of radiant quests (quests which you find in the world while exploring). But yeah, I do find it really strange that there are no human NPC's, I see no reason why they couldn't have done safe zone settlements with NPC's in them who give you quests. 

I mean, I'm not really that into Fallout anyway, so I don't care all that much….but this game sounds pretty poorly thought out to me.

Around the Network

Found another interview with Todd where he said there are systems in place to prevent the same people from killing you over and over. He also insinuates in the interview that the game spawns you away from other players, unless you're grouped up in a team of course, I assume you'll respawn near them. He also confirms in that interview that you lose no progression if you die and that other players can't loot your body after killing you, they just get some money (I'm not even sure if they get your money, it seems like the game just awards PK'ers some money for killing people, I don't think any money is taken from the killed player). I assume that other players won't be able to loot your settlement either. 

If pvp is allowed then douchebaggery is kind of the point. Normies and non-pvp gamers are gonna have to learn to contend with it.

Angelus said:
shikamaru317 said:

There is story in the form of audio logs and other types of radiant quests (quests which you find in the world while exploring). But yeah, I do find it really strange that there are no human NPC's, I see no reason why they couldn't have done safe zone settlements with NPC's in them who give you quests. 

I mean, I'm not really that into Fallout anyway, so I don't care all that much….but this game sounds pretty poorly thought out to me.

So I did some research, and apparently all Bethesda said is that there are no human NPC's. Seems they may be hiding the fact that there are some Ghoul or Super Mutant NPC's in the game which you might be able to talk to and get quests from. It does make sense that there are no human NPC's in the game, this is only 25 years after the bombs dropped, all the people who weren't inside of vaults would have either been killed or mutated into ghouls or super mutants by the radiation, and Fallout 76 is the first vault to open into the wasteland. So it makes sense that the only humans in the world are your fellow vault 76 dwellers, who are other players. 

Edit: Also, there is a voiced vault overseer who sends you on main story quests into each of the game's 6 regions apparently. 

AlfredoTurkey said:
Back in the day, when we were kids, the way you stopped douche baggery was putting the controller down and beating the shit out of one another. People tended to behave when the threat of actually getting their ass kicked was there to keep them in check.

As far as online gaming, there's nothing to stop it. It's a part of the beast.

This is the exact reason I don't care about online multiplayer games.  I love playing sports games with my friends.  If I'm beating a friend in Madden, and they suddenly decide to rage quit because they are losing, I can talk them into finishing the game.  Online, the person disconnects, the game automatically ends, and I just wasted 45 minutes of my life.

honestly, it sounds like part of the fun and dynamic of the game. You have people who are out to make your life a living hell. You band with others and end their existence. They should definitely make those nuke hard to activate/acquire and very sparingly so not just any random one person can use it but rather a coordinated group effort is required to attain them

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian