By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Ancient Organic Molecules Discovered on Mars!

But deskpro2k3, what is an Organic Molecule?

Answer: Organic molecules are the molecules of life and are built around chains of carbon atoms. There are four main organic molecules that combine to build cells and their parts: carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, and nucleic acids (DNA/RNA).

Source: https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-finds-ancient-organic-material-mysterious-methane-on-mars

The Curiosity rover has discovered ancient organic molecules on Mars, embedded within sedimentary rocks that are billions of years old.

Ancient Organics Discovered on Mars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0gsz8EHiNc

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

Hurray, alien life has been proven to have existed at some point!

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

deskpro2k3 said:

But deskpro2k3, what is an Organic Molecule?

Answer: Organic molecules are the molecules of life and are built around chains of carbon atoms. There are four main organic molecules that combine to build cells and their parts: carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, and nucleic acids (DNA/RNA).

This sounds like organic molecules are only created by life. But non-life chemical processes are known to create organic molecules. And actually it is the other way around: life is created only in the presence of organic molecules. But yes, most organic molecules are produced by living organisms.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Well. Seems like ezekiel is not the crazy Prophet but the one who was the most sane.

Around the Network

It must be Aliens poops

This proves little to none; for one, life on Earth is said to have originated on Mars. Secondly, organic molecules can be created by non-living processes as well.

Azuren said:
Hurray, alien life has been proven to have existed at some point!

In all seriousness, if alien life could be proven to exist, imagine the implications!

...We are NOT alone...

Organic molecules are simply molecules with carbon atoms, excluding a few things like CO2, CO, metal carbides and cyanides. They don't have to be formed by living organisms, and indeed the organic molecules disovered by the curiosity rover were rather simple and could easily be formed by inorganic processes.

It is an interesting finding though. The question is, if there was/is life on mars, will we even discover it at all before we contaminate the planet with earthly organisms that destroy any indigenous ecosystem?

I do hope they find something fossilized eventually.