Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us 2 Gameplay and Death Stranding Trailer

Heavenly_King said:
since Ellie is the only playable character I dont give a damn about TLOU2. I really dont know what the fu(k naughty dog is thinking.

She's not the ONLY playable character, she's the main playable character. Last game Joel was the main playable character. They are just mixing things up a little otherwise it would just be more of the same. Naughty Dog now that, so they've taken another angle. Kudos to them.

When you had to play Ellie in the first game did you suddenly throw down the controller in disgust and take your game back?? I doubt it very much, but If you did then you aren't a real gamer and lover of exceptional story telling.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
quickrick said:

Real gameplay as in just walking? When i talk about gameplay, i wanna see how the game plays and what fun about playing it. As for kojima marketing its never been this bad, MGS debut have alway been impressive, and this is the second E3 the game is shown, and we still have no idea about what the gameplay is like, except for walking beautiful environments it's ridiculous. 

Kojima has definitely been this kryptic before. Death Stranding is nothing new. He was just like this between MGS2 and 3. As for gameplay, what you saw was "real", even if you didn't like it.

I trust who's in charge. He's yet to let me down.

The thing you are not understanding now, is that those cryptic teaser/videos he released before; and all that weird, but good marketing; was about a well established franchise, in which people already knew the core mechanics of the game.  So right now Kojima is being crptic as fu(K; BUT on a new IP, so people dont know what the game is, nor how it played since there have not been any other game in that franchise.

That is why people cant take into a context much greater what they saw on the video, for most people the whole context is the video; in which the character just walked.   Kojima should have explained after the video ended that he just showed the "stealth" in the game since you can fight those creatures too.   But I guess the weird Sony format of the conferece did not allow it.

Heavenly_King said:
CGI-Quality said:

Kojima has definitely been this kryptic before. Death Stranding is nothing new. He was just like this between MGS2 and 3. As for gameplay, what you saw was "real", even if you didn't like it.

I trust who's in charge. He's yet to let me down.

The thing you are not understanding now, is that those cryptic teaser/videos he released before; and all that weird, but good marketing; was about a well established franchise, in which people already knew the core mechanics of the game.  So right now Kojima is being crptic as fu(K; BUT on a new IP, so people dont know what the game is, nor how it played since there have not been any other game in that franchise.

That is why people cant take into a context much greater what they saw on the video, for most people the whole context is the video; in which the character just walked.   Kojima should have explained after the video ended that he just showed the "stealth" in the game since you can fight those creatures too.   But I guess the weird Sony format of the conferece did not allow it.

I totally understand the difference, but because it’s Kojima, he’s gonna do it his way. And, it’s working, as lots of people are talking about the game.

And there are interviews with him after the trailer aired. I suggest watching them.

CartBlanche said:
Heavenly_King said:
since Ellie is the only playable character I dont give a damn about TLOU2. I really dont know what the fu(k naughty dog is thinking.

She's not the ONLY playable character, she's the main playable character. Last game Joel was the main playable character. They are just mixing things up a little otherwise it would just be more of the same. Naughty Dog now that, so they've taken another angle. Kudos to them.

When you had to play Ellie in the first game did you suddenly throw down the controller in disgust and take your game back?? I doubt it very much, but If you did then you aren't a real gamer and lover of exceptional story telling.

They said in an interview Ellie is the only playable character.  If by the end they decide to include him it will be for a 10% or even less, considering you are most likely also playing as the mother of Ellie (the manly woman in the previous trailer), because they said that the story will have "some time swaps" or something like that, making clear you will play in different time periods.  I wanted to play most of the game as Joel, just like in the first part.

For me the core of the franchise was the journey of how Joel from being just a psychopath begins recovering  his human nature through the curse of the game; and Ellie was just a tool to make that happen.  Ellie was a sidekick and nothing more.

I simply just dont care about the game anymore.

The Last of Us 2 gameplay was so perfectly scripted I can't imagine that's how the game actually plays. Still, if it's a repeat of stealth action, improvisational gunplay, and on-the-fly-crafting, then I'm on board.

As for Death Stranding, it's essentially the black and white ad from the "Mr. Plow" episode of The Simpsons:

Around the Network

I just think Kojima is being annoying. I don't think anyone is really saying Death Stranding will definitely be bad. Just that it's disappointing to have this pretentious circle jerk. Sure it's to "stir up discussion". But you know what stirs up discussion? A fucking good trailer.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I just think Kojima is being annoying. I don't think anyone is really saying Death Stranding will definitely be bad. Just that it's disappointing to have this pretentious circle jerk. Sure it's to "stir up discussion". But you know what stirs up discussion? A fucking good trailer.

"Pretentious circle jerk". Help me understand where and how that's happening.

Side Note: The trailer must have been "fucking good" then. :)

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 15 June 2018

CGI-Quality said:

Nah. Bad trailers and good ones can stir up discussion easily. It's quite easy to do that actually (see: Battlefield 5 and Call of Duty)

You know exactly where and how that's happening Just because you don't agree doesn't mean you can't understand that perspective. C'mon, this is like if someone came up to me and said David Lynch is pretentious. I might disagree, but I can understand how they came to that conclusion.

CGI-Quality said:

Nah. Bad trailers and good ones can stir up discussion easily. It's quite easy to do that actually (see: Battlefield 5 and Call of Duty)

You know exactly where and how that's happening Just because you don't agree doesn't mean you can't understand that perspective. C'mon, this is like if someone came up to me and said David Lynch is pretentious. I might disagree, but I can understand how they came to that conclusion.

If bad and good trailers stir up discussion, your original point tells only half the story. But, it's now noted.

As for Kojima's "pretentiousness" - tell me how. The David Lynch reference does nothing for me.

CGI-Quality said:

Kojima is pretentious? Tell me how. The David Lynch reference does nothing for me.

...This doesn't even need an explanation. If you can't see it you just can't. 

My point is that I definitely think this marketing scheme is annoying .. but not because the game is bad or because Kojima is bad. It will probably be a great game. It's just because the smoke and mirrors is annoying, we get it already, move on to the content.