7 35 17.07%

6 35 17.07%

5 29 14.15%

4 22 10.73%

3 18 8.78%

2 6 2.93%

1 18 8.78%

Total:205

I gave it a 5/10. Still kinda undecided.

Pros:
+ Fire Emblem looked great.
+ Daemon Machina X looked pretty interesting

Cons:
- Everything was ports
- Not sure who thought it was a good idea to spend more than half of your presentation reading through the player's manual of Smash

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

This wasn't as bad as everyone is saying wtf.. If it didn't leak this presentation is worth atleast a 7-8. There is so much games coming in the next months, animal crossing and Starfox aren't there, welp just wait a couple months they are still on the way.

I do think the Smash segment was way too long and it needed a big game announcement after it but other than that we got lots of announcements and dates, just a shame stuff got leaked.

7/10 for me.

Jon-Erich said:
KLAMarine said:

That's cool. E3 has long since stopped informing my purchase and gaming decisions.

Also, the prospect of playing a new Mario Party with friends and family sounds like tons of fun! It's been so long.

Let's be honest. E3 has never really been a factor is gamers deciding what to buy. Sega Saturn's forced Spring 1995 launch was one of many factor's that led to that system's failure and it would have happened with or without E3. Sony's $600 PS3 was going to be a turnoff to gamers wether there was an E3 or not. Nintendo had arguably their worst E3 in 2008 and yet that turned out to be one of their most financially prosperous years ever. Microsoft's piss poor show at E3 2010 didn't matter because Kinect sold well that year. Xbox One in 2013 would have sold poorly regardless of of E3.

Well I can't speak for others but I know if there's one thing that has turned me off about E3 is when someone is talking to me about a video game or video games. My time is very valuable to me, just show me the damn trailer with some gameplay, few minutes in length, and I'll be on my way.

Don't waste my time!

I'd much rather just look at a store shelf or digital storefront, look at the games, look up gameplay, and go from there on my own. Most of my game purchases went down that way. No need for a 30-minute commercial with someone running their mouth.

/rant

That was... empty! Empty of everything that could build a solid future for the Switch.
- There's no effort put in first party games, Smash Ultimate is SmashU ver. 2.0, FE 3 Houses looks incredibly poor in terms of graphics even compared to small-budget PS4 RPGs
- No Bayonetta, no Metroid Prime 4
- Paywall for Mew is just shameful
- 3rd parties aren't interested at all. I've been saying that 3rd party sales haven't been good on Switch and no one believed me. Here's the result today : just 3 new games including 2 ports. End of year is barren as hell.

Seriously, how can anyone say that Switch can have sustainable success now?

I don't see how FE Three Houses looks bad, it looks fine to me in terms of art design and animation.

Around the Network

For me, this E3 was the worst in recent memory. Maybe my expectations were too high but I think everybody besides Microsoft and Bethesda had better showings last year.

My personal ratings:

Microsoft: 9/10 - Conference setup and pace were close to perfect. We got a new Halo (even though that's probably a long way off), 3 Gears games and Forza Horizon 4. There were a lot of 3rd party games but I don't mind that when we're talking about games like Cyberpunk, Sekiro, Fallout 76, Metro Exodus, Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry 5, Dying Light 2 and Battlefield 5. Only thing missing was an exciting new IP or megaton revival like Perfect Dark or Fable.

Bethesda: 8/10 - Conference was held back by a dull rock concert and too many awkward pauses. Content was top notch though. Bethesda fans literally got everything. New chapters announced in Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, DOOM, Wolfenstein and Rage as well as an exciting new IP in Starfield. Better conference setup and more gameplay in general would've improved the rating.

Ubisoft: 7.5/10 - Conference was top notch but content was a little lacking. Maybe I'm just being spoiled but Ubisoft usually ends the conference by announcing either a big new IP or a megaton revival. I admire that they show so much gameplay but it mostly felt like updates for already announced or released games. If they hadn't leaked/shown The Division 2, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, The Crew 2 and Mario + Rabbids: Donkey Kong Adventures beforehand and had shown gameplay of Beyond Good & Evil 2, it would've been close to a 9/10 for me. With Splinter Cell or a big new IP on top would've made it a 10/10.

Sony: 7/10 - Conference was held back by weird setup and pace. They had the winning formula in 2015 and 2016 but for some reason decided to focus on very few games and unnecessary talks (without the actual developers). I really liked what I saw from TLOU2, Ghost, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Resident Evil 2, Control and Nioh 2 but what makes me primarily a PlayStation gamer is the variety of the (exclusive) library. Sony has so many varied games coming up but for some reason they only want to focus on their 3rd person action games. What about Spyro, MediEvil Remake, the secret Bluepoint game, Babylon's Fall, FF7 Remake, Shenmue 3, Yakuza 6, Ace Combat 7, Dead or Alive 6, GT Sport's Summer update, Concrete Genie, Blood and Truth, Déraciné, etc. If we had had less talk, more games and that 1 huge surprise (RE2 was already announced), the rating would've been better.

Nintendo: 5/10 - This could've been a Smash Bros. Direct. I liked the extensive look at Smash Bros. Ultimate. It really is shaping up to be the ultimate fighting game with a huge number of characters and details. With that said I'm somewhat disappointed that it's a port of Smash 4 with some extra content and updated graphics. Beside from Super Mario Party, we didn't really get anything new. If we'd seen anything from Pokémon 2019, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Shin Megami Tensei V, Yo-kai Watch 4, Good-Feel's new Yoshi game or Retro's new game, the rating would've easily been better.

Square Enix: 4/10 - My expectations were high for SE's conference because of their broad and varied library of both Japanese and Western games. I thought they would go all in and bring KH3, FF7 Remake, DQ XI, DQ Builders 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Just Cause 4, Life is Stange 2, The Avengers Project, Left Alive, and People Can Fly's AAA shooter but we only got 4 of those. Platinum's Babylon's Fall looked promising but it was the only new announcement. If they hadn't leaked/shown everything else beforehand, the rating would've been better.

EA: 3/10 - At this point, I don't even think EA is trying to cater to gamers. Their conferences feel like reruns with the same boring talk about this year's "revolutionary" sports titles. They sit on so many great IPs (rip C&C) and sometimes they even have the content to make an interesting show but.. they're just not capable of delivering. They're just a bunch of uncreative and investor-driven suits who invite indie developers in the hope of giving the show some kind of pulse and personality. As a huge fan of the Jedi Knight-series, I hope Respawn's Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order will be a worthy spiritual successor but I won't hold my breath. I know there are many fans of the sports titles and Battlefield, Anthem and the indie games could turn out worthwhile. Though in order to go higher than 3/10, EA would have to actually make an effort regarding the setup, pace and content of the conference.

Other Nintendo fans always get shitty attitudes every time they're reminded that E3 is neither as big of a day or as relevant to Nintendo as these certain fans seem to think it is.

First of all, there's a large portion of Nintendo fans that act like only the Direct is important; even though the Treehouse segment is generally where the bulk of info occurs. They also expect that the Direct should have some kind of in-depth look on like 70 games across every single Nintendo franchise; but even that would be disappointing without an in depth look into most of the 1200 or so third party games coming out in the next year, along with all features and such planned for the Switch. When they don't get this, they fuss and whine as though Nintendo is doomed.

The E3 Nintendo Direct is often not Nintendo's best Direct of the year, either. So it's a little ridiculous acting like it is supposed to be; and even more ridiclous acting like it is the only Direct that matters.

When did the Nintendo fanbase turn into a bunch of overdramatic 3-year olds. In a nutshell, 1/3rd to 1/2 of Nintendo's fanbase has become the equivalent of this: "Daddy! Daddy! I wanna see the Didney film at the cinema!" "It's not there." "WHAAAAAAAH Why idn't it thewe! I WANNA SEE LION KING NOW!!!!!" "We're going to see what they have" *later* "WAAAAAAAH, WAAAAAH! I WANNA GET CANDY! WHY CAN'T I HAVE CANDY!" *later* "WAAAAAAAH, da seat es too hard! Da sound es too loud! Why es da film not to da good pawt yet? I WANTED BLUUUE CANDDDDY!!!!!" "Why es da film over?! I WANT MORE WAAAAAAAAH" etc...

Also, I'm sorry, but I have to facepalm at the youtube channels that say stuff like "it is like Christmas to video game fans" - what the hell does that even mean? Christmas is Christmas to video game fans. E3 is one of the many shows where company representatives show off some of their games.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

pikashoe said:
bigtakilla said:

added new modes like 8 player Smash, added For Glory and For Fun, added online tournament mode, added stage creator, changed the speed of fighting to not be as slow as Brawl but not as fast a melee, added stage bosses such as metalface in gaur planes, added Amiibo support, was the first hd 1080p 60fps Smash. Off the top of my head.

How do you know this game won't have any new features? Do you think they spoiled everything about the game 6 months from launch?

Brawl had a stage creator. I wouldn't really call most of what you said changing the formula. Nice little additions but far from changing the formula.

I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

Kai_Mao said:
I don't see how FE Three Houses looks bad, it looks fine to me in terms of art design and animation.

Jumpin said:
Other Nintendo fans always get shitty attitudes every time they're reminded that E3 is neither as big of a day or as relevant to Nintendo as these certain fans seem to think it is.

First of all, there's a large portion of Nintendo fans that act like only the Direct is important; even though the Treehouse segment is generally where the bulk of info occurs. They also expect that the Direct should have some kind of in-depth look on like 70 games across every single Nintendo franchise; but even that would be disappointing without an in depth look into most of the 1200 or so third party games coming out in the next year, along with all features and such planned for the Switch. When they don't get this, they fuss and whine as though Nintendo is doomed.

The E3 Nintendo Direct is often not Nintendo's best Direct of the year, either. So it's a little ridiculous acting like it is supposed to be; and even more ridiclous acting like it is the only Direct that matters.

When did the Nintendo fanbase turn into a bunch of overdramatic 3-year olds. In a nutshell, 1/3rd to 1/2 of Nintendo's fanbase has become the equivalent of this: "Daddy! Daddy! I wanna see the Didney film at the cinema!" "It's not there." "WHAAAAAAAH Why idn't it thewe! I WANNA SEE LION KING NOW!!!!!" "We're going to see what they have" *later* "WAAAAAAAH, WAAAAAH! I WANNA GET CANDY! WHY CAN'T I HAVE CANDY!" *later* "WAAAAAAAH, da seat es too hard! Da sound es too loud! Why es da film not to da good pawt yet? I WANTED BLUUUE CANDDDDY!!!!!" "Why es da film over?! I WANT MORE WAAAAAAAAH" etc...

Also, I'm sorry, but I have to facepalm at the youtube channels that say stuff like "it is like Christmas to video game fans" - what the hell does that even mean? Christmas is Christmas to video game fans. E3 is one of the many shows where company representatives show off some of their games.

This post is probably the most offensively hyperbolic of any in this thread, positive or negative, yet. Congratulations on your achievement.