By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Ultimate is not a port... and not a brand new game?

Would you say Smash Ultimate is...

A port 18 14.75%

A brand new game 74 60.66%

A compilation 23 18.85%

Something else 7 5.74%

Total:122
AlfredoTurkey said:
It's a port like MK Deluxe was a port even though it had "new" stuff in it. Disgraceful.

Sarcasm, yes?

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
Alara317 said:

Yeah, no. you're just unequivocally wrong. Not even a 'but there are similarities' sort of way. 

Smash 5 already has more changes than iterative yearly sports titles, and those aren't called ports. It's a fighting game with a large roster of characters. Yes, it shares characters and stages from prior smash games, but EVERY smash sequel has shared stages and characters from prior games.

Just like literally every other fighting game sequel from ever. 

At this point we don't know anything about the other game modes, but the fact that it has ALL The characters and more, many of the characters have significant changes from previous iterations, the fundamentals of combat (dodging, sheilding, jumping, air-dodging, etc) and we have new content in the form of new stages and characters on top of adding a bunch of old stuff shows that it's not a port. 

A port would be "All the same characters, all the same stages, the exact same combat system, and all the same gameplay modes" with all the DLC. We have new characters, new gameplay mechanics (or at least fundamentally altered mechanics), and we don't know about the singleplayer modes yet. 

Give it up. You are wrong. You can argue and throw opinions all you want, you're still fundamentally wrong, and that means it's the end of this discussion. 

You're telling me you can't think of a game with added characters and gameplay mechanic changes? I'll give you two hints (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge).

And Dark Souls II added the Scholar of the First Sin in its PS4 and Xbone editions; adding content and making minor changes like that are very insignificant, but when 99.9% of the game is the exact same, it's still a port. When it's set in the same world with the same game modes and the same everything but ONLY a few minor tweaks, it's a port. 

When it's a fighting game with at least 10 more fighters than its previous title (68 announced so far, up from the 58 from Smash 4 wiiU), it has new levels (At least 2 we know about), Entirely new modes (Final Destination mode in addition to Omega mode on all stages including ones that weren't in Smash 4 like Termina bay), 1V1 mode that fundamentally alters how the game plays and presents itself, New display modes, a huge improvement in graphic fidelity, and alterations on characters is WAY too much to be a port. 

Sharing characters and stages from prior games in a fighting game is nowhere near enough to call it 'a port'. It's not a port. It's a new game that has characters and levels from prior games in it. It's no more a 'port' than Smash 4 was a port of Smash Brawl. It's no more a port than Street Fighter V or Fifa 18 or MLB The Show 17. 

Cut it out. Stop trying to muddle the discussion with faulty logic and an argument that SOUNDS good on the surface but holds absolutely no strength once you break it down. There are FAR too many changes in this game to be a port. There are far too many added characters, stages, and gameplay features to be a port. It's fundamentally altered despite being very similar with the same basic gameplay underneath it. 

You can call it what ever you like, a enhanced port of a new game, but here is a video of hardcore smash players, asking if its smash 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQRcFvnaJ00&t=92s

Lonely_Dolphin said:
irstupid said:

What difference does it make if this game is a port or not? Might as well go into a topic and argue that the switch is a handheld or a home console. Does it matter?

As for why it's a new game, these are my reasons. New fighting mechanics, new characters to the series and from earlier games returning, improved graphics, subtitled game, Nintendo and Sakurai say its a new game, it's on a new system, every other port they have released they have made it clear its a port.

Seriously the only argument people have that it is a port is that it looks similar to the last game. Returning characters or stages is not indicative of a port when talking about fighter games.

I think you should have quoted someone else. I already said it doesn't matter and that arguing it will get nowhere. Also pretty hypocritical of you to say that then go on and argue that it's a new game. You are being ignorant if you believe that's the one reason why some people don't see it as a new game.

I just put my thoughts because I was typing in this topic, not that I'm going to argue with someone one way or another.

Just as I believe the Switch is a hybrid. I have reasons why I think it is so, and I could list them. But I'm not going to argue or try to convince anyone else its a hybrid, handheld or home console.

Just as me listed why I think this is a  new game does mean I'm trying to convince anyone of my point. It's like reviewing a video game. If I write a review and give a game a 8/10, that is my view. I'm not out to convince the rest of the world that it is a 8/10 and any other score is wrong.

That's how I see these argument. It's moot and pointless. You can have your opinion on whether its a port or a new game, but that doesn't make it fact. The only fact we have is Nintendo calling it a new game and not a port. Does that make it so? NO, but it sure makes a stronger case than whatever joe blow says online.

Gamexplain just posted a video saying every stage has new lighting and textures. Which just further disproves this port nonsense. I was actually surprised how much better smash ultimate looks in the comparison video, especially considering how they are comparing compressed video to a finished game.
https://youtu.be/O4R8FakDJ6s

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
pikashoe said:
Gamexplain just posted a video saying every stage has new lighting and textures. Which just further disproves this port nonsense. I was actually surprised how much better smash ultimate looks in the comparison video, especially considering how they are comparing compressed video to a finished game.

And since Smash Bros. Ultimate isn't finished yet it'll look even better by it's launch! :D

What makes this funny is that he describes the stages in older games as ports and how they went the extra mile in this game.

pikashoe said:

The difference is quite substantial, this hole discussion reminds me of the time when Splatoon 2 was just announced.

btw everyone who uses the "no-new-engine" argument, doesn't know anything about software development.

pikashoe said:
CaptainExplosion said:

And since Smash Bros. Ultimate isn't finished yet it'll look even better by it's launch! :D

What makes this funny is that he describes the stages in older games as ports and how they went the extra mile in this game.

The biggest difference is on Bridge of Eldin, the background scenery is so much better on Switch.

Signature goes here!

Going forward I'm going to use the term "enhanced remaster compilation." That more closely describes what this is in my eyes than enhanced port does. It's laughably long but eh!

EDIT: Compilation instead of collection.

Last edited by Lonely_Dolphin - on 13 June 2018

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Going forward I'm going to use the term "enhanced remaster collection." That more closely describes what this is in my eyes than enhanced port does. It's laughably long but eh!

Why not just call it Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Whether its a port, new game, remaster, collection, ect its the ULTIMATE edition.