By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So... Will Nintendo be able to ship those 20 million Switch units?

Looking like a possible 5m December as sales goes so shipments for Q3 as a whole must be significant in reducing the gap the investors report in January will be an intriguing one.

Around the Network

I said it on an old thread and I'll say it here: yes. And if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.

Wyrdness said:
Looking like a possible 5m December as sales goes so shipments for Q3 as a whole must be significant in reducing the gap the investors report in January will be an intriguing one.

5M seems minimum performance right now, I'm thinking more like 6M

I adjust this projection every weeks...

If Nintendo was going to miss it by a few hundred k would they stuff the channels to hit it? Imo they either miss it by a margin or hit it.

Around the Network

It's certainly starting to look closer. I'm guessing they'll still be at 17-18 million sold, but with the holiday sales numbers, I'm sure stores will feel safe in stocking up on extra units. 2 million shipped is still a stretch, but not as crazy as it once sounded.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

I must still live in another dimension regarding this topic, seriously. How is going to reach 20M SHIPPED by March if Switch is going to end SELLING around 16-16'5M in 2018 ?(is around 13M with 3 weeks left to end the year). By Q3 official numbers, Swith should be around 32M SHIPPED, so add another 2M, 3M max for Q4 and you have 35M at most and 34M at worst. To reach 20M shipped they need to be close to 38M by March end. In other words...is not happening.

colafitte said:

I must still live in another dimension regarding this topic, seriously. How is going to reach 20M SHIPPED by March if Switch is going to end SELLING around 16-16'5M in 2018 ?(is around 13M with 3 weeks left to end the year). By Q3 official numbers, Swith should be around 32M SHIPPED, so add another 2M, 3M max for Q4 and you have 35M at most and 34M at worst. To reach 20M shipped they need to be close to 38M by March end. In other words...is not happening.

This is precisely why me and a few others have invested in shares...It is because most of people don't see it happening.

Consider also that a 19M would only mean a miss by 5%, which should be considered as a victory as well.

Amnesia said:
colafitte said:

This is precisely why me and a few others have invested in shares...It is because most of people don't see it happening.

Consider also that a 19M would only mean a miss by 5%, which should be considered as a victory as well.

Is not reaching 19M either....

Look, Switch is having a tremendous Q3, as expected by most, but the problem was the pace for the rest of the year. Switch needed 15M shipped consoles in Q3+Q4 and that's something that only prime Wii or prime PS2 were able to do. 

Switch is going to ship around 9-10M in Q3 and around 3-2M (depending on how much ended Q3), for a total of 12-13M in those quarters, and around 17-18M by March. Still an impressive number for a second year home console. Is just that 20M number was nuts from the begining.

I expect 11-11,5M for Q3 and 3,5-4M for Q4.
Don't worry we will have our answer in 28 days :)