By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So... Will Nintendo be able to ship those 20 million Switch units?

colafitte said:

I must still live in another dimension regarding this topic, seriously. How is going to reach 20M SHIPPED by March if Switch is going to end SELLING around 16-16'5M in 2018 ?(is around 13M with 3 weeks left to end the year). By Q3 official numbers, Swith should be around 32M SHIPPED, so add another 2M, 3M max for Q4 and you have 35M at most and 34M at worst. To reach 20M shipped they need to be close to 38M by March end. In other words...is not happening.

Sales this quarter

US-~4 million, add 10-15% for Canada & Latin America brings us to ~4.5 million for Americas. That would bring shipments to ~5 million.

Japan-1.75 million so shipments of ~2 million.

Other-consistently been 80-90% of Americas shipments so 4+ million.

That would give an 11 million shipment quarter which would mean just under 4 million needed for Q4 which did 2.93m last year. Holiday/Smash momentum and 2D Mario releasing in Jan can give it the extra million over last year.

Worst case scenario is missing by 1-1.5 million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
colafitte said:

I must still live in another dimension regarding this topic, seriously. How is going to reach 20M SHIPPED by March if Switch is going to end SELLING around 16-16'5M in 2018 ?(is around 13M with 3 weeks left to end the year). By Q3 official numbers, Swith should be around 32M SHIPPED, so add another 2M, 3M max for Q4 and you have 35M at most and 34M at worst. To reach 20M shipped they need to be close to 38M by March end. In other words...is not happening.

Sales this quarter

US-~4 million, add 10-15% for Canada & Latin America brings us to ~4.5 million for Americas. That would bring shipments to ~5 million.

That would give an 11 million shipment quarter which would mean just under 4 million needed for Q4 which did 2.93m last year. Holiday/Smash momentum and 2D Mario releasing in Jan can give it the extra million over last year.

5M shipment for America could be right in my opinion, but the "Other" regions you use, have never been any close to what US numbers do for Nintendo consoles, so there won't be 4M+ coming from "there".

4'5-5M from Americas, 1'5M from JP, 3-3'5M for the rest of the world, 9-10M in the end worldwide.

colafitte said:
zorg1000 said:

Sales this quarter

5M shipment for America could be right in my opinion, but the "Other" regions you use, have never been any close to what US numbers do for Nintendo consoles, so there won't be 4M+ coming from "there".

4'5-5M from Americas, 1'5M from JP, 3-3'5M for the rest of the world, 9-10M in the end worldwide.

That is where you are wrong.

Americas-9.13m

Other-8.20m

That is ~90% of Americas. It has been this way nearly every quarter.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RolStoppable said:
colafitte said:

Well, point for you, with DS you were right. But because just 1 of 11 Nintendo consoles had better sales in year 3-4, even having a good year 5 we should now expect Switch to be the same?? What Switch has made to think it will replicate DS success? Why not compare it to Wii or 3DS?? (which in my opinion, its pace is far more similar). What happened to the shipments of those consoles? (don't need to put the numbers, don't worry, i suppose both know the numbers).

It's more than one Nintendo console that had good sales beyond year 3, but you'll have to make the effort yourself to put all the numbers together:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nintendo-historical-shipment-data-1983-present.701305/

The basis of any analysis should be that software sells hardware, so you look at the software support to get an idea how hardware sales will develop. If you do that, Switch isn't similar to Wii and 3DS. If you do that, you realize that the DS had a massive amount of quality games over the years. If you do that, you realize that all Nintendo consoles which had more sustained sales had a better software pipeline than those Nintendo consoles which didn't have a good software pipeline. If you do that, you realize that the same principle applies to PlayStation consoles as well, which is why the Vita was dead in the water in the West while it did somewhat okay in Japan where third parties kept supporting it.

You can split up software support into first party and third party. Regarding first party, the advantage Switch has over Wii and 3DS is that Switch is now the only Nintendo console. The decline of Wii sales correlates with the launch of the 3DS, because Nintendo's first party focused on the new console. Similarly, the 3DS had a rough time eventually, because most of Nintendo's top development teams worked on the Wii U. Now that 3DS development has fizzled out, Switch has a few years all to itself as far as Nintendo's attention is concerned. This means that all the system seller software that was split across two consoles in the past is now on one console for the first time since the NES era.

Regarding third party, Wii was despised by them. Wii got lots of games, but after 2010 third party releases were reduced to a trickle; this combined with the reduced first party releases is the real reason why Wii sales fell so hard in the later stages of its lifecycle. The 3DS had good third party support from Japan, but the console missed out mostly on the rising prevalence of indie games; this combined with the reduced first party releases hurt the console in the long run. Now while Switch is getting hardly any of the AAA third party games, it's sitting pretty with Japanese support and has become the darling of indie developers; neither of these two categories of third party support can be expected to dry up anytime soon, so the Switch library will continue to grow at a healthy pace in both quality and quantity. This kind of support is what drove DS sales, because the DS didn't get AAA third party games either; much of which is digital-only software today was released at retail for the DS.

So because Switch is much better set up in terms of first party and third party support in the long run, it will sell accordingly and therefore have a sales pattern closer to the DS or most PS consoles than to the Wii or 3DS. Plus price cuts and revisions are coming from fiscal year 3 onwards; those are two other important factors to stabilize hardware sales for a longer time.

By parragraphs...

DS had very good games of course, but i would say that 3DS had too. Quality of software not always implies success for a Nintendo console. I love N64 and GC exclusives way more than Wii exclusives, in quantity and quality, and Wii still sold way more than both combined.

That could be true but is still yet to prove that it will correlate to any more success. Maybe right now, they had more focus with just one console, but because it was necessary too, because game production now cost way more time and resources, so i can say to you that that focus in Switch would only mean more time making the same good games, only just now they cost more (time and money) to do them.

The indie support is way overrated. No indie game has sell gangbusters in Switch (let's say more than 2 or 3 millions) and 3rd party support for Switch from Japan....well, 3DS had main Monster Hunter games and Yokai Watch games that were VERY succesful for 3DS in Japan. I'm not seeing anything like that for Switch in the near future coming from Japanese developers, at least, until now. As for the rest of 3rd party support, is as dead as ever, with late ports and disappointing sales. That has not changed from WiiU era.

So Switch is not better set up in terms of first and third party support not now, and not in the long run, based on any new annoucement until now. there is yet not proof Switch will reach DS pace of lasting so much. In fact, what i expect is Switch doing more like what we already seen during the first 9-10 months of 2018 happening in 2019 (even worse) until Animal Crossing and the true new Pokemon game launch. After that happens sales will start to stagnate as always happens with Nintendo home consoles. And i know you don't think so, but i'm pretty sure the buzz for next gen consoles and their lauch will affect Swich sales in the west in 2020.

Edit: In the end all of this is just subjective opinion. Both see the same glass with the same amount of water but you see it half full and i'm seeing it half empty.

Last edited by colafitte - on 03 January 2019

zorg1000 said:
colafitte said:

Americas-9.13m

Other-8.20m

Isn't that number official from Nintendo?. Don't consider Nitnedo America just North America??? (US+Canada). You and i were using America as a whole, all the continent. That's why Other is so high comparad to Americas.

Around the Network
colafitte said:

Yeah, you sound like you are from another dimension. :D

I mean just look last year Q3, in last Q3 Nintendo shipped 7.3m, not we seeing that both November and December are much stronger in sales than same months of last year, that automatically means much higher shipped numbers also, with that on mind, Q3 this year for Switch bare minimum will be 10m+. Also last year in Janaury-March period Switch shipped 3m, so I dont see why y mentione 2m when Q4 of this year coming after Pokemon, Smash Bros and NSMBU DX can only be stronger, so we talking about 3.5-4m shipped units for Q4 of this year. With all that on mind, around 19m is minimum that Switch will do, what is expected is around 11m for Q3 and 4m for Q4 and that would mean 20m, but you can bet that even Nintendo is short 1m> they could easily little more staff channels in order to meet goal.

colafitte said:
RolStoppable said:

That doesn't make sense, because Nintendo has definitively not given up on unit sales. The "sacrifice" they are making in unit sales this fiscal year will allow them to prolong the lifecycle of Switch, because they are pushing back price cuts and revisions to later dates. Nintendo is coming off the 3DS which had price cuts and revisions early; while that helped sales in the first half of the 3DS's lifecycle, it came at the expense of sales later in the lifecycle because the customers who wait for certain prices on the hardware were able to buy the console quite early.

Since so far Nintendo is doing things that will help Switch to have high yearly sales for a longer time, it's more than feasible to beat the Wii in the end, especially if they accomplish the goal of turning Switch into a one-per-person device as opposed to the one-per-household device it is right now.

The 3DS will have lifetime sales of ~75m, so Nintendo would have to begin to sabotage Switch in order to fall short of Wii sales.

Well, that won't make sense to you then, for me it makes all the sense of the world. I already said in other thread what i expect from Switch. No Nintendo console (handheld or home console) has mantained the sales of their 2nd or 3rd years or sales. Switch has not proved anything different wll happen. 17M FY2018, 17-18M FY 2019, 12-13M FY2020, 10M FY 2021, 8M FY2022......, so around 82-84M shipped at most by then. By end of 2022, Switch will have its succesor already announced and in 2023 Switch will drop a lot. So around 86-87M shipped at most lifetime.

I know some people won't agree with me, and that's  completely fine, but this is my honest prediction.

In reality we will have something like this, around 20m FY 2018, 23-25m FY 2019.

colafitte said:
zorg1000 said:

Americas-9.13m

Other-8.20m

Isn't that number official from Nintendo?. Don't consider Nitnedo America just North America??? (US+Canada). You and i were using America as a whole, all the continent. That's why Other is so high comparad to Americas.

Yes its the official numbers from Nintendo.

Americas is US, Canada, Mexico, Central America & South America

Others is Europe, Australia, Africa & Asia (excluding Japan)

If Americas shipments are 4.5-5 million than Others will be 4+ million (80-90% of Americas).

Also we get weekly data from Japan so your 1.5 million shipment estimate is already wrong, sell through numbers are higher than that this quarter.

Miyamotoo said:

Yeah, you sound like you are from another dimension. :D

I mean just look last year Q3, in last Q3 Nintendo shipped 7.3m, not we seeing that both November and December are much stronger in sales than same months of last year, that automatically means much higher shipped numbers also, with that on mind, Q3 this year for Switch bare minimum will be 10m+. Also last year in Janaury-March period Switch shipped 3m, so I dont see why y mentione 2m when Q4 of this year coming after Pokemon, Smash Bros and NSMBU DX can only be stronger, so we talking about 3.5-4m shipped units for Q4 of this year. With all that on mind, around 19m is minimum that Switch will do, what is expected is around 11m for Q3 and 4m for Q4 and that would mean 20m, but you can bet that even Nintendo is short 1m> they could easily little more staff channels in order to meet goal.

In reality we will have something like this, around 20m FY 2018, 23-25m FY 2019.

You and I definitively...XDDD

But don't worry, if i'm wrong i'll be there to accept a gentlemen's defeat and publicly say you were right and i was wrong. I won't demand you do the same thing if i'm right if you don't want to.

But we will know Q3 numbers soon though... For the rest, i think it will become clear if Switch is capable to do 23-25M next FY when FY2018 is announced, i will give you a hint of what i think...........

HA!

Last edited by colafitte - on 03 January 2019

zorg1000 said:
colafitte said:

If Americas shipments are 4.5-5 million than Others will be 4+ million (80-90% of Americas).

Also we get weekly data from Japan so your 1.5 million shipment estimate is already wrong, sell through numbers are higher than that this quarter.

Ok, i will remake my prediction, because what i had clear was 9-10M shipped, i did not went full on regions, so that's why i made the mistake.

4'5-4'25M for Americas, 3'75-3'5M for Others, 1'75-2M for Japan, but the 10M worldwide still remains.

colafitte said:
zorg1000 said:

Ok, i will remake my prediction, because what i had clear was 9-10M shipped, i did not went full on regions, so that's why i made the mistake.

4'5-4'25M for Americas, 3'75-3'5M for Others, 1'75-2M for Japan, but the 10M worldwide still remains.

So you have them doing 18.5 million and think people are crazy for thinking they will come close to 20m?