By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Micorosft Studios E3 Expansion - 5 New 1st Party Studios (Ninja Theory, Playground Games, Undead Labs)

Pemalite said:
Rafie said:

That's a little different. Sony already had a deal in place for the game to come to PS platforms before MS purchased them. Unless you're talking about Nintendo.

Either/Or. The precedent still exists.

True. I'm just saying nothing MS could have done about the Minecraft Sony deal when there was one in place before they've acquired it. Still, MS does seem to be more friendly about devs developing for other platforms than the other 2.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:

I'm only sorry to see Ninja Theory go. I guess Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice is the first and last game ever that I'm playing from them.

The other studios are not really much of a surprise and don't change much the state of gaming as it is today. One is brand new so they have not proved themselves yet and the three others are all makers of games that are already MS exclusives like Forza and State of Decay. It's a wonder why they did not belong to MS in the first place. Also State of Decay is not that good and I don't care for Forza so I guess I'll survive.

I was curious about We Happy Few but just curious, nothing more. I should probably see a review or two, to see if it's a big loss for me or not and if it's a good game it's technically NOT a loss since that game is multi-plat, only future games from that studio will be exclusives.

At least PlayStation is still getting that game. It'll be the last game from that developer, but they're still getting it. The story does look intriguing to me.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Manlytears said:

To me MS just acquired 3 studios.

PGG - they are expanding this one so they can work on FH and other open world rpg (Fable?). We are going to see great things here.

The initiative - the hype on this one is big, AAAA games is a bold call, i hope they can deliver.

NT - they are small, but damn they can make good games whit small budget! These guys will deliver good games, just don't know if we are going to see big games every 3-4 years or 1-2 mid tier games, short development time, that will that will be tauted as AAA games. The games are going to be good, that for sure.

The other 2... cannon fodder.... They are only good for "list wars" and "pissing contests", but... this can change, i think...

Anyway, this is a step in the correct direction. They are still well behind Sony, but they sure got closer, i mean... they almost 2x their current number os studios, right?

A new studio delivering an AAAA, they really said that??? Because that very high aim is a certain recipe for failure.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Manlytears said:

To me MS just acquired 3 studios.

PGG - they are expanding this one so they can work on FH and other open world rpg (Fable?). We are going to see great things here.

The initiative - the hype on this one is big, AAAA games is a bold call, i hope they can deliver.

NT - they are small, but damn they can make good games whit small budget! These guys will deliver good games, just don't know if we are going to see big games every 3-4 years or 1-2 mid tier games, short development time, that will that will be tauted as AAA games. The games are going to be good, that for sure.

The other 2... cannon fodder.... They are only good for "list wars" and "pissing contests", but... this can change, i think...

Anyway, this is a step in the correct direction. They are still well behind Sony, but they sure got closer, i mean... they almost 2x their current number os studios, right?

A new studio delivering an AAAA, they really said that??? Because that very high aim is a certain recipe for failure.

And what is an AAAA? Wasn't "AAAA" used for the first time for Destiny? Is it a way to measure overhype and  the related disappointment then? 

Faelco said:
DonFerrari said:

And what is an AAAA? Wasn't "AAAA" used for the first time for Destiny? Is it a way to measure overhype and  the related disappointment then? 

That is probably right =p

Although Destiny at least had good sales to pay for the cost.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Teeqoz said:

You are being short sighted. Like I said, hardware is currently an important way to gain a userbase to sell games and services to, and indeed receive third party royalties. But that doesn't mean it will remain like that for ever. Music, movies have both seen tremendous change in the past few years. Gaming will change too.

Haven't said it won't change, and no need to name calling.

Still their PC store is beaten by Steam anytime of the day. So there is little reason for 3rd parties to pay royalties for MS to sell on PCs.

When did I resort to name calling?

Just because Steam has more marketshare than the Windows Store doesn't mean that MS can't gain marketshare. And they don't have to be the market leader. The Steve Balmer "All or nothing" era of Microsoft is over. They make loads of money from Bing even though they are far behind Google. I'm sure they'll be okay with a profitable gaming business even if they aren't the market leader.

- The Initiative is cool since it's completely new so it will be exciting to see where they go.
- Ninja Theory was unexpected but very welcome have yet to play Hellblade but I want to.
- Playground isn't really a surprise, I think we all saw that coming eventually but they were working on something other than Forza, right? Like, right now? Think I saw job listings about something other than Forza Horizon. At least I hope they aren't stuck on Forza Horizon.
- Undead Labs, a little mixed bag for me since I love State of Decay but I've only heard mediocre things about the second one, could be great though.
- Compulsion Games, why though? We Happy Few had very mixed reception did it not? Granted, it was in early access but still. What else have they done? (looking it up as I write) Contrast? Okay, I remember this one but I don't know why it warrants an acquisition.

All in all, good acquisitions but I'm still confused about Undead Labs and Compulsion, I guess they wanted some smaller studios

Faelco said:
DonFerrari said:

AAAA was used in a job ad posted to make sure every candidate knows that this is big budget stuff and the goal is to create a franchise that fits well besides Halo, Gears, Forza or Fable.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Teeqoz said:
DonFerrari said:

Haven't said it won't change, and no need to name calling.

Still their PC store is beaten by Steam anytime of the day. So there is little reason for 3rd parties to pay royalties for MS to sell on PCs.

When did I resort to name calling?

Just because Steam has more marketshare than the Windows Store doesn't mean that MS can't gain marketshare. And they don't have to be the market leader. The Steve Balmer "All or nothing" era of Microsoft is over. They make loads of money from Bing even though they are far behind Google. I'm sure they'll be okay with a profitable gaming business even if they aren't the market leader.

Calling someone short sighted.

Haven't said they can't gain marketshare, I said that at this moment they have very little. So they will keep needing consoles sales for play anywhere or even gamepass to do good.

DirtyP2002 said:
Faelco said:

AAAA was used in a job ad posted to make sure every candidate knows that this is big budget stuff and the goal is to create a franchise that fits well besides Halo, Gears, Forza or Fable.

Neither of those 4 are AAAA.

Azzanation said:
I wonder with there new studio Initiative, if they will give them a old IP to work on as a practice game, like the Coalition with Gears 4 and Playground with the rumoured Fable 4. Curious to know if this studio might handle the next Perfect Dark game.. Yeah I know, I am dying for a PD game, and I am not giving up hope.

The Initiative is working on a new IP that is confirmed on Job listings.