By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Micorosft Studios E3 Expansion - 5 New 1st Party Studios (Ninja Theory, Playground Games, Undead Labs)

Faelco said:
DonFerrari said:
As I said in the other thread, this is a very good step on fulfilling the promise of improved 1st party.
And it's easier to increase bought studios than create from scrap, so this can really go well.
But as other said, we need to see if they will get chance to shine with AAA games.

Yeah, it is a good move but with a couple of questions. 

Most of these studios were already developing exclusively for Xbox, so was it necessary to buy them? 

The main question for me is that the number of studios were not the most important issue for Xbox so far. It was their way of dealing with their exclusive games. Phantom Dust, Scalebound, Fable Legends, Crackdown 3... You can also add that the games that do release are not of the best quality (Sea of thieves, State of Decay 2...). It can't be only because of the studios, Microsoft and their orders to the studios are also to blame here (focus on MP and GaaS for example). So, will Microsoft be able to help these new studios to grow and make great games? I'm not sure about that, but only time will tell. 

*cough*cough*



Around the Network
EspadaGrim said:
Oh how I love the Hypocrisy of some people saying that MS buying studios is bad and should just build them, Seems like people forget that Sony bought and did not build Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games and Suckerpunch.

I have seem only a single person saying and you could answer directly...

EspadaGrim said:
Sony cancelled Heavenly Sword 2, If they wanted a sequel then they would have made one already. Plus they have multiple studios more than capable enough to develop another Heavenly Sword game.

We haven't ever seem any announvement of a HS2 so how would it be cancelede? source?

Faelco said:
DonFerrari said:
As I said in the other thread, this is a very good step on fulfilling the promise of improved 1st party.
And it's easier to increase bought studios than create from scrap, so this can really go well.
But as other said, we need to see if they will get chance to shine with AAA games.

Yeah, it is a good move but with a couple of questions. 

Most of these studios were already developing exclusively for Xbox, so was it necessary to buy them? 

The main question for me is that the number of studios were not the most important issue for Xbox so far. It was their way of dealing with their exclusive games. Phantom Dust, Scalebound, Fable Legends, Crackdown 3... You can also add that the games that do release are not of the best quality (Sea of thieves, State of Decay 2...). It can't be only because of the studios, Microsoft and their orders to the studios are also to blame here (focus on MP and GaaS for example). So, will Microsoft be able to help these new studios to grow and make great games? I'm not sure about that, but only time will tell. 

Perhaps not necessary but as said in another thread it warrants that they don't lose the games developed there (at least expertise) it also makes it easier for MS to invest in growing them.

But I agree on the Management being a big question mark.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

RoboTin said:
EspadaGrim said:
Oh how I love the Hypocrisy of some people saying that MS buying studios is bad and should just build them, Seems like people forget that Sony bought and did not build Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games and Suckerpunch.

I think people have no issues Microsoft buying Playground games and undead laps who made only exclusive games to xbox one like naughty dog, Guerrilla Games and Suckerpunch did before they were acquired by sony. People probably have more issues the studios that were making multiplat games till today.

Just because Microsoft has purchased a Studio... Doesn't mean that the games being made stop being Multiplatform.
Case in point: Minecraft.



--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

jason1637 said:
Faelco said:

Yeah, it is a good move but with a couple of questions. 

Most of these studios were already developing exclusively for Xbox, so was it necessary to buy them? 

The main question for me is that the number of studios were not the most important issue for Xbox so far. It was their way of dealing with their exclusive games. Phantom Dust, Scalebound, Fable Legends, Crackdown 3... You can also add that the games that do release are not of the best quality (Sea of thieves, State of Decay 2...). It can't be only because of the studios, Microsoft and their orders to the studios are also to blame here (focus on MP and GaaS for example). So, will Microsoft be able to help these new studios to grow and make great games? I'm not sure about that, but only time will tell. 

*cough*cough*

And? What is the relation here? What are you trying to say? 

Did Remedy announce a PS4 game? 



Faelco said:
jason1637 said:

*cough*cough*

And? What is the relation here? What are you trying to say? 

Did Remedy announce a PS4 game? 

Remedy are working on a multiplat game. If MS don't buy studios that are already making exclusives its only a matter of time they decide to do something different.



Around the Network

Another issue that Microsoft has with their 1st party is that they aren't really exclusives. Most, if not all of them, are also available on PC so it weakens the point of getting an Xbox when you could save up more money to get a gaming PC to get the best performance from these games.
When it comes to Sony and Nintendo, most, if not all of their main, important, first party games can only be played on their systems.
If I want to play Uncharted, InFamous, Horizon, Spider-Man, Gran Turismo, God of War, and Last of Us, I have to get a PS4. No ifs, ands, or buts.
If I want to play Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Smash Bros, I have to get a Switch. No ifs, ands, or buts.



jason1637 said:
Faelco said:

And? What is the relation here? What are you trying to say? 

Did Remedy announce a PS4 game? 

Remedy are working on a multiplat game. If MS don't buy studios that are already making exclusives its only a matter of time they decide to do something different.

Oh, OK, I didn't know that there was anything like that confirmed. So yeah, it's surely the best reason they had for buying studios. But it's not really an optimistic one...

"We have to buy them or they will leave us" isn't the best way to start a healthy collaboration IMO. 



Heavenly Sword 2 concept art has been out there for years, they planned on a second one and Sony didn`t greenlight it.



Pemalite said:
RoboTin said:

I think people have no issues Microsoft buying Playground games and undead laps who made only exclusive games to xbox one like naughty dog, Guerrilla Games and Suckerpunch did before they were acquired by sony. People probably have more issues the studios that were making multiplat games till today.

Just because Microsoft has purchased a Studio... Doesn't mean that the games being made stop being Multiplatform.
Case in point: Minecraft.

That's a little different. Sony already had a deal in place for the game to come to PS platforms before MS purchased them. Unless you're talking about Nintendo.



PSN ID- Rafie27

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

KazumaKiryu said:

In my opinion: Microsoft should rather develop (more) good own games, instead of buying multi-studios -.- 

That is just silly. You can't just suddenly start developing more games as that requires studios and staff, Building studios from scratch is expensive and time consuming, far more cost effective and faster to acquire decent ones that are already productive.