By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else slightly disappointed?

How would you rate how the year's shaping up so far?

Looks to be one of the best years in gaming. 10 14.29%

Solid year, several highl... 32 45.71%

Disappointing, some moder... 23 32.86%

Pure garbage, one of the ... 3 4.29%

Ok year, greatly anticipa... 2 2.86%

Total:70

I'm not saying this years E3 was bad. I'm not saying that there were no interesting reveals. I'm aware that this is likely going to sound whiny and entitled, and I'm not even going to disagree with you. All of this is extremely petty and pointless complaining about first world problems. I'm openly admitting to being a whiny tool, and I would like that to be kept in mind as you read this. I'm just curious I'm the only one a bit let down by this year's E3 and indeed, this year in general.

Anyway, for me personally (and I want to stress, ME PERSONALLY) this was a disappointing E3. Not because of the games that were or weren't talked (ok, at least not mostly), but because of when everything's coming. There was a grand total of 3 games that were talked about that I know I'm getting this year. Two were revealed prior to E3, and one's a port.

Going through the conferences I watched:

Bethesda's was boring as sin (PERSONALLY as I don't care too much for Fallout), as they were trying far too hard to be cute with the RAGE music piece and their routine they did when talking about Prey's multiplayer.

Microsoft's was decent, but disappointing personally for reasons I'll get to shortly.

Why the hell did Square Enix even bother? They showed Tomb Raider, Captain Spirit, Just Cause, and Nier at Microsoft's conference, talked a bit about Octopath Traveler and a trailer for The World Ends With You at Nintendo's, and talked about Kingdom Hearts at both Microsoft and Sony's. Considering that everything else they talked about was a PS4 exclusive, they could have easily have been shown there. Not even a mention of Dragon Quest for Switch or their Marvel project.

And finally my god Nintendo, I love Smash I really do, but I wanted at least one more announcement past Mario Party. Not to mention several games you have that you didn't even mention (Yoshi, Metroid, and Bayonetta).

I didn't watch EA's as I don't play anything they make (not terribly impressive from I heard) and I don't own a PS4, so Sony's out (irritating from what I've heard).

So E3 wasn't terrifically great for announcements from my perspective. But past that, I was hoping against hope that E3 was going to be an oasis in the desert that is this year for me. That we were going to get dates for games, that at least some were going to be this year. That did not happen.

I've purchased one game that's come out this year so far (Kirby Star Allies). Last year, I got: Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Super Mario Odyssey, Metroid Samus Returns, Cuphead, Sonic Mania, Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, Arms, Splatoon 2, Assassin's Creed Origins. Xenoblade, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Cuphead, Splatoon, and Sonic are all games that probably would have been my most anticipated game of any other year, and any of those games plus Persona probably would have GOTY in any year had they released in separate years. 

What do I personally have to look forward to this year? Nier Automata (a port), Captain Toad (a port), Assassin's Creed, and Smash (BARELY scraping by in December). Let me mention really quick that the gulf in excitement between Nier/Smash and Ass Creed/Captain Toad is MASSIVE. Now granted I'm ecstatic that I get the chance to play Nier, and am hype as hell for Smash and was hype was Kirby but that's three games that I am/was highly anticipating as compared to 6 from last year, and more to the point I'm attempting to make, at least 7 for next year.

Next year I have at bare minimum (assuming no delays of course), Fire Emblem Three Houses, Trials Rising, Yoshi, Kingdom Hearts III, Gears 5, Pokemon Gen 8, and Ori and the Will of the Wisps. These are all games I am highly anticipating. That's not even including the possibility of games without release dates like Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, or Doom Eternal coming out next year. It's obviously also not including hypothetical games that could be announced. But the point I'm making is that as of the middle of this year, there are already more games I'm looking forward to next year, then there are new releases I'm intending to get in totality this year. 

And this year's E3 was basically just the bearer of bad news for me, and I admit, that it's not totally at fault. My expectations were obviously far too high. But everything that stuck out at me for E3 was everything that I wasn't going to be able to play this year.

Kingdom Hearts III (delayed to January). Doom Eternal (TBA). Fire Emblem (delayed to Spring 2019). Yoshi (delayed to 2019). Gears 5 (2019, leaving yet another holiday where Microsoft has nothing except Forza). Pokemon Gen 8 (2019). Ori (2019). Trials Rising (Feb 2019). I didn't need all of them. I didn't need even half of them. I just wanted ANY of them to come out within the next few months. I expected at least between Gears (I thought Microsoft wouldn't go two years straight without a holiday exclusive, obviously that was wrong), Ori (I didn't think it'd be unreasonable to assume 2018 considering they announced it E3 last year, and the first came out in March 2015, obviously wrong), Fire Emblem and Yoshi (first revealed in January 2018 and E3 2018 respectively, both slated for this year. Nintendo hasn't delayed any Switch games yet, so I was hopeful, obviously that was wrong), and Kingdom Hearts (I feel like a goddamn fool for believing that 2018 release at all) that SOMETHING was going to come out this year, or at least barring that, that at least more than one port from last year would be revealed that I'm excited for (need to stress, THANK GOD Nier got announced for Xbox, otherwise this year would've just depressed me to no end.) 

Even going my past my personal preferences not a whole lot was talked about that's actually coming this year is it? Resident Evil 2 Remake, Anthem, Sea of Solitude, Dead or Alive 6, Babylon's Fall, Crackdown 3, Days Gone, Metro Exodus, Halo Infinite, The Division 2, Control, Daemon X Machina, Devil May Cry 5, Jump Force, Rage 2, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Skull & Bones, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Wolfenstein: Youngblood Battletoads, Dying Light 2, Session, and Cuphead DLC are all 2019, whereas The Last of Us Part II, Ghosts of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Cyberpunk 2077, Beyond Good & Evil 2, Halo Infinite, The Elder Scrolls VI, and The Quiet Man don't even have release years, some without confirmed platforms!

Siiiiiigh. I guess if there's one good thing to come out of this, is that I'll get the chance to play catch up for stuff I missed for previous years and/or will be playing stuff I wouldn't otherwise. I might end getting some games like Just Cause 4, Super Mario Party, or Soul Calibur VI whereas in other years I likely wouldn't.

TL;DR, this E3 confirmed that this is likely to be a rather dry year for me. 

Anyone else slightly disappointed by this year's E3/library of games coming in general? Disagree and think I'm a whiny turd? Sound off below.

Last edited by Megaoverlord12 - on 13 June 2018

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

Around the Network

Between what is coming and games that are already out that i want to play i am frankly overwhelmed.

I wouldn't say that I'm disappointed by the games that are supposed to come later this year. But, I will say that E3, aside from the XB show, provided me with zero excitement boost. Usually, E3 increases my excitement for the rest of the year. But, this year, aside from XB, nobody had any substantial surprise to reveal. And, even XB didn't really have much to show for this year. Horizon 4 looked extremely good. And, the immediate launch of Unravel that was announced at their show are all that moved the 2018 needle for me there.

I guess I could give Ubisoft a little credit too, for showing a cool looking Ass Creed.

Anyway, I think we all got a little spoiled in 2017. Nintendo and Sony both knocked it out of the park with software, and XB launched a beastly hardware upgrade. That same level of awesomeness just isn't coming for us this year. In fact, until the year that PS5 (and probably the new XB) launch, I doubt we'll have anything to rival 2017 in terms of gaming excitement.

With that said, 2018 has started strong. If RDR2, and most of the other big fall games actually make it out this year, it'll still be a great year for gaming.

I'm fine for now. Octopath, Splatoon DLC, Smash and whatever indie comes in the future will keep me quite entertained, not to mention all of the old games I've yet to complete. Not an stellar 2nd half of the year, but still, not bad.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

The things that are coming are great,my problem is that majority of those things we already knew before the E3. This show was mainly to reveal details but about brand new unrevealed games,the number is surprisingly low. The only show that put a decent balance between reveals and what we already knew was Bethesda,and their show even wasn't that great.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Around the Network

Nintendos E3 was the most dissapointing imo...... 2nd year, I was expecting Nintendo to bring it, not fall asleep at the wheel.
Sony's had great games but presentation itself wasnt that well done (the start was abit akward).
MS had a really well done presentation, but most of what they showed was Multiplats + games for next generation of xbox.

Ubisoft did fantastic though.

Stuart23 said:
The things that are coming are great,my problem is that majority of those things we already knew before the E3. This show was mainly to reveal details but about brand new unrevealed games,the number is surprisingly low. The only show that put a decent balance between reveals and what we already knew was Bethesda,and their show even wasn't that great.

That is a good point that I didn't get around to mentioning. I probably would have been a tad bit more accepting to stuff if stuff like Gears and Assassin's Creed wasn't leaked or if stuff like Ori, Fire Emblem, and Yoshi weren't already announced.

VAMatt said:
I wouldn't say that I'm disappointed by the games that are supposed to come later this year. But, I will say that E3, aside from the XB show, provided me with zero excitement boost. Usually, E3 increases my excitement for the rest of the year. But, this year, aside from XB, nobody had any substantial surprise to reveal. And, even XB didn't really have much to show for this year. Horizon 4 looked extremely good. And, the immediate launch of Unravel that was announced at their show are all that moved the 2018 needle for me there.

I guess I could give Ubisoft a little credit too, for showing a cool looking Ass Creed.

Anyway, I think we all got a little spoiled in 2017. Nintendo and Sony both knocked it out of the park with software, and XB launched a beastly hardware upgrade. That same level of awesomeness just isn't coming for us this year. In fact, until the year that PS5 (and probably the new XB) launch, I doubt we'll have anything to rival 2017 in terms of gaming excitement.

With that said, 2018 has started strong. If RDR2, and most of the other big fall games actually make it out this year, it'll still be a great year for gaming.

Yea I kinda alluded to it a bit, but 2017 was goddamn ridiculous. I REEEEALLY should've have lowered my expectations for this year given how last year was. Fire Emblem, Kingdom Hearts, and Yoshi being delayed really devastated this year for me. I don't care for the twin shooters nor RDR2, so I needed those games desperately.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

2018 and people still have god-like expectations for E3.

JRPGfan said:

Nintendos E3 was the most dissapointing imo...... 2nd year, I was expecting Nintendo to bring it, not fall asleep at the wheel.
Sony's had great games but presentation itself wasnt that well done (the start was abit akward).
MS had a really well done presentation, but most of what they showed was Multiplats + games for next generation of xbox.

Ubisoft did fantastic though.

So what apart from Halo: Infinite was next gen? (btw cyberpunk is confirmed for PS4/Xbox One)

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

I’m disappointed every year when they don’t announce a new shining force or a port of shining force 3... but I’ll get over it...