By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Ultimate is not a port... and not a brand new game?

Would you say Smash Ultimate is...

A port 18 14.75%

A brand new game 74 60.66%

A compilation 23 18.85%

Something else 7 5.74%

Total:122
MrWayne said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Oh wow, surprised someone actually agrees!

21 people voted for compilation, so we're not alone. :D

Well it's not just a compilation, I actually voted for something else as none of the terms fit by themselves.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
MrWayne said:

21 people voted for compilation, so we're not alone. :D

Well it's not just a compilation, I actually voted for something else as none of the terms fit by themselves.

Oh...I guess then we're not friends anymore.

MrWayne said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Oh...I guess then we're not friends anymore.

Eh, I'm used to that. :L

Hiku said:

Except I did discuss the point you threw in red herrings to try and save your point and kept tripping over them funny you keep saying I'll leave blah blah yet here you are again, Hbox is not part of the FGC either the Smash community and FGC are two separate entities, I'll dig up the links for SFV in a bit but if you think those comments are made because they back your agenda you're kidding yourself because they said the same about S4

Lets even look at the Smash Boards back at S4's release

https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-bros-4-is-brawl-2-0.370154/

Now lets look at a reddit post by a pro using the same type of terminally for S4

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2ryvzt/smash_4_is_turning_out_like_brawl_20_thats/

See a pattern now, what's funny is the pro player edited his post to say the Brawl 2.0 term he used doesn't mean what people thought because they were taking his words in a literal the same way you're trying to use Hbox's I'm going to bet if he was asked he'd say the same thing as this guy.

Hiku said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Have you come up with any definition you think suits the game, since yesterday?

Yep going with Enhanced Remastered Compilation. Enhanced covers the small amount of new content/features and balance tweaks, Compilation as it combines a substantial amount of content from all Smash games, and said content has been updated and modernized hence Remaster. Yes it's silly n overly long, but you can't tell me it's not accurate!

Around the Network
MrWayne said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Going forward I'm going to use the term "enhanced remaster compilation." That more closely describes what this is in my eyes than enhanced port does. It's laughably long but eh!

EDIT: Compilation instead of collection.

SSB Ultimate is to all the previous SSB games that what Alive 2007 is to all the previous Daft Punk albums. "enhanced remaster compilation" is a very accurate description of what this game wants to be.

Wrong. 

Why are people bending over backwards to accept that this is a sequel? What makes THIS game so much different from the difference between other fighters or sports games or even previous Smash games? IT has the same damn changes/enhancements that the other games in the series had such as tweaks to the balancing, different moves and smashes, different final smashes, new items, new stages, new characters, new game modes, new display features, AS WELL AS all the prior fighters. 

Literally the only thing that even remotely outs this as a 'remaster' is that all the old characters are coming back..but that's tossed when the characters are altered in significant ways and the fact that there's also new characters and stages an dmodes never seen in prior games. 

The mental gymnastics in this thread are so impressive we should start an olympic sport for it. 

Is Forza Motorsport 6 a port of Forza Motorsport 5?

Is Gran Turismo 6 a port of Gran Turismo 5?

Those games reuse much of the content of their immediate predecessors, but add new material, retooled mechanics, and upgraded graphics. Smash Ultimate is the same, albeit with an even bigger visual update due to being on stronger hardware.

TruckOSaurus said:

Well they could have improved it for Wii U but didn't.

Not with these graphics they couldn't.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 June 2018

Hiku said:

Going to a tournament doesn't make you part of the FGC as anyone can go you just register and pay the fee the local milkman can turn up on the day and enter, go ahead and go to any FGC boards and tell them the Smash community is part of them you'll be destroyed with in minutes as the two communities are more rivals that co-exist, tournaments are organised by TOs who don't care about the rivalry they just want the numbers as that generates money and sponsors. Smash Community however organise their own tournaments this is why you don't see the likes of SF or Tekken at events like Pound and Summit.

Those links highlight that Hbox's used of words is nothing new for the Smash community when ever something doesn't play like Melee you what Melee players say? It's previous game 2.0 or .5 those links highlights they've been doing this for over a decade and how his comments don't back your own stance as all he knows to play is Melee talk to any Smash 4 follower they'll tell you straight Hbox isn't relevant in S4 the top players in S4 are Zero, Nario Leo etc... Zero said it in his interview in that Melee players don't like playing anything not like Melee and he was a Melee player himself. Zero's interview on the game even describes it best in that the game has a similar neutral game to Smash 4 but is more aggression based so a Melee player would obviously compare it to S4.

Someone with relevance in the S4 community and Melee community TK refers to the game as Smash 5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx2daAVBv90

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 13 June 2018

Hiku said:
curl-6 said:

Is Forza Motorsport 6 a port of Forza Motorsport 5?

Is Gran Turismo 6 a port of Gran Turismo 5?

Those games reuse much of the content of their immediate predecessors, but add new material, retooled mechanics, and upgraded graphics. Smash Ultimate is the same, albeit with an even bigger visual update due to being on stronger hardware.

I didn't play Gran Turismo 6, partially because it didn't seem like a big step up from GT5. But if anyone wanted to call it GT 5.5, not sure if I would contest it.
FIFA is definitely at version 7.3 or something, after 30 years. lol

Though I wouldn't call Smash 4.5 either. If anything, more like 4.8 (Shoutouts to Kingdom Hearts), but jokes aside I think a more specific description is in order.
Simply calling it a port is definitely misleading, in a similar manner to how saying that FF7 is episodic caused a lot of misconception. Because when they hear episodic, many thought TellTale Games. And when people hear port, they think about 

I simply don't see how Smash Ultimate is in any way less of a sequel than previous Smash entries, or other franchises like Forza, Mario Kart, Gran Turismo, COD, or Splatoon.

I mean, does a game have to have no reused content at all to be considered not a port? If that was the case, we might as well say every game from the aforementioned franchises is a port bar the original.

Alara317 said:
MrWayne said:

SSB Ultimate is to all the previous SSB games that what Alive 2007 is to all the previous Daft Punk albums. "enhanced remaster compilation" is a very accurate description of what this game wants to be.

Wrong. 

Why are people bending over backwards to accept that this is a sequel? What makes THIS game so much different from the difference between other fighters or sports games or even previous Smash games? IT has the same damn changes/enhancements that the other games in the series had such as tweaks to the balancing, different moves and smashes, different final smashes, new items, new stages, new characters, new game modes, new display features, AS WELL AS all the prior fighters. 

Literally the only thing that even remotely outs this as a 'remaster' is that all the old characters are coming back..but that's tossed when the characters are altered in significant ways and the fact that there's also new characters and stages an dmodes never seen in prior games. 

The mental gymnastics in this thread are so impressive we should start an olympic sport for it. 

I like your approach to maintain a healthy discussion.

Not.

Sakurai said it himself, their goal for this game is to create the ultimate Smash package and therefore they focused a lot less on completely new things.

but is it a new game? yes of course, it's neither Smash4, nor brawl, nor melee, nor 64, SSBU is all of them together.