By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Starlink overall idea could be used to make a great Starfox game

After Star Fox was announced as a guest character for this game, I took a better look at all the footage we got from the game.And yeah, while we will obviously get a much better idea of what the game will be like in the next few days, if you take away the toys part, Starlink overall idea could have made for an excellent Star Fox game.I mean, look at the space fights, then you have the movements from the ships, which would innovate the gameplay idea of Starfox by not making it be solely a on rails game(you can hover around and "dodge" enemy attacks).And the game seems to be going for a strong narrative.

If Nintendo wishes to do so in the future and take the concept idea of Starlink and apply to Starfox, we could be seeing a rebirth of the IP.I mean, Retro might be doing that already, but Im seeing this as if that wasnt true.So what do you guys think?

Edit: Footage of some of the gameplay from Starlink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=224&v=ZsuNdcN89EA

Last edited by Nautilus - on 11 June 2018

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

I think we saw with the Wii-U that Nintendo doesn't want to make a game that just uses modern tech and the bigger scale that comes with that.

areason said:
I think we saw with the Wii-U that Nintendo doesn't want to make a game that just uses modern tech and the bigger scale that comes with that.

Have you ever heard about a game called The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild? 

If not, google it. It's a very interesting one.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

If Starlink turns out good, Nintendo should let Ubisoft devs make a full fledged Star Fox Game instead of making it themselves.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

LipeJJ said:
areason said:

Have you ever heard about a game called The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild? 

If not, google it. It's a very interesting one.

Did you read that this thread is about Star Fox?

Only reason the franchise got another game on Wii-U was due to the new way to play which came from the game pad.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Nautilus said:

After Star Fox was announced as a guest character for this game, I took a better look at all the footage we got from the game.And yeah, while we will obviously get a much better idea of what the game will be like in the next few days, if you take away the toys part, Starlink overall idea could have made for an excellent Star Fox game.I mean, look at the space fights, then you have the movements from the ships, which would innovate the gameplay idea of Starfox by not making it be solely a on rails game(you can hover around and "dodge" enemy attacks).And the game seems to be going for a strong narrative.

Yeah, I guess Star Fox never had any kind of open ended moments where you can dodge enemy attacks and hover around...

And this whole "Ubisoft makes a better Star Fox than Nintendo" is also pretty dumb considering Nintendo hasn't made a Star Fox game for 20 years, and the one they did make is still considered a great game. Sure, you can say Zero turned out like it did more due to Miyamoto than Platinum, but it was still Platinum who made it.

Personally, I'm quite perplexed by this announcement. I wasn't even watching the presentation and had no idea what was going on when my friends started shouting "STAR FOX" everywhere, which was deflating to me as I was expecting the Star Fox announcement this E3 to be the Retro game tomorrow. Of course, that could still happen, but if it doesn't it'll be far more disappointing now - I'd rather not see a franchise at all than see it only show up as a cameo in some random third-party game, especially if said franchise's future is highly uncertain.

I just hope the whole Retro thing is still on.

Well, I didnt play every single StarFox game, but if I never heard anything about the hover and dodges and all, it must probably be because these games werent anything special.

I just dont get this hostility.It dosent matter if Nintendo didnt develop internally Star Fox for how many years, what matters is that they have mismanaged the IP, thats all.And when I saw more of Starlink, I thought that this game could bring in fresh ideas to the IP that could really make it work.

Anyways, thats more of an idea for a future title, assuming that Retro game is true.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

I kind of think Starlight is supposed to be a substitute for Starfox. Instead of Nintendo making their own game they are just letting Ubisoft use their IP. Of course, Nintendo could prove me wrong tomorrow. We'll see.

mZuzek said:
Nautilus said:

Well, I didnt play every single StarFox game, but if I never heard anything about the hover and dodges and all, it must probably be because these games werent anything special.

I just dont get this hostility.It dosent matter if Nintendo didnt develop internally Star Fox for how many years, what matters is that they have mismanaged the IP, thats all.And when I saw more of Starlink, I thought that this game could bring in fresh ideas to the IP that could really make it work.

Anyways, thats more of an idea for a future title, assuming that Retro game is true.

It's been around since Star Fox 64, and if Star Fox 64 wasn't anything special then no Star Fox game is. Of course, I'm sure there's some difference between SF64's all-range mode and whatever Starlink does (I just can't bother watching it), but if there's one thing you can't call it, it's "on rails".

Nintendo definitely mismanaged the IP during the 2000's. This decade, well, there's only been one game so far, but I wouldn't say they're mismanaging the franchise right now as much as they just mismanaged one game. There's a considerable difference there - Star Fox Zero might be a flawed game, but it doesn't really screw up the IP as a whole, something Star Fox Adventures definitely did.

And of course, Retro's game, if real, wouldn't be really franchise-defining because it is just a racing spin-off. So, there.

Don't be annoyed at the hostility. Take it like this: I've been wanting to talk about this here since I saw the announcement, but because there's no reaction threads, I'd have to go on the general Ubisoft Conference thread, which I wouldn't do because 1. everyone else was already talking about AC at the time, and 2. those kinds of threads are better suited to short posts rather than long ones. They're also the place for people to hype shit up and express their excitement, and I wouldn't want to go there just to be a party pooper. So, the moment I saw someone make a thread on this, well, it was time for thought dumping.

Star Fox 64 was the last great Star Fox game and the only masterpiece in the franchise.Being honest, thats also the only entry I have ever played, and I loved to hell.But Im sorry, Star Foy, at least as far as 64 and Zero is concerned, is on rails.Yeah sure that it has its all range mode at times, but it is a pretty much rails game.This is not an issue by itself, and it surely wasnt when 64 launched.That game was simply flawless.The problem is, Starfox can do more, become more.I dont mean that it cant have the on rails moments and occasional all range modes that are mostly exclusive to an area for that specific moment.Star Fox Zero would be a good game without the messy controls, but it would still only just be an okay game.Starfox needs and deserves better.

And for it to reach that status, it needs to be reinvented, like Mario and Zelda are every once in a while.It needs to grow in another words.And I feel like what Starlink does is what Starfox should do in order to achieve that.Of course it would need the Nintendo touch and it would make for an even better game, but the ground work is there.And Im sorry, but If you arent willing to watch the gameplay of the game, I wont be able to argue with you and it will feel like that Im just trying to discuss with someone that is stuck in his ways.

And who said Retro game is a spin off?The way that i see it, if Retro game is successful, and I mean really successful, that will become the future of Starfox, or at least that will define the main series, with maybe the occasional spin off that plays in the classic way.Starfox has been having so much difficulty to become mainstream again, that Nintendo probably gave it to Retro to reinvent it.They probably said "you can do whatever you want and if it works, thats what starfox is going to be from here on out".

About the stupid rule about no thread to express what you think my advice is:Just ignore it.Its a foolish decision.They want to stop the forum from being overloaded with threads, but few threads are being made.So just go for it.

When you have a beloved and well-established franchise, and a third party starts from scratch, and executes it much better than shoehorning awkward controls and providing low budget and scope.

Mar1217 said:

I do think Nintendo could contract another dev,again from Ubi, since it seems like the only publisher to make decent usage of Nintendo IP's thus far since Rare.

Capcom did a fantastic job with the Zelda games on handhelds. That was long ago though, now they suck.