By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Micorosft Studios E3 Expansion - 5 New 1st Party Studios (Ninja Theory, Playground Games, Undead Labs)

Faelco said:
DonFerrari said:
As I said in the other thread, this is a very good step on fulfilling the promise of improved 1st party.
And it's easier to increase bought studios than create from scrap, so this can really go well.
But as other said, we need to see if they will get chance to shine with AAA games.

Yeah, it is a good move but with a couple of questions. 

Most of these studios were already developing exclusively for Xbox, so was it necessary to buy them? 

The main question for me is that the number of studios were not the most important issue for Xbox so far. It was their way of dealing with their exclusive games. Phantom Dust, Scalebound, Fable Legends, Crackdown 3... You can also add that the games that do release are not of the best quality (Sea of thieves, State of Decay 2...). It can't be only because of the studios, Microsoft and their orders to the studios are also to blame here (focus on MP and GaaS for example). So, will Microsoft be able to help these new studios to grow and make great games? I'm not sure about that, but only time will tell. 

My exact thoughts. Who cares if they buy studios. It's about the management of those studios and what kind of games they pump out. This gen has given me little confidence on those things. And I think a lot of gamers are going to be wary of picking up just an XB2 if they can get just one console.

Personally, I see a repeat of this gen. Sony just has the mindshare, services install base, and goodwill going forward. And they are going to make to not repeat the mistakes of the PS3. This also means a good couple of years worth of Xbox 1st party support, but as the sales don't come in, it'll start to dry up. 

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
Another issue that Microsoft has with their 1st party is that they aren't really exclusives. Most, if not all of them, are also available on PC so it weakens the point of getting an Xbox when you could save up more money to get a gaming PC to get the best performance from these games.
When it comes to Sony and Nintendo, most, if not all of their main, important, first party games can only be played on their systems.
If I want to play Uncharted, InFamous, Horizon, Spider-Man, Gran Turismo, God of War, and Last of Us, I have to get a PS4. No ifs, ands, or buts.
If I want to play Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Smash Bros, I have to get a Switch. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Microsoft doesn't care if you give them money through the Windows Store or on Xbox...

Teeqoz said:
PAOerfulone said:
Another issue that Microsoft has with their 1st party is that they aren't really exclusives. Most, if not all of them, are also available on PC so it weakens the point of getting an Xbox when you could save up more money to get a gaming PC to get the best performance from these games.
When it comes to Sony and Nintendo, most, if not all of their main, important, first party games can only be played on their systems.
If I want to play Uncharted, InFamous, Horizon, Spider-Man, Gran Turismo, God of War, and Last of Us, I have to get a PS4. No ifs, ands, or buts.
If I want to play Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Smash Bros, I have to get a Switch. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Microsoft doesn't care if you give them money through the Windows Store or on Xbox...

True. But, it does make it less necessary to buy a XBO/XB2. And this is from the very start of the gen. Not a few years after having true exclusives. Can't be good for HW sales. 

They should just prepare and develop for the next Xbox. That way, they might pull a Switch and come out swinging next gen.

routsounmanman said:
They should just prepare and develop for the next Xbox. That way, they might pull a Switch and come out swinging next gen.

Next Console will Launch with Halo Infinite so that will be big, 2019 is looking better than 2018 as well but by 2020 they could have Rare's New IP, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, Ninja Theory's 1st game and possibly more.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Faelco said:

Most of these studios were already developing exclusively for Xbox, so was it necessary to buy them? 

The main question for me is that the number of studios were not the most important issue for Xbox so far. It was their way of dealing with their exclusive games. Phantom Dust, Scalebound, Fable Legends, Crackdown 3... You can also add that the games that do release are not of the best quality (Sea of thieves, State of Decay 2...). It can't be only because of the studios, Microsoft and their orders to the studios are also to blame here (focus on MP and GaaS for example). So, will Microsoft be able to help these new studios to grow and make great games? I'm not sure about that, but only time will tell. 

My exact thoughts. Who cares if they buy studios. It's about the management of those studios and what kind of games they pump out. This gen has given me little confidence on those things. And I think a lot of gamers are going to be wary of picking up just an XB2 if they can get just one console.

Personally, I see a repeat of this gen. Sony just has the mindshare, services install base, and goodwill going forward. And they are going to make to not repeat the mistakes of the PS3. This also means a good couple of years worth of Xbox 1st party support, but as the sales don't come in, it'll start to dry up. 

hahahahaha and let me guess, MS will kill Xbox then?

I mean, that is what you predict since 2011!

Oh boy, I love you.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I wonder with there new studio Initiative, if they will give them a old IP to work on as a practice game, like the Coalition with Gears 4 and Playground with the rumoured Fable 4. Curious to know if this studio might handle the next Perfect Dark game.. Yeah I know, I am dying for a PD game, and I am not giving up hope.

thismeintiel said:
Faelco said:

It wouldn’t be a Microsoft thread without you chiming in with some sort of doomsday prediction about the end of support for Xbox. Maybe one of these days you’ll be right, keep flinging that shit against the wall. Hope you’re wearing gloves :)

Ninja Theory was the biggest surprise, I cant wait to see what they can do when well funded.

thismeintiel said:
Teeqoz said:

True. But, it does make it less necessary to buy a XBO/XB2. And this is from the very start of the gen. Not a few years after having true exclusives. Can't be good for HW sales. 

But hardware sales don't really matter if they increase gaming revenue from other sources.